Thread: Bringing back the Renault Alpine.........

Bringing back the Renault Alpine.........

We plan to bring the Renault Alpine back to life here in South Africa. There was only a handfull here and they were mostly exported again. I know of only one left in the country.

We want to build replicas, and thats where i need this forums help. I know Matra et Alpine have a vast knowledge of the car..

Do we need to build this car to modern specs and use new generation engines, gearboxes and braking systems..or should we stick to the oldschool techno and keep the R8/10 configuration.

We already imported the body moulds and will start the prototype shortly....but again ?? Who will buy the car....modern or oldschool??
    HELP!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm just an oldhustler trapped in a hotrodders world
    I have been doing so much with so little for so long I can do anything with nothing.
    Fiberglass is traditional.From Malmesbury,South Africa

modern brakes and a "clean" engine might be advisable. I suppose the new car does not need to pass any crashtest or other safety test regarding impact protection, but an optional rollbar might be useful.

Good plan b.t.w.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Here in RSA it will be classified as a kitcar, so we will avoid most of the governmental tech stuff. A rollbar will be there...i do not trust the fibre glass that much, maybe stronger than sheetmetal. The original car was F/glass
    I have been doing so much with so little for so long I can do anything with nothing.

Since you have molds, why not take a page from the best Porsche 356 replica builders, and simply clothe a modern chassis and engine with the A110 body? A proper tube frame or more contemporary folded alloy structure with available suspension components, with customer choice regarding power would be practical. Have you determined a price-point?

Also, since you're in SA visit with Superformance... could be a useful field trip.
    Pretty cool you've chosen the Alpine, that's gotta have a ready market.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Perhaps you can offer it in different configurations? For the discerning enthusiast, a proper replica may be in line, while those who aren't so attached to tradition can buy a rolling shell. Maybe you can even get it into the United States.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

The Hawk HF series is another similar idea that might be worth a look.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

We will do a proper replica first...and then maybe a modern version with say a 2.0T Renault Clio eng and drivetrain,brakes and suspension

Sourcing a 1600 or 1800 original engine will cost more than ALL the rest of TWO CARS put together
    So almost forget the idea of trying to "recreate".
    Try for the spirit. Clio engines are available in 1400 1600 and 2000 so maybe you can appeal to all "enthusiasts".

"proper replica" ? What with no room for anyone over 5'6" requiring long arms and short legs with size 5 shoes ? Difficult to repair bonded in chassis parts with poor brakes, twitchy unstable handling and overheating ? Heaven forbid !!

Have you compared plans with dtm powers products ? Or is it their moulds you're acquiring ??

LOOKING like a Gp4 A110 will be largest appeal, but cost will limit and has done for those who've tried.

You really need to do serious market surveys and attempt to get deposits on builds.
    I've seen too many enthusiasts buy up kit plans/moulds in the belief if they build it people will buy. THe UK is littered with thousands of peopel who've tried with plannning.
    Hope you have a good business and delivery plan ... or very deep pockets

Friend is building a replica 906 and has lots of people wanting and he'd chosen to use reliable Boxter parts. BUT he is only building two as he can't see enough people to fund a sensible business. One is for himself, the second he has already sold at profit to cover both cars !

This is a useful place to start, but forums are fickle. Get to car shows and discuss with delivery channels before committing too much of your own money
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Hi

Hi..

In my opinion you should implement latest engines, braking systems and transmission. You can also make this car a convertible car with 2, 3, and 4 doors. It will give a fantastic look and great design to this car. Even if you can give it a look like Porsche cars which are famous for their looks. New engines gives it more power and braking system gives it safety. This car will be purchase by modern people and will become popular. I appreciate you for your effort and if you need any help, you can ask me anytime.

Thanks..

James PLEASE .. an A110 4 door ? NO.

JUST NO

The Berlinette lines work in their scale.
    Doing bigger just turns it into Cayenne and Panamera UGLINESS.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information