As the title says really: Where have all the decent rally simulations gone? I used to enjoy the Colin McRae and Richard Burns Rally games on the previous-generation consoles, but sadly it seems that these games have died along with the talented drivers they took their names from. Personally, I don't find the arcade-style rally games (eg. Sega Rally) satisfying to play (Burnout is a more fun arcade racer), and the 'Dirt' series has also gone this way (plus I'd like something that concentrates on WRC-style rallying / Dakar-style, rather than dirt buggies etc.).

What I'd really like to see is a proper "hardcore" rally sim with realistic physics and ruthless damage modelling (including things like punctures and reliability issues to battle through), in which you work your way up from club & junior events driving old favourites (205GTis, old Imprezas etc.) to fully-fledged latest-generation WRC rocketships. I want to feel the consequences of pushing the car too hard, I want realistic time/resource-limited repairs in service areas and I want the challenge of overcoming demanding and punishing stages.

With current consoles, all this and more is possible...so what's happened to this genre?