Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye Mercury.

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    Should have shot Lincoln in the head too. That way we wouldn't have to hear every other rapper mention about crusin' in the Navigator in shit music.
    If they can pull a Continental they are still welcomed in my book. As they are now they are pretty useless though.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

No surprise here other than what took so long. My best guess was that so long as Lincoln is starved for products having a Mercury brand gave them something else to sell. I suspect Mercury was launched back when it was clear GM was doing very well with their multi-tiered branding. However, what sets the GM brands apart was, back in the day, they weren't just brand engineering. The brands were run as semi-autonomous entities that often competed with each other. I'm more sadden by the death of Olds and Pontiac, both of which had some truly unique and innovative cars over the years vs the death of Mercury. Hopefully along with this we will see Lincoln start to regain it's status.

Ford did the right thing. Mercury hasn't been very popular during the last 20 years, and most of their models are too closely related to their Ford counterparts. For me, Mercury has never been as interesting as (for example) Pontiac or Plymouth, although we got neither of them over here.
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    If they can pull a Continental they are still welcomed in my book. As they are now they are pretty useless though.
    I'm not sure what youre referring to with pull a Continental but if things play out as planned Lincoln could be getting a few unique bodied RWD products in a few years. There seems to be a big effort within Ford to emulate the success of Lexus and Infiniti with Lincoln and possibly even push them overseas.
    I am the Stig

FORD TO EXPAND LINCOLN LINEUP AND BRAND EMPHASIS; MERCURY PRODUCTION ENDS IN FOURTH QUARTER OF 2010

* Ford is expanding its Lincoln lineup with seven all-new or significantly refreshed vehicles in the next four years – including its first-ever C-segment vehicle
    * Lincoln's plan accelerates with more investment and attention on standout product design, class-leading technology and powertrains delivering top performance and fuel efficiency Lincoln product development, marketing, sales and service resources expanding as the brand competes with Cadillac and Lexus in the marketplace
    * Ford will end production of Mercury vehicles in the fourth quarter of this year to fully devote its financial, product development, production and marketing, sales and service resources toward further growing its core Ford brand while enhancing Lincoln
    * Existing Mercury owners to receive continued access to parts and service support at Ford and Lincoln dealers; current Mercury vehicle warranties and Extended Service Plans will be honored; special offers available on new Mercury vehicles through the summer
    * Affected dealers to receive specialized support during the transition, as the company continues its transformation to a more profitable dealer network

DEARBORN, Mich., June 2, 2010 – Ford Motor Company will expand and enhance its Lincoln brand lineup with seven all-new or significantly refreshed vehicles in the next four years as part of an aggressive growth plan focused on standout product design, class-leading technology and new powertrains – all aimed at competing with Cadillac and Lexus in North America.

Ford also will end production of Mercury vehicles in the fourth quarter of this year to fully devote its financial, product development, production and marketing, sales and service resources toward further growing its core Ford brand while enhancing the Lincoln brand.

"We have made tremendous progress on profitably growing the Ford brand during the past few years. Now, it is time to do the same for Lincoln," said Mark Fields, Ford's president of The Americas. "The new Lincoln vehicles will transform luxury for North American premium customers through an unexpected blend of responsive driving enjoyment and warm, inviting comfort. We will also offer our customers a world-class retail experience through a vibrant retail network."

Lincoln's hallmarks will be refined, modern design, the most fuel-efficient premium powertrains and industry-leading technology that create a unique driver experience both in the cabin and on the road.

"Profitably growing Lincoln in North America is an important part of our One Ford plan," said Alan Mulally, Ford president and CEO. "Our Ford brand is gaining momentum and winning customers around the world. Now, we are going to use the same laser focus to further strengthen Lincoln and deliver even more products luxury customers really want and value."

Foundation Set

The future of Lincoln is building from a strong base that includes the all-new flagship MKS large sedan, the all-new MKT seven-passenger crossover and a significantly refreshed MKZ mid-size sedan – all now in showrooms. The hybrid version of the MKZ will reach showrooms later this year and is expected to be the most fuel efficient premium sedan on the market.

Lincoln's product actions continue later this year with the debut of the significantly refreshed 2011 MKX crossover, the first vehicle to feature MyLincoln Touch driver connect technology.

This will be followed by another six all-new or significantly refreshed vehicles within four years developed with Lincoln's DNA of standout design, precise and confident driving experience, class-leading technology and powertrains delivering top performance and fuel efficiency.

Lincoln will be led by expanded product development and marketing, sales and service teams to support the brand's growth plan and ensure it has a strong cadence of distinct products that are well positioned in the market. Plans for Lincoln include:

* Lincoln's first-ever C-segment vehicle
    * New Lincoln-exclusive powertrains, including an all-new V-6 engine and advanced fuel-efficient transmissions
    * EcoBoost engines available in all Lincolns – from the Navigator full-size SUV to the new C-segment Lincoln
    * Fuel economy leadership with each new vehicle – leading to Lincoln emerging as the most fuel-efficient luxury lineup on the market
    * More useful technology and features than any other competitor – with a special focus on comfort and convenience.
    * New advanced features include: fully retractable glass roofs; adaptive computer-controlled suspensions; electronic, push-button gear-selectors; active noise control; and exclusive
    * MyLincoln Touch driver connect technology

"Lincoln vehicles will reward drivers with smooth, effortless power complemented by agile handling and responsive steering," said Derrick Kuzak, Ford's group vice president, Global Product Development. "The cabin is a sanctuary with segment-leading quietness, genuine materials and intuitive, useful technology."

Lincoln has started gaining traction with customers, as evidenced by market share gains during the past five years. Lincoln's share of the retail U.S. luxury vehicle market has grown from 4.5 percent in 2005 to 6.3 percent through the first quarter of 2010.

In addition, Lincoln's reputation with consumers has risen, with favorable opinion and purchase consideration reaching its highest level in the past five years. Lincoln's long-term durability was second only to Porsche's in the 2010 J.D. Power and Associates Vehicle Dependability Survey.

Mercury

Mercury originally was created as a premium offering to Ford and was an important source of incremental sales. However, the continued strength of the Ford brand – particularly during the past three years – has accelerated the migration from Mercury to Ford for many customers.

Today, Mercury's customer profile, pricing and margins are almost identical to Ford, but Mercury's incremental sales have been declining.

The majority of current Mercury sales are to fleet buyers and customers purchasing through employee, retiree and friends and family discounts, which Ford anticipates largely can be satisfied by Ford brand vehicles.

Of Ford Motor Company's 16 percent market share in the U.S., Mercury accounts for 0.8 percentage points, a level that has been flat or declining for the past several years. That contrasts with the Ford brand, which has increased market share by 2.2 percentage points so far this year on the strength of new products and improved quality, fuel efficiency, safety, smart design and value.

Ford's strengthening financial position – including the return to profitability and positive cash flow – allows the company to absorb short-term costs associated with the discontinuation of Mercury and to consolidate future product investments into Lincoln.

Today, there are no stand-alone Mercury dealerships in North America. Ford is working closely with dealers to maintain properly located stand-alone Lincoln or Ford-Lincoln dealers, which will offer dealers and the company the greatest opportunity for long-term profitable growth.

New operational standards developed with the company's dealers will facilitate a Lincoln customer experience that exceeds the expectations of North American luxury customers.

Personal Attention

Ford will work closely with Mercury dealers and customers during the transition, including providing existing Mercury owners with continued access to parts and service support at Ford and Lincoln dealers and by honoring current warranties, including Ford's Extended Service Plans.

"We are 100 percent committed to supporting Mercury owners through Ford and Lincoln dealerships and working hard to keep them as valued customers in the future," Fields said.

"At the same time, we will work closely with our dealers to phase out Mercury franchises and continue to build a healthy, growing Lincoln with strong new products and a profitable dealer network that delivers a world-class customer experience."

Mercury owners will receive additional details in the coming days explaining the transition and assuring them that Ford and its dealers will continue to provide all necessary parts and service support for Mercury products.

Ford has notified Mercury dealers of the decision and provided details of a financial package that includes payment in exchange for resigning the franchise.

Ford today also informed dealers of special offers on new Mercury vehicles that will be available through the summer to support the sell down of current Mercury inventory and remaining Mercury vehicle production.

"We are taking decisive action and moving into the future with the right plan to deliver profitable growth for all stakeholders," Fields said. "These moves position us to continue building momentum through strong brands, great products and an unwavering focus on the customer."
    "Wise man say: Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

Can I ask Lincoln to stop with the alphabet soup names? After a while it becomes hard to know if the MDX vs CTX, vs MKS is an Acura, Lincoln or the train that moved them.

Lincoln has at least been keeping to MKx, but i think theyve got a few more models planned with that nomenclature.
    I am the Stig

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA
    My car's an orphan now.

I get the sense that I'm the only one around here who will miss Mercury. I think the brand was as much a victim of an indifferent public as it was of badge engineering. If you could afford to spend a little more to get a better looking, slightly more luxurious, and less common version of a car you were going to buy anyway, why wouldn't you? But most buyers seem content with blending in and with mediocrity, and thus Ford sales have risen while Mercury sales have fallen. Many of them probably aren't even savvy enough to even consider Mercury when looking at Fords (and I'm sure Ford dealers would rather sell a Ford loaded with options than suggest that the buyer go across town to check out the Lincoln-Mercury dealer). And of course the really savvy folks haven't been buying American anyway.

So it's saddening and disheartening, but I have to admit that it's not completely unexpected. I just hate to see the automotive world get a little bit less interesting - I'd rather see 9 Tauruses and 1 Sable in a day than just 10 Tauruses.

Any Oldsmobile owners care to commiserate with me?
    UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
    UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    I'm not sure what youre referring to with pull a Continental but if things play out as planned Lincoln could be getting a few unique bodied RWD products in a few years. There seems to be a big effort within Ford to emulate the success of Lexus and Infiniti with Lincoln and possibly even push them overseas.
    That's exactly what I meant. It seems Lincoln could have a bright future then.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy (in VA) View Post
    My car's an orphan now.

I get the sense that I'm the only one around here who will miss Mercury. I think the brand was as much a victim of an indifferent public as it was of badge engineering. If you could afford to spend a little more to get a better looking, slightly more luxurious, and less common version of a car you were going to buy anyway, why wouldn't you? But most buyers seem content with blending in and with mediocrity, and thus Ford sales have risen while Mercury sales have fallen. Many of them probably aren't even savvy enough to even consider Mercury when looking at Fords (and I'm sure Ford dealers would rather sell a Ford loaded with options than suggest that the buyer go across town to check out the Lincoln-Mercury dealer). And of course the really savvy folks haven't been buying American anyway.

So it's saddening and disheartening, but I have to admit that it's not completely unexpected. I just hate to see the automotive world get a little bit less interesting - I'd rather see 9 Tauruses and 1 Sable in a day than just 10 Tauruses.

Any Oldsmobile owners care to commiserate with me?
    I was expecting your comment
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA
    ^

I've got the Mercury Blues, but I'll survive.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHEzBdtbQ6k"]Mercury Blues[/ame]
    UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
    UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    That's exactly what I meant. It seems Lincoln could have a bright future then.
    The next 4 years is a long time, but its within the timeframe for the next all new Mustang and Falcon, or at least close enough to debut any technologies those 2 will be sharing in the future.

I think their short term focus though might be this C segment vehicle, which could be one of the 11 variants of the new Focus platform
    I am the Stig

Where drug dealers and asian stores are born, California
    I could care less for Mercury leaving, the only time I was interested in one was when I was thinking of buying one of the newer fwd Cougar XR. It would be good for ford to ax Mercury. I second LTSmash's proposal to shoot Lincoln in the head, just make it quick and painless, I did have a small love for Lincolns.
    “Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.”
    -Jeremy Clarkson

I don't agree with axing Lincoln as well. They've been faring much better in product and sales than Mercury these last few years, and there's lots of untapped potential there if Ford is willing to invest the money in it. Mercury was just the anonymous middle child that no one ever talked about. It could have been more successful if better choices had been made in the past, but that wasn't the case. Better to cut your losses now and put money into what's working.
    "Wise man say: Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

Axing Lincoln would be stupid. Lincoln has sadly fallen way off it's peak however Ford needs a luxury brand. With the sale of Jag and Volvo what brand would Ford use? Lincoln at least has history behind it and at one point was a brand that was every bit as high end as Caddy and maybe even Mercedes. It certainly was as high end as any of the Japanese brands in the 1960s when Lincoln was the ride of the president.

Ford needs a Luxury brand. Killing Lincoln would be stupid because it would mean starting all over again.

Thread Information