Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye Mercury.

Goodbye Mercury.

It is now official: FoMoCo will kill off its long since badge engineered slightly-upmarket-from-ford-but-not-as-upmarket-as-lincoln brand.

i am not sad. while they have had a few hits over the years (cougar, marauder) they have had many more misses. and all of the cars are just rebadged fords that were never very good to start with. it was the same with plymouth for chrysler, and oldsmobile for GM, and while some were upset to see them go, noone was truly broken hearted. their pinnacle was long ago.

is this a continued sign of the times, with Carpocalypse still hanging in the air? i don't think so. i think this was a long time coming. it had been talked about for the last 20 years, only it never made quite as much financial sense as it does right now. The final cars will roll of the line late this year, and they will likely still sit on dealer lots.

so goodbye, and sorry you lived so long past your prime. as neil young once wrote, it is better to burn out than to fade away. i just wish it hadn't taken so long for you to fade.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

not a bad decision in this day and age.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Cougar as in the FWD coupe? I never noticed the old Cougar but I'm sure the old one was much better than the newer one.

Ford had this coming a long time ago. I am not surprised either.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Cougar as in the FWD coupe? I never noticed the old Cougar but I'm sure the old one was much better than the newer one.
    no.

still racing
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    no.
    I thought so. I don't know much about the history of the old one, but even I know the last generation Cougar doesn't even come close to the original Cougar.

I am quite surprised it took this long.
    I mean, Mercury outliving Pontiac. Seriously?
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Carpocalypse still hanging in the air?
    Carpocalypse is coming, maybe not in the way we exepcted it, but coming nevertheless.
    Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    I thought so. I don't know much about the history of the old one, but even I know the last generation Cougar doesn't even come close to the original Cougar.
    The Mondeo Coupe actually wasn't bad at all apparently. We almost bought one.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I heard about this. I honestly wasn't even aware Mercury was still around until I read an article about Ford potentially killing it a week ago or so...

And the Mondeo was here in America I believe as the Contour? If so, the sedan form is what I practically learned to drive in. I liked it, despite the problems it was starting to have when I got to it.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Quote Originally Posted by CdocZ View Post
    I heard about this. I honestly wasn't even aware Mercury was still around until I read an article about Ford potentially killing it a week ago or so...

And the Mondeo was here in America I believe as the Contour? If so, the sedan form is what I practically learned to drive in. I liked it, despite the problems it was starting to have when I got to it.
    contour and Merc Mystique. not bad cars, but as history has proven time and again, most of the best stuff the big 3 sell were designed in europe.

Not sad to see it go but their last badge engineered models i thought looked better than their Ford siblings like the Montego (Five Hundred) and the Mariner (Escape)

Goodbye, won't miss you.

Should have shot Lincoln in the head too. That way we wouldn't have to hear every other rapper mention about crusin' in the Navigator in shit music.

Mercury is a brand with no discernable differentiation from other FoMoCo brands, it was never long for this world.

Fare thee well Mercury, we hardly knew ye. Not that there was ever much to know.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

contour and Merc Mystique. not bad cars, but as history has proven time and again, most of the best stuff the big 3 sell were designed in europe.
    I still have a 2000 Contour SVT which has 136,000 miles on it, still a good car. Does a lot of things well, handling, comfy seats for road trips. Recently checked the mileage on a trip and it returned 29.8 mpg from the 2.5 200hp V6.

As for Mercury...yes way overdue.

Thread Information