Thread: Crash at California 200 Off-Road Race

Crash at California 200 Off-Road Race

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-10978569

"At least eight people have been killed and 12 injured at an off-road motor race in California. A vehicle crashed into a crowd of spectators at the California 200 desert night race near Lucerne Valley, 100 miles (160km) from Los Angeles.

The California 200 is a race for powerful, all-terrain vehicles over a 50 mile (80km) off-road track. Pictures of previous races show spectators standing close to the path of the vehicles. The annual race goes through a dry river bed in the southern California desert at night, illuminated only by roof-mounted spotlights.

The driver was not injured in the crash and fled the scene to avoid an angry crowd who began throwing rocks at him, reports said."

off road races take waaay to little safety precautions, from a spectatorial perspective.

I heard about this, that's pretty sad.

My condolences.

Not to sound rude but watching a video of the scene made me think Group B races and crashes never happened. People were insanely close to the track/cars.

Condolences to the families.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Not to sound rude but watching a video of the scene made me think Group B races and crashes never happened. People were insanely close to the track/cars.

Condolences to the families.
    Group B also had the best drivers in the world, this wasn't WRC or anything like that. The spectators should've been a little more careful b/c it's at night and it's thru the desert w/ rocks and shit like that to avoid

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrafan427 View Post
    Group B also had the best drivers in the world, this wasn't WRC or anything like that. The spectators should've been a little more careful b/c it's at night and it's thru the desert w/ rocks and shit like that to avoid
    Yeah, that too.
    As far as I understood, the accident happened before of the actual start, which isn't more sad.
    Reports of the driver been attacked by other spectators aren't confirmed at the moment, fortunately.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

It is sad, and my condolences to the families. But you can't really blame race officials for this. Every year they post more and more warnings to people to stay back from the track (for incredibly obvious reasons) and every year there are more and more people crowding it. When officials go by asking them to step back, as soon as they're gone the crowd steps right up to it again.

The same thing is happening with the Baja races, except there you have locals going out to the course the night before to dig pits and jumps. Depending on your perspective they're either trying to get the drivers injured or just trying to make it more exciting as they watch the next day. I'm afraid that as these races start drawing bigger crowds they may go the way of the "real" rally races.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

I heard about that accident. It's extremely unfortunate.

Thread Information