Thread: 2010 Monaco Historic Grand Prix report and slideshow ...

2010 Monaco Historic Grand Prix report and slideshow ...

On the tight streets of the small Principality on the Mediterranean shore, the 7th Monaco Historic Grand Prix was held this weekend. Usually eligible for the bi-annual meet are cars that raced in the contemporary Grand Prix from 1929 to the late 1970s. For the newly added Formula 3 cars, the cut-off was extended to 1984 this year. The unique event allows the current custodians of the classic cars to tread in the steps of legendary drivers that starred on the demanding track like Stirling Moss, Graham Hill and Ayrton Senna. The Historic Grand Prix also attracts its fair share of rarely seen machinery. This year our attention was particularly grabbed by the unusual CTA Arsenal, which was driven in anger for the first time since 1947, and the freshly restored Lotus 49 that was driven to a debut victory by Jim Clark back in 1967.
    In addition to the on-track activity, there was also plenty of action in the various auction rooms set up around the track. Canadian auctioneer RM Auctions completely overshadowed the competition with their inaugural 'Sporting Classics of Monaco' sale. At the end of the evening the company sold 88 of the 105 cars consigned for a staggering 33 million Euro, which represents a new record for a one-day auction. The sale was topped by the Ferrari 400 Superamerica earlier this week although in a post-auction transaction, the BMW 328 Buegelfalte Roadster sold for in undisclosed amount, which we believe to be somewhere between four and five million Euro.
    Our reporters were at the glamorous event for its full duration. They have returned with an in-depth report and an exclusive 230-shot gallery with pictures of the auctions and all eight races.

Enjoy the links:

2010 Monaco Historic Grand Prix report and slideshow
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

great article and a joy to read, it was pretty cool to see Emanuele Pirro win in somethin other than an Audi. As for the auction i'm rly surprised the Cobra 289 didn't go for a million b/c that chassis # (i can't remember the # off the top of my head but it's in one of my books back home) is one of the most winningest

Monaco

Thanks again Wouter for outstanding coverage on the historic Monaco race and RM auction. What beautiful cars and such a beautiful venue. Thank my parents and fate that I should live in the same historic moment. Even though I will probably never make it there, you have brought it to me and many others in your report.

Thread Information