Thread: Designs of some grand prix cars from the 40's and 50's

Designs of some grand prix cars from the 40's and 50's

Hey Guys,
    I was wondering if anyone would know where I can find some designs of some grand prix cars from the 40's and 50's that I could build. Like a one off car. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. For the past few years I have gottin really into the pre war era and alot of cars that Mike Hawthorn and the guys have drivin. Its just amazing. Anywayz thanks
    Kyle K

well, the period you have chosen is a bit odd, in the 40s people were mostly at war, and the second half of the 40s saw mostly pre-war cars reappearing for a while. (and Hawthorn was definitely post-war).

Anyway, try to get hold of a copy of the famous Pomeroy book on racecar design, and also the work done by Cyril Posthumus might give quite a few possible designs, and his drawings are good too.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I'll second that... adding to Henk's suggestions, a copy of LJK Setright's "The Grand Prix, 1906 to 1972" could be of help. Used booksellers should provide one for around $75 or so. Also check cutaway artist sources like the Autosport BB: The AUTOSPORT Bulletin Board
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

I know Hawthorn was Post war aha. Thanks guys.
    I really want to do alot of research and so on. Before myself and some mechanic's and engineers get going on this
    Kyle

Thread Information