Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Most Depressing Automotive Conversation Ever

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    All in all, I think loving your Prius over your SLS is like loving your fridge over your mistress.
    So.. Homer Simpson?
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post

All in all, I think loving your Prius over your SLS is like loving your fridge over your mistress.
    but if your fridge supplies you with cool beer and your mistress with hot air, what then?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    The Prius isn't a bad applicance. It's just the attitudes of some of the owners that draws-in the hate.
    For what it is, it is far too expensive.

You could do so much better for less. Of course then you won't have cool status amongst the ecomentalists but who cares about that...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Just a thought, if he likes driving his Prius better, then shouldn't that be at the car wash instead of the SLS b/c the Prius would get the bulk of the driving while the SLS would go for Sunday cruises and be wiped down afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    but if your fridge supplies you with cool beer and your mistress with hot air, what then?
    It's time to get a new mistress who will get you cold beer from the fridge.

My problem with this whole thing isn't that he likes driving the prius more (to each their own), but that he bought a car that expensive when he doesn't like driving it.

All right, maybe it bugs me a bit that he likes the prius more.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post

You could do so much better for less.
    You're talking about the SLS, aren't you?

Of course then you won't have cool status amongst the ecomentalists but who cares about that...
    ...oh, wait.

But seriously, if it hadn't been a Prius and was just some other car that was cheap relative to the Merc we would just all think he's strange and move on. The fact that it's a Prius is what's getting up our noses about it.
    Like Leon pointed out a "lesser" car than the Mercedes has many advantages over it and while the Prius is flawed in many ways, it really isn't hard to think of the advantages.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post

...oh, wait.

But seriously, if it hadn't been a Prius and was just some other car that was cheap relative to the Merc we would just all think he's strange and move on. The fact that it's a Prius is what's getting up our noses about it.
    Like Leon pointed out a "lesser" car than the Mercedes has many advantages over it and while the Prius is flawed in many ways, it really isn't hard to think of the advantages.
    No, I would probably have the same reaction if it were a Kia Spectra or Chevy Aveo, etc.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

That is depressing, it makes no sence, i can only think of the man as a poser, in the true sence of the word.

They sell cars to anyone these days.

It's just someone that wanted a car, he took a pick at a 'bunch' of them and bought that one, he probably knows nothing about it, he just knows it's a pretty Mercedes.

Sad, sad world.

And "i like driving my Prius better" ? how can driving a Prius be better than driving an SLS, even in traffic? Doesn't the SLS also have an Auto option? So what could possibly be better in a prius? MPG? you have an SLS... are you worried about MPG?

I just don't get it.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

there are advantages to driving a prius vs an SLS.

wouldn't have to give a shit about parking it somewhere, leaving it, someone scratching it etc etc.

i still don't think i could bring myself to say i'd like driving one better though.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I could in no way shape or form say that I enjoy driving a Prius more than an SLS.

I could enjoy factors of owning a Prius more, but not the physical act of driving.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post

You could do so much better for less. Of course then you won't have cool status amongst the ecomentalists but who cares about that...
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNgMG5qwors&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNgMG5qwors&feature=related[/ame]

The in-game radio advert is funnier though:

"Save the planet for only $Thirty nine, nine, ninety nine: She'll swoon at your low exhaust emissions...and maybe let you do some exploring of her exhaust too."

- Of course! That's why they sell!!!
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

And what if he was just a troll?!

I agree with Clutch, I'd have probably answered the SLS is cool and all, but a (wait for it) Zonda would have been way better. I'd kept to myself that I own a Prius too.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post

...oh, wait.

For me the big Merc it's all about the engine. Forget about the stupid retroness, or the fact that it looks like bloated Gullwing, or that it has an automatic gearbox or that it costs a fortune.

Because it has that 6.2 litre V8. As in most AMG Mercs the engine dominates everything. In fact AMG Mercs are one of only four type of cars were I would probably put up with the auto 'box to drive them.

Probably you could objectively do better for less with other cars, but with cars like these it's all about the emotions. And the big V8 in front of you does quite a lot in that aspect.

However, the Prius isn't about emotions at all. Forget about the green credentials, in the real world that just a lot of useless chatter. I've driven a third generation Prius and I decided to approach it for what it was, a practical family hatchback.

And if you do that it's not bad at all. It's roomy inside and has a big boot, it's comfortable and smooth and the silence is nice. Mind you, it has no speed or handling and in European conditions fuel consumtion will probably abysmal.

And then you factor in the price. Which starts at 24 grand. And here is where it stops making sense at all. It's just too expensive for what it is. It doesn't stir your emotions, because it's not supposed to and objectively you could do at least just as well for 10 gran less. Which in this segment is rather a lot.

Now if he had said I love my Ssangyong more than I do the Merc with the big heart, the opinion would've been the same, except for the stupid mentality behind buying the hybrid Toyotas. If he had said I love driving my Golf GTI more than the SLS, then we could have argued.

PD. I've just realised that the SLS is the same SLR. Only it costs significantly less money. So on that basis it's the bargain of the century.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    That's so bad it's good. XD
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cargirl1990 View Post
    That's so bad it's good. XD
    Read that twice...still don't get it. Do explain.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Thread Information