Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Techno Classica 2010

I checked my shots, taken wednesday afternoon, and this is what I have of the two Californias, where the Batmobile is clearly not present......
    As a small compensation, some other BMW related cars, a 1600 GT, a 3.0 CSi, a 2000 Tii (The first BMW with fuel injection) and an oddity, a Glas 1304 TS, which at its time was a sort of GTI, with 85BHP and 700 kg. The two door Peugeot is a one-off concept of a coupe bases on the 505, intended for the US market, but never entered production.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Switching back to the italians with some Maserati pics !

Tipo 61 better known as the Birdcage

One of my favorite tridents : the Sebring (s1)

Giugiaro (Ghia) did a fantastic job with the Ghibli !

Little Osca with a big price tag participated in this years MM

Also very rare is the 5000GT (Allemano body)

Barcelona number plate on that 5000GT!
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Barcelona number plate on that 5000GT!
    Indeed ! sold new in Barcelona : Galerie Des Damiers - MASERATI 5000 GT Coupé Allemano 1964

Back to the Germans with Porsche that's always well represented in Essen.

Porsche 917K Le Mans winner 1970

The 959 in the outdoor market

Le Mans beast Porsche GT1

Dutch MM sponsor State of Art stand

The Porsche 917K is NOT the Le Mans winner, it is another chassis, made to look like it. The real winner is in the USA. Porsche is very much aware of this, but let people believe that what they show is the real thing.

P.S. Can I ask you to use the attachment system, in stead of links? In this way the pictures will stay on UCP permanently, and are not dependent on the existence of this external link.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    The Porsche 917K is NOT the Le Mans winner, it is another chassis, made to look like it. The real winner is in the USA. Porsche is very much aware of this, but let people believe that what they show is the real thing.
    Porsche has done this more than once: Type 64K10's doppelganger is currently making the rounds.
    Sadly it isn't the only manufacturer to sell history with a replica. Here's the real one.

EDIT, information from 917 blog: "Upon the death of Vasak Polak in 1997, the confusion was rectified through a legally observed, photo-documented process where the chassis numbers were switched back. This was done as part of the settlement of Polak’s estate which not only included his ownership of complete 917s but also a vast supply of spare parts. The Matsuda collection (perhaps happily) found that rather than owning the Sebring-winning 020, they actually had the 1970 Le Mans-winning 023. The car was then acquired by Symbolic Motors of La Jolla, CA from the Matsuda Collection. In the year 2000, the car was listed for sale by Symbolic for an asking price of $3.5 million. The car was purchased in 2001 and is still owned by Dr. Julio Palmaz, a major collector of Porsche racing cars. Both the Hezard book, and a 2002 article in Excellence magazine discuss Dr. Palmaz’ pre-purchase research and subsequent analysis of the paintwork to document the car’s history. Apparently the bodywork revealed the proper sequence of colors when sanded down: red/white on top, then Gulf blue, Martini silver (1971), red/white (Le Mans and Zeltweg) and the original white gel coat. I saw 023 at Lime Rock in 2001 for the Rennsport Reunion and at Monterey in 2009, looking splendid and dignified. At Le Mans, in 1970, the red and white 023 may have seemed lost in a sea of red Ferraris as it circulated through the first 12 hours. As the winner of that historic race, the car now stands out in any gathering of Porsche racing cars, all the more so with its unusual red paint scheme."
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by csl177; 05-17-2010 at 07:10 PM. Reason: clarification of porsche 917k #023 history
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Porsche has done this more than once: Type 64K10's doppelganger is currently making the rounds.
    Sadly it isn't the only manufacturer to sell history with a replica. Here's the real one.
    Yes very sad so many replica's and continuations these days !

It is not at all unusual, unfortunately. Bentley displayed the Le Mans winning Speed 8 in Australia a few years ago the same weekend the Le Mans winning Speed 8 was also displayed by them at Goodwood...
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Thread Information