Thread: 1988-98 Toyota Tacoma mechanical gremlins

1994 Toyota Tacoma (hilux) mechanical gremlins

My friend is looking to buy a Tacoma of this year/generation, and as I know more about cars than he does, he wants me to help out. But, I dont know much about Tacomas, so could anybody who knows what to look for and avoid, or where to find a resource that could tell me these things?

edit:I have checked edmunds.com
    Last edited by f6fhellcat13; 06-20-2010 at 03:13 PM.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Toyota didn't make Tacos in 1988. I can't remember when they stopped making the "Toyota Truck" and started the Taco. It might have been '93 or '94. I would suggest finding a Taco forum for the details. Overall I think those were still good trucks. If you look at the Toyota Trucks they were great but remember they are very old now. As reliable as they might have been in the day odds are good you will run into some failure due to age or deferred maintenance. Also, I would suggest looking at some other brand trucks as alternatives. A while back I was looking at old Ford, Nissan and Toyota trucks. The premium for an older Toyota far exceeded the gains in reliability and the like. The Rangers I tested drove just as badly as the Toyotas but typically had about half the mileage and maybe 2/3rds the age for the same money.

Thanks culver, me screwing up the years shows just how little I know about these.

Didn't those have issues with frame rust?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

It can also be hard to find a stock one, if that's what you're looking for. A lot of guys modified the 4x4s, and even the 2 wheel drive versions, for offroad use so you really have to know what they did and what the reliability of the parts was for those aftermarket manufacurers. Also be on the look out for guys who stripped the aftermarket parts off and are selling it as a stock vehicle since they may have done a bad job there as well.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Didn't those have issues with frame rust?
    That's true for a lot of Toyotas. And old Japanese cars. And Italian cars. The list goes on.

My friend is only looking locally so he's looking in one of the more rust-free places in the country. But, we'll be sure to look underneath the trucks for any frame rust.

wwkgd: I've read that the drivetrain is mostly bulletproof, with maintenance they will not die supposedly, so it's mostly the suspension that we should be checking?

I've seen a lot of them with cracked springs, rusted mounts and shackles. Also the tops of the fuel tanks rust and eventually disintegrate along with the brake lines. Also, body and frame rust are their main enemies. The engines and trannys are pretty good. I've seen a few head gaskets go on them, but shit happens.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

What he said.

But be aware the bullet proof mostly applies to the stockish vehicles. By the time you start doubling the tire size, etc it puts a lot more stress on parts not designed for it and then they're they're not so bullet proof. Tacomas have always been pretty popular for offroaders, so be aware of mods made.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Thread Information