Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barn Find

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    cough .... splutter .... WTF? .... seriously ?

Thank feck I'm away for a week or this convo would have been todays "chef's special"
    For when you return...

Come on...!
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Fun sleuthing, eh Coolieman? Doesn't the proper grille look better than the RR? Kind of amazing it's survived that dry on an island. Also, kinda sad that it'll likely only move on after the old man passes... too often that's the fate of cars like this.

Value is also sadly limited... this is a $4,000 car, max. Fully restored cars of this model are only in the low $30K range with limited market appeal, so using this as a donor for a period-style special would be the most fun for dollar.

Unfortunately it'll still drive like a truck.
    It was fun! I would prefer the proper grille. I also think the Bentley "B" emblem looks nicer than the spirit of extasy. I was also surpirsed at how good condition it still is. And its actually a pretty humid island, (Tropical) I had an uncle who wanted to buy it but the seller wouldn't budge. Yeah it is sad that this is its fate. If it were a coupe or a drophead it would be worth A LOT more. Back in the day it must have been a fortune but unfortuneately its expensive to find parts and to restore such an old car is hard. I guess sentimental value would help it? You think its rarity and its name along with a post war car would help its value right? but no

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Wow! That is a beautiful old car.
    It looks so great with the patina it's gotten too, I hope if it's ever restored that they do one of the "sympathetic restorations" or whatever they're called when the car is merely brought up to running condition without replacing and repainting everything, though I;d imagine the interior isn't looking too good.
    EDIT: Doh! Didn't see the interior shots.
    It really is, I love the suicide front doors and regular hinged rears. I agree with your restoration ideas and i was shocked when i opened the door and the interior was in excellent condition and smelled nice too. leather still in GREAT shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    This is part of why the classic car market astonishes me. This is a very rare car and yet somehow it's basically worthless. I guess it doesn't have a Ferrari or Bugatti badge on it, so that means it's worth peanuts.

My buddy looks at 69-70 Coupe de Villes on eBay and they sell in good shape for 15-20k USD. Those are surely rare as shit, they are beautiful, and from an era when Cadillac was the standard of the world. But once again, they are cheap as ****.

not a Ferrari or Bugatti but its still a Bentley that was made at the time being owned by Rolls Royce but you're right is astonishes me too.

and now this thread takes off on tangents! haha
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

There shouldn't actually need to be that many parts replaced.

They where built like tanks and so long as you don't do anything stupid (like try to start it in there) a full strip, clean and rebuild should have it back to perfect running condition.

Keep showing an interest in it, and he may sell it to you. Then trailer it out of there, and get the parts needed (Bentley grill, and csl's list) and go to work...
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Thread Information