Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bmw 2002

Bmw 2002

Hey guys,

So on my bus ride home these past few days I've seen a BMW 2002 in a parking lot looks like its for sale. All the other cars near it are for sale so I'd imagine this one is too. I'm hoping to take a closer look at it and see how much they want for it. The exterior looks to be in excellent condition good paint, no peeling of any sort. The interior also looks to be good. I don't think its a tii, if it were i'd want it NOW. I'm really considering it as a project car because of how simple it is to fix and drive. I hear its a great car to drive. Have any of you guys had any experiences with it? I can't imagine it being too difficult to work on since its old. I'd put historic insurance on it so it'll be cheap and easy to insure. What do you guys think about my plan? Good bad?
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

friend's dad has one with the S14 motor from the M3, hammers along. looks great too. go for it!
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Definitely a GOOD plan. I've never driven one nor do i know anyone who owns one, but from what i heared, it should be great. Good luck for the project (if you decide to buy itz )
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

If it's not rusty and runs well, go for it! But look everywhere for the tinworm, as well as stress cracks in the front subframe and any damage to the shock towers on the front and rear wheel wells. Seriously... look EVERYWHERE. If there's any rust, move on. If it's a roundie that's a bonus... if it WERE a tii expect 50% or higher asking. Frankly, a well set-up M10 with Webers, 292 cam and header will outperform the injected car, with less fuss.

The S14 swap was the original late '80s hot setup, now almost common but a great way to go if you have the scratch. A guy in Georgia did an amazing M30 swap that us CCA guys marveled at 25 years ago. It went like the Hammers of Hell in a straight line, but oinked it's way around corners. I've seen a couple with the M42 which is tidy and a fraction of the cost of the M3 S14, but honestly, the original M10 is easy to tune and robust. Swap in a later 5-spd only for cruising, the 4-spd is good as it is. The LSD from a 320iS is a good add, too... and coil-over kits from Eibach are reasonable.

Post some photos if you can... condition #3 or better, expect to pay $3,500-7,000 or more in the current market. Good luck!

BMW 2002 Registry - Homepage of The New BMW 2002 Registry
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Good plan indeed.

Keep us updated.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

You're really planning on buying it? When you texted me you were just treating it as a car spot.

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    If it's not rusty and runs well, go for it! But look everywhere for the tinworm, as well as stress cracks in the front subframe and any damage to the shock towers on the front and rear wheel wells. Seriously... look EVERYWHERE. If there's any rust, move on. If it's a roundie that's a bonus... if it WERE a tii expect 50% or higher asking. Frankly, a well set-up M10 with Webers, 292 cam and header will outperform the injected car, with less fuss.

The S14 swap was the original late '80s hot setup, now almost common but a great way to go if you have the scratch. A guy in Georgia did an amazing M30 swap that us CCA guys marveled at 25 years ago. It went like the Hammers of Hell in a straight line, but oinked it's way around corners. I've seen a couple with the M42 which is tidy and a fraction of the cost of the M3 S14, but honestly, the original M10 is easy to tune and robust. Swap in a later 5-spd only for cruising, the 4-spd is good as it is. The LSD from a 320iS is a good add, too... and coil-over kits from Eibach are reasonable.

Post some photos if you can... condition #3 or better, expect to pay $3,500-7,000 or more in the current market. Good luck!

BMW 2002 Registry - Homepage of The New BMW 2002 Registry
    i've seen some really good examples of M10's turbo'd in E30's, but hell there's an N/A 2.1L kit that nets ~220bhp..which is enough for a light car like that.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

so guys i went and checked it out preliminarily last night. my heart dropped when I pulled up behind it. it said "Automatic" and low and behold it had an auto tranny =( However the interior was in GREAT condition, the exterior was not bad either. Seems like 150k miles. square tail lights, might be a 73 or so. i'm gonna go today and check it out further, maybe drive it. i might still get it, do a manual swap. who knows. we'll see where it goes
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Heh heh, lowball the price... slushbox 2002s are impossible to sell, you should get a good enough deal to pay for the tranny swap.

Exactly. You're likely to want to update a lot of that stuff anyway.

As long as the bones are good, you should be sweet.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Heh heh, lowball the price... slushbox 2002s are impossible to sell, you should get a good enough deal to pay for the tranny swap.
    i went to look at it today, the seller wants 10 grand for it. its a 1975. yeah ok....
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220 View Post
    i went to look at it today, the seller wants 10 grand for it. its a 1975. yeah ok....
    and you are offering 4?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Which is what a manual one costs here...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Crack pipe. He obviously doesn't want to sell it... it would have to be time-capsule good, loaded with options at that price.
    Be patient, know what you're looking at and you'll find your car. Try these, not that far from you:

1973 BMW 2002 *Price Reduced!!*

1971 bmw 2002

EDIT: For more, use this link... happy hunting. http://www2.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.c...mit=++++go++++
    Last edited by csl177; 06-29-2010 at 05:58 PM.

Hey guys,

So on my bus ride home these past few days I've seen a BMW 2002 in a parking lot looks like its for sale. All the other cars near it are for sale so I'd imagine this one is too. I'm hoping to take a closer look at it and see how much they want for it. The exterior looks to be in excellent condition good paint, no peeling of any sort. The interior also looks to be good.
    Silly question here. How can you tell the interior looks in good condition from the bus?? The proyect sounds great, good luck with it. Keep us posted.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Thread Information