Thread: Question

Question

About the Autocar uk site.

Several of there tests have links to 'Hi Res' photos, but if you save them down they are only 612x456. Not Hi Res at all.

Any ideas? Or are there claims of Hi Res BS?

Just checked out the site. The best I could do was a low-res slideshow of pics. No option for higher-res as far as I can tell. Maybe if you're a paying member? I don't know..
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

The hest I could do/find is 1000x662 pictures, but they have an horrible quality and definitely not worth it, especially when many other websites and blogs offers often the same images in much better quality.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

I visit the Autocar website a lot. They claim those pictures are high res but I guess they are not. They are higher than they were before.

The Autocar website could be a lot better overall. Rightly so, the best journalism and completeness is in the magazine. The website articles tend to be full of spelling mistakes and get a lot of criticism. The reason I visit the site is for the discussion and debates in the blog/report comment sections. Most of which is blatantly slagging the journalism. Some fun regulars contributors in there.
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    I visit the Autocar website a lot. They claim those pictures are high res but I guess they are not. They are higher than they were before.

The Autocar website could be a lot better overall. Rightly so, the best journalism and completeness is in the magazine. The website articles tend to be full of spelling mistakes and get a lot of criticism. The reason I visit the site is for the discussion and debates in the blog/report comment sections. Most of which is blatantly slagging the journalism. Some fun regulars contributors in there.
    Interesting, I found the same phenomenon with the Dutch Autoweek site. Websites articles are very poor with lots of spelling mistakes and poor command of the Dutch language. For some time I contributed to their forums, but I got banned because I was too critical regarding the quality of their work....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I guess that applies to most websites, automotive related or not.
    Everynow and then I don't know why I post something on other websites/blogs, mainly because of considerable mistakes in the articles or in one of the comments.
    Then I realize I'm wasting my time and only getting nervous about the ignorance going on there.

It's sort of related to what we were saying the Rocke's thread about the little activity going on here, at least compared to the past.

Such kind of websites, were everything is poorly written and presented, quite less efforts are requested, and also, with the possibility of replying with the first BS coming trough your head, every douche out there will just feel at home there.
    No one ever bothers to read other people's comments, or to reply each others, they don't even check the articles' sources or seriously try to find other info on that subject, so it's quite simpler and less consuming to visit those sites as opposed to other communities, like this.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

I cracked this case!

Righto...say for this article you want the Hi Res pics of the Ferrari 458
    http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-reviews...aspx?im=379568

First, select the 'Get Links'. Now copy and paste the image link into a new browser window

http://cdn.images.autocar.co.uk/612x...91600x1060.jpg

That'll open up the image in low res (621x408). Now from that address, take out the '/612x408FFFFFFF' bit.

And hey presto, one Hi Res image (1600x1060)
    http://cdn.images.autocar.co.uk/Car/...91600x1060.jpg

Save.

Enjoy.

Yeah often you have to think a little harder on how the folder structure might be to get the origianl res images from a site when you've an address for a lower res.
    Good find
    A more general trick is to right click on the image, then properties and copy the url for the image from the pop-up. They wont all have "get links" to make it easier.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information