Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 26 of 26

Thread: Bentley Continental SuperSports - ludicrously overweight?

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    2,567
    Quote Originally Posted by LHamilton_w View Post
    It still managed to tie the lightweight Boxster Spyder on the TG track...

    The car is kinda pointless to be quite frank, but I'd take it over the standard Conti any day
    Well the engine is ginormous!
    I don't think I could live with the carbon fibre dash, if it's as heavy as it is. If it was a tonne less, the carbon fibre would be a reminder of the true nature of the car...but for a car so heavy, I want leather, wood, aluminium, whatever.
    Plus, I'd have people like me coming up to me and pointing out how stupidly heavy it is.
    I suppose it is was it's supposed to be, but that doesn't mean it's not silly.
    All about the t-tops

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    460
    I saw 2 SuperSports' in person last Sunday and I have to say, it's way better than the standard Conti GT. The black rims and other changes really give it a sporty look, and the engine is big enough to pull the car with all its heft to over 204 mph, so it makes up for being heavier than other sports cars.

    I miss the Continental T though. Way more classy and British than the newer Bentley's.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    2,567
    The engine is only marginally better than the one found in all Continentals. So you're saying it's better based on black rims? It's so, so, so much heavier than other sports cars, the engine only makes up on the straights. We're talking about a car that's 300kg more than the Veyron, a car that's commonly considered to be far too heavy.
    All about the t-tops

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    6,536
    Quote Originally Posted by TVR IS KING View Post
    Well the engine is ginormous!
    I don't think I could live with the carbon fibre dash, if it's as heavy as it is. If it was a tonne less, the carbon fibre would be a reminder of the true nature of the car...but for a car so heavy, I want leather, wood, aluminium, whatever.
    Plus, I'd have people like me coming up to me and pointing out how stupidly heavy it is.
    I suppose it is was it's supposed to be, but that doesn't mean it's not silly.
    Well, that's ok.. you can buy the standard Conti them.

    I'm not sure the Veryon is commonly considered too heavy.. for what it is, I think its weight is fine. It's only too heavy if you think they should have done a stripped out, light as possible flea car. Which is not what it is.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    91
    I've driven the standard GT and let me tell you, every ounce of the car goes into quality materials. The carpeting, headlining, trim, switchgear, double glazed glass, everything.

    You really have to drive the car and appreciate it's size and sheer luxuriousness to appreciate it's 2350kg kerb weight.

    Compare it to say an SL55AMG and the differences in build quality are plainly evident. And the Continental is only 300-400 kilos heavier than a "Sport Leicht" Mercedes...

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    33,448
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Definitely not easier, and not necessarily lighter as well.
    It's a Bentley right, who ever cared about weight?
    It's the only thing it has about Bentley's tradition .
    Indeed.

    What it actually needs is moar heavier...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    brisbane - sub-tropical land of mangoes
    Posts
    16,252
    Quote Originally Posted by AERO_HDT View Post
    I've driven the standard GT and let me tell you, every ounce of the car goes into quality materials. The carpeting, headlining, trim, switchgear, double glazed glass, everything.

    You really have to drive the car and appreciate it's size and sheer luxuriousness to appreciate it's 2350kg kerb weight.
    all good reasons for buying a bentley or a GT. but not this one.. which seems to be missing the point of it all.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    6,536
    It's not a car for rational people, it's for footballers and whatnot who want a Conti, but want to seem hard core. If you stop to think about it, you're not the target market for this car.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    33,448
    I think that we are the target for only the Jaguar XKR, with the optional Sports Pack and the de-restricted limiter, but without the bodykit and graphics and in a slightly dark shade of grey, combined with the factory ordered racing seats.

    Which, if you think about it, actually limits us quite a lot.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    brisbane - sub-tropical land of mangoes
    Posts
    16,252
    Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    It's not a car for rational people, it's for footballers and whatnot who want a Conti, but want to seem hard core. If you stop to think about it, you're not the target market for this car.
    yep:
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    i suppose it might appeal to the kind of people who buy continental GT's.. trying to one up their fellow bentley owners..

    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I think that we are the target for only the Jaguar XKR, with the optional Sports Pack and the de-restricted limiter, but without the bodykit and graphics and in a slightly dark shade of grey, combined with the factory ordered racing seats.

    Which, if you think about it, actually limits us quite a lot.
    that would be my ideal of luxury..
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    6,536
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    that would be my ideal of luxury..
    Hoh yes.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-24-2009, 03:38 AM
  2. Bentley Continental GTC 2006-
    By McLareN in forum Matt's Hi-Res Hide-Out
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 05-29-2007, 11:12 AM
  3. Bentley Continental GT (1st gen) 2003-2011
    By nopassn in forum Matt's Hi-Res Hide-Out
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 04-29-2007, 06:18 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •