Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new dSLR, Canon 1000d?

Looking for a new dSLR, Canon 1000d?

It's for a friend of mine, which is studying cinema and would like to buy a reflex camera to practice with all the settings and learn something. For the record, buying an equivalent videocamera would be completely out of budget, plus his school has a few of them and it's something you generally rent at the beginning.

Anyway, his top budget would be around 1.000 €, but I'm advicing him to lower it sensibly. First of all, he doesn't have a decent laptop (G4 iBook, about to die) and he will leave for London for the next three months.
    He is also a beginner with reflex cameras, so my advice was to buy an entry level or so, and to get a laptop as well.
    He doesn't want to buy something he'd eventually need to replace too soon, but on th other hand we both know by the time he will properly know how to use a mroe expensive camera, it would be either depreciated or not useful for him anymore.

There are few Nikon D90s with 18-55 and 55-200 lenses for about 1.000 €, while starting from tomorrow there will be an offer on a local store for a Canon 1000D for 350 €. The Nikon D3000 would be a little more expensive, and kits with a 55-200 lenses would reach the 500/600 € mark.

I'd personally go for the Canon, perhaps with the 55-200 too.

Thoughts, suggestions?
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

I'd say go for the Canons. As much as I love Nikon, they implement video a bit better than Nikon does in their bodies, from what I hear. The T2i is pretty much the cheapest Canon DSLR that has video.

Can't help you much more with Canon- I know nothing about them pretty much.

If he goes Nikon, it's the D5000 he wants, not the D3000. The D3000 has no video function.

And if he really wants to work with video, make sure he updates his laptop. The Canon has 18 megapixels, I don't think he'll be going anywhere quickly, especially when he's working with video.

The D90 is great for stills though.

Not sure how much he would use them for video, but thanks for the advices.

Any experience with Pentax? He was also pointed towards the K7, but I personally don't like Ps, the idea od the motoring in the body doesn't appeal me, even if I could use older or motor-less lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    I'd say go for the Canons. As much as I love Nikon, they implement video a bit better than Nikon does in their bodies, from what I hear. The T2i is pretty much the cheapest Canon DSLR that has video.

Can't help you much more with Canon- I know nothing about them pretty much.

If he goes Nikon, it's the D5000 he wants, not the D3000. The D3000 has no video function.

And if he really wants to work with video, make sure he updates his laptop. The Canon has 18 megapixels, I don't think he'll be going anywhere quickly, especially when he's working with video.

The D90 is great for stills though.
    yeah Canon has been doin a great job with videos' on their DSLR's but i am a purist so i think DSLRS are for stills only! Nikon all the way! so i'm totally biased! i've used every single nikon made from the D50 up, including high end camera's with video like the D3s and D700 (my 300 is not an s) and i've never ever used the video feature.
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Pentax are great for starters as the bodies and glass are relatively cheap and the photos are actually pretty nifty. My mate is currently touring the US with his K-X and the photos he's producing are great.

I personally have a Canon set up and speak highly of the brand, but again get the best glass he can get for the price rather than the body - a decent body with great glass is better than the other way around.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Not sure how much he would use them for video, but thanks for the advices.

Any experience with Pentax? He was also pointed towards the K7, but I personally don't like Ps, the idea od the motoring in the body doesn't appeal me, even if I could use older or motor-less lenses.
    I thought from your first statement that he wanted video. If he doesn't then pretty much any maker except Sony would do fine for him. No one really makes a terrible DSLR, and the only reason why the Sony sucks is because their user interface is absolutely terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220 View Post
    yeah Canon has been doin a great job with videos' on their DSLR's but i am a purist so i think DSLRS are for stills only! Nikon all the way! so i'm totally biased! i've used every single nikon made from the D50 up, including high end camera's with video like the D3s and D700 (my 300 is not an s) and i've never ever used the video feature.
    I'm biased too, but Nikon is not good at video, not yet at least. And some people really need megapixels but can't afford a D3x.

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    Pentax are great for starters as the bodies and glass are relatively cheap and the photos are actually pretty nifty. My mate is currently touring the US with his K-X and the photos he's producing are great.

I personally have a Canon set up and speak highly of the brand, but again get the best glass he can get for the price rather than the body - a decent body with great glass is better than the other way around.
    Pentax is pretty cool. Along with Nikon, they're pretty much the only other DSLR manufacturer that hasn't changed their mount once. Props to that, but I'm even less familiar with Pentax than Canon.

Glass FTW. I wonder how it would be like, sticking a 70-200 on a D40.

thanks chaps.
    he is actually reconsidering the whole thing due to money being required for something else, but these tips will still be good for a while, no?

Absolutely.

In a few months the prices of decent cameras will have dropped as consumers insatiable appetite for megapixels eats up sales

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    Absolutely.

In a few months the prices of decent cameras will have dropped as consumers insatiable appetite for megapixels eats up sales
    indeed the dombos who think that one zillion megapixels decides on the quality of the shot....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Yea.. one day they'll market the size/quality of the sensor as effectively and we'll get proper demand for better cameras...
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Thats why I got the S90.

It's not that many megapixels, but for it's size it has a massive sensor. Even moderately high ISO shots are great, but F2.0 means I can shoot fairly low ISO anyway

Sometimes, size does matter.

good lads, you both immediately understood what I was hinting at
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

We is knowing about shits, yo. Werd, fo' shizzley, etcetera.

*Cue Whiteballz DICK post*

Seriously though, the sensor in the S90 is about the same size as in my DSLR, which is kind of amazing.

Thread Information