Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Early details for new 911 (991)

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    might be sweeping the drive shaft more to the back....so the engine sits more between the rear wheel then behind them....
    They also might be working to push the centerline of the dif closer to the engine. Doing both may be the plan as well. Still I agree that we don't know if this is simply stretching the wheelbase or repackaging things to get the wheels farther back with respect to the motor.

I will be very disappointed if the new 911 looks like that dull rendering.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    looks like a photoshopped scirroco?
    More like a flattened Panamera.

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220 View Post
    ewwwwwwwww
    Shut up, you know you'll like it eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by culver View Post
    Do we know if the 7spd is really an H pattern? If it was derived from the PDK box why not a sequential shift?
    Just curious, how come sequential boxes aren't really in cars? The early BMW SMG gearbox wasn't a true one, I think.

Or are the double clutch boxes today- PDK, etc. already sequential boxes?

7 speeds sounds unwieldy, but hey, I'll comment again when it comes out. No rush.

I'm still waiting for the 928 replacement.

Maybe sequential gearboxes have short lifespans?

Surely designing the looks of a new 911 has to be one of the trickier jobs in the car design world! They haven't done too badly here by all accounts. Current gen is hard to beat though, looks fantastic. Doesn't beat the 993 though, best looking Porsche of the last 20/30 years.

I think the Porsche guys know what they are doing. I mean there's nobody else out there that has as much knowledge about RR layouts than them (which does in my book ensure that they won't mess with the handling).
    What i would like to know, however: some sources said that there would be changes in the 991 Targa Models' roof. Does this mean we will see a return of the traditional targa top after all?
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Just curious, how come sequential boxes aren't really in cars? The early BMW SMG gearbox wasn't a true one, I think.

Or are the double clutch boxes today- PDK, etc. already sequential boxes?

7 speeds sounds unwieldy, but hey, I'll comment again when it comes out. No rush.

I'm still waiting for the 928 replacement.
    I'm not sure so most of what I write will be speculation. My best guess is sequential are more complex than a traditional H-box. It may not be much more complex but more none the less. I can think of at least one practical reason, you can't skip shift. With a traditional H you can quickly move to any gear you want. If you think about how most people will use a manual it's not going to be for the fastest shift at all times. Instead they are more likely to want the ability to shift into any gear of their choosing without having to go though the gears in between. The advantage of the sequential is never missing a gate when shifting. It's of course also useful on a motorcycle where you are shifting with your feet and an H-pattern would be very impractical. Sequential can also work well in racing where you may have more than 6 speeds thus making an H harder to manage, you also are less likely to skip shift (though the need can occur) and of course fast shifting.

I don't think DSG's, at least the ones I've seen, are mechanically sequential. I suspect with the correct software instructions the box could shift between any two ratios you wished. However, when they preselect the next gear they are operating somewhat like a sequential. If you are in third you have the odd ratio clutch engaged. The computer can either preselect 2nd or 4nd in anticipation of an up or down shift. I see no reason why the system couldn't mechanically select 6th but I suspect the software would never do that. It wouldn't surprise me if the system can not mechanically preselect 1st or 5th when in 3rd because those ratios all use the same clutch and presumable would lock the gearbox if selected at the same time.

sounds promising, but only time will tell...
    Buy a car for you, not for other people

Looks Great, 7 speeds sounds amusing. Would love to give it a try.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post

It also looks like a squashed bug. Now, the you might the 911 is a squashed Bug of sorts, but it looks really short and tall to me, meaning they squashed horizontally not vertically.
    There, I fixed it. Porsche representatives, I will be expecting a large payout for my help.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Maybe sequential gearboxes have short lifespans?
    Classic case was the CLK-GTR, I believe it needed a transmission rebuild ever 5000 miles or so because of the sequential transmission.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sledgehammer; 08-16-2010 at 08:36 PM.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

I don't think thats necessarily true. Racing transmission /= sequential. CLK-GTR was never engineered to be a "road car". Nor were most homologation special. The gearbox in those cars are likely to be what you find in a race car anyway. They were not designed to be running day in and day out. For that application a 5000 miles rebuild might be acceptable. If it was a tranny designed to do road application it can probably still be sequential, but much different design consideration might be taken....

On a similar case, recently talking to some engineers at Pratt & Miller(who builds GM's racing cars like the C6.R), their own C6.RS super Corvette originally had Katech built 7 liter V8, the engine being derived from the same unit as the GT1 Corvette. But they were having so much seal and leak issue from that motor that now they are using engines as built by GM, along side the ZR-1 motor. Katech being a race engine shop, their experience in building a warrantied, "daily driven" engine is limited.....

A sequential is conceptually not that different in user input vs a traditional H-gate. You can wear a regular box out much like you can wear sequential out. The type of tranny is used in sportsbike almost universally, the car version is essentially bigger. To implement a SMG type system on a sequential is probably easier, but for OEMs, implementing electronics/electro-hydraulic on a new gearbox is a lot more costly than do it on an automated version of their regular gearbox, especially if they already have a manually shifted option.

Now with some car companies abandoning traditional manual altogether, that might change.....

PDK/DSG are shifted sequentially, so in that sense they are sequential, but I don't think they can actually be operated without a controller....the complexity on those things is on a different level...racing sequential boxes are quite simple to work on, if you have SMG hardware the actual actuators/sensor/controller/valve body...etc at the shifting mechanism is the complicated part, but the gearbox is qute simple...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Next gen GT3 to be PDK only?

A Porsche GT3 with an automanual transmission? There go those winds of change blowing again. A Rennlist member who's spoken with a Porsche higher-up says the next GT3 will get Porsche's dual-clutch PDK transmission. The consolation prize is 480 horsepower.

Rennlist member and GT3 owner rosenbergendo says he's got the inside track on the next Porsche 911 GT3, which we don't expect for a few years at the least. Still, exciting stuff coming, but only if you're okay with leaving some storied Porsche constructs in the past. Purists may need to recalibrate their Renn-o-sensors.

First, there's the little matter of a long-rumored GT3 RS limited edition. The Porsche source says that model, based on the current GT3 RS, indeed exists, and will homologate the company's 449-hp, 4.0-liter RSR motor, introduced in the company's GT racecar for the 2011 season. It'll be the last GT3 model to feature Porsche's venerable 964/GT1 engine block, which dates back to the days of air cooling.

The next GT3, according to the source, will get its own version of Porsche's new direct-injected flat-six, producing 480 horsepower, as the company consolidates its 911 line around the new 9A1 engine series. Unlike other Carrera models, the GT3 won't get any of the hybrid-tech gear like engine stop-start.

Most interestingly, the new GT3 is destined for a new, motorsport-tuned version of the company's Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe dubbed PDK-S, which has apparently undergone four years of testing with the new 9A1 engine.

What's more, wider use of composite materials means the new GT3 could be up to 200 lbs lighter than the current model. And speaking of mass, with the new 991 Carrera set to get a more forward-mounted engine, the GT3 will benefit, balance-wise, from the change in weight distribution.

Porsche has said we'll have to wait a while for the new 991 Carrera models to arrive, so don't expect the GT3 to show up before the blizzard of '13.
    [Source]

Hopefully it's just an option, it would be a damn shame to lose one of the last hold-outs of the H-pattern.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

I don't like how they did that bumper at all. The rest is good.

Quote Originally Posted by DesmoRob View Post
    I don't like how they did that bumper at all. The rest is good.
    That's the 997 mkI GT3, personally still my favorite version of the GT3 with no LEDs to mar the front.

I had hoped they might stick with a stick, but I guess not.

Why bother complaining anymore when I have no say over the issue?

200 lbs lighter than the current model.
    direct-injected flat-six, producing 480 horsepower
    success.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    That's the 997 mkI GT3, personally still my favorite version of the GT3 with no LEDs to mar the front.

I had hoped they might stick with a stick, but I guess not.

Why bother complaining anymore when I have no say over the issue?
    I just prefer the simplicity of the basic 997 Carrera's styling. Thats the one I'd want. I don't know why they insist on messing with something that works.

Thread Information