Thread: 107 % rule reinstated next year

107 % rule reinstated next year

Apparently the FIA wants to reinstate the 107% rule for qualifying in F1. (Every car that is slower than 7% of the fastest time during the first qualifying session, will be excluded).
    Perhaps in combination with waivers for additional testing for those teams this might be useful, otherwise it is an effective way to block new entrants.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

In Canada (I think it was) it'd only have meant that Chandok was excluded. Still, not a bad idea. Apparently there's something about being exempted if you were fast enough in practice.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

I think that was the case too in the old days when 107% was in effect....

While I can see your point Henk, there needs to be some rule that governs the minimum performance level of these cars. We already know that the new entrant selection process is not exactly bullet-proof, so its easily possible that someone can be in way over their head. You want to prevent someone who got the entry just built a POS car and be allowed to run in the races....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Well if the 3 new teams that debuted this year had been prepared for all of pre-season testing, i dont think they'd be in half the trouble they appear to be in. That being said Lotus are already looking pretty respectable and Virgin look like they'll get there eventually as well. HRT will be all over the place again next year though as by severing ties with Dallara, they basically have to start all over again next year. Whoever the 13th team ends up being will perhaps find it even tougher than Virgin, Lotus and HRT did as there wont be any comparison point.
    I am the Stig

Lotus basically is proving the point that if you can throw a lot of money at it, it'll come to you. They have a good amount of backing.....much more substantial than either Virgin or HRT....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Lotus basically is proving the point that if you can throw a lot of money at it, it'll come to you. They have a good amount of backing.....much more substantial than either Virgin or HRT....
    Toyota didn't get proportioned results. Surely Lotus appears to be in a good position for next year, but I'm wondering if carrying over this big name also means that if results won't come, eventually they could switch off the toy.
    Sort of what BMW, Toyota and Honda did. Surely the global situation didn't help, but possibly it just make it happen sooner.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Well no, but the last 1% is the diminishing return bit, all the regular teams are operating in that bracket and some real talent and direction is required to get that out. But the new teams have much more room to maneuver up that more $$$ can get you much closer.

And Lotus now has nothing to do with the actual Lotus. The name doesn't come with money(even if it is the real Lotus). The money is Malaysian oil money....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Well no, but the last 1% is the diminishing return bit, all the regular teams are operating in that bracket and some real talent and direction is required to get that out. But the new teams have much more room to maneuver up that more $$$ can get you much closer.

And Lotus now has nothing to do with the actual Lotus. The name doesn't come with money(even if it is the real Lotus). The money is Malaysian oil money....
    Yeah I know they aren't the same Lotus which builds the Elise & Co, yet Lotus gave them clearance to use that name.

i thought some of the guys at least , in the team this year, came from Lotus ?

Virgin & HRT were abysmal in Turkey & not much better in canada

Everyone was under the 107% limit this time, so the rule will likely affect only the new team (depending on who they are) or HRT because of the clear sheet new car, but I doubt on both, unless they reanimate USF1.

Quote Originally Posted by Badsight View Post
    i thought some of the guys at least , in the team this year, came from Lotus ?

Virgin & HRT were abysmal in Turkey & not much better in canada
    Lotus have picked up alot of staff and resources from Toyota, you werent thinking of that?
    I am the Stig

IMO it should have been implimented this season after the budget caps have been introduced.
    Specifically to avoid such incidents as those involving webber & Kovalinen, and the blocking in qualifing.
    F1 should not have cars that are 4-5 seconds off the pace.

Quote Originally Posted by torque55 View Post
    IMO it should have been implimented this season after the budget caps have been introduced.
    Specifically to avoid such incidents as those involving webber & Kovalinen, and the blocking in qualifing.
    F1 should not have cars that are 4-5 seconds off the pace.
    And yet you managed to say that more kindly and politely than Montezemolo.
    Ferrari needs a new press department soon, they sounds like old maids, at best.

Thread Information