Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Report: VW wants to buy Alfa Romeo

Such a shame the story of the Phaeton a great car that doesn't have the recognition it deserves just for the badge.

The VR engines; one could argue that the only variant that ever made sense was the 6 cylinder version. And what a sound.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Such a shame the story of the Phaeton a great car that doesn't have the recognition it deserves just for the badge.

The VR engines; one could argue that the only variant that ever made sense was the 6 cylinder version. And what a sound.
    I think the Phaeton had some flaws that were overlooked because of the badge. For instance it weighs 5,400lb. That's 1,300lb more than its BMW competition.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

TBH, the interior quality of the RR Phantom wasn't as good as Rapide's, or I'd dare to say even Quattroporte's.
    While I couldn't find any issue with the AM if not the driving position or overall cockpit design (which were perfectly fine for me btw), the QP has probably a cheaper leather, or wood, but there is still a lot of plastic in the RR and it looked and felt like ti was a from BMW of the nineties. Everything may look OK at a first glance (actually, no), but then you start playing with a few switches, panels, compartments and you start wonder reconsidering why it costs so much.

The Bentley Mulsanne (which on the other hand is brand new and not 7 years old) felt much much better, albeit I could spend as much time in it as in the Phantom.

Didn't check the Ghost.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

It doesn't matter if the Mulsanne falls apart or is entirely made out of cardboard.

Because it has the charisma.
    Visca Catalunya!

At that price, cardboard tends to piss me off.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    I think the Phaeton had some flaws that were overlooked because of the badge. For instance it weighs 5,400lb. That's 1,300lb more than its BMW competition.
    We have one at home. And I can say that it's a damn fine car. Much better then all the 7-series and S-classes that came before it. Weight is not really relevant for a car like that. You don't go racing with it. That's why I always laugh when I see an S8 or AMG S-class. They are utterly pointless and wastefull.

AMG S-Classes are very useful. It acts as a beacon to surrounding motorists that the owner of said vehicle is a fool and should be parted from his money without too much hassle.

Having experienced a Phantom interior I can tell you that while all the aspects of a traditional car interior are there, you pay for the more expensive materials and design with good reason. The comparison to 90's BMW plastics is unfair (my mothers E36 328i as comparison), and the Aston's interior (V8 Vantage, not Rapide, granted) had moments of greatness but things like the air vents screamed cost cutting to me, IDK.

Never sat in an QP but I will say I think the Centre stack looks like shiny garbage.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Double post demon strikes again!

I wouldn't call the Phaethon particulary bad, but it wasn't overwhelmingly good, either. Next to the badge, that's it's biggest problem: the Phaethon just isn't anything special. In this point, it resembles the new Latitude (which, as i think, won't sell good, either).

On top pf that, i don't understand why VW is offering a luxury car at all. I mean apart from a small boost for the evil doctor's huge ego, what sense does it make? First of all, a luxury vehicle by VW is kinda ironic stuff, but besides, the company already has the A8 and the Mulsanne (you could also count in the new Superb which is REALLY good in every possible way). Sounds like self-cannibalism to me.
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

The Phaeton is brilliant engineering exercise and a much underrated car.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    We have one at home. And I can say that it's a damn fine car. Much better then all the 7-series and S-classes that came before it. Weight is not really relevant for a car like that. You don't go racing with it. That's why I always laugh when I see an S8 or AMG S-class. They are utterly pointless and wastefull.
    Weight does matter in more than just racing cars. Here we're all going on and on about saving fuel, then say taking over half a ton off your car is useless? It effects a lot of details, and perfection is in the details. Race it or not weight slows the car down, requires a bigger motor, bigger brakes, heavier duty suspension, results in worse mileage, more tire wear and more expensive parts/repairs.

I have no experience with the car so I can't say whether or not it was better than a 7 series or S class, but it could easily have been a better car than it was.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

The Phaeton is a great car by all accounts, it's just an anomaly unto itself.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    Weight does matter in more than just racing cars. Here we're all going on and on about saving fuel, then say taking over half a ton off your car is useless? It effects a lot of details, and perfection is in the details. Race it or not weight slows the car down, requires a bigger motor, bigger brakes, heavier duty suspension, results in worse mileage, more tire wear and more expensive parts/repairs.

I have no experience with the car so I can't say whether or not it was better than a 7 series or S class, but it could easily have been a better car than it was.
    Oh I agree with what you're saying in principle. Lighter is better.
    But when it comes down to day to day usage the dynamics of a Phaeton are just as crappy as a "light weight" A8 or XJ.
    They are all comfortable and great to be driven in but none of them are actually fun to drive.

Not sure if I'm making any sense

I'm sure that the Jag is at least marginally better than the others.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    The Phaeton is a great car by all accounts, it's just an anomaly unto itself.
    From the same anomaly fairy as the GTR.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    Oh I agree with what you're saying in principle. Lighter is better.
    But when it comes down to day to day usage the dynamics of a Phaeton are just as crappy as a "light weight" A8 or XJ.
    They are all comfortable and great to be driven in but none of them are actually fun to drive.

Not sure if I'm making any sense
    Absolutely making sense. If I were in the market for a car like that I wouldn't want to go by track times or any such related nonsense. Still, even though I'm overweight doesn't mean my cars have to be.
    Big cities suck

I think that if VW takes over Alfa, that would be great. If they did, they should make a 159 GTA with 400 bhp and 4wd, like Alfa Romeo promised, but hasn't quite got around to yet. And they might even make a nice proper Alfa Romeo supercar, like maybe a ''12C Competizione'' or something... Volkswagen already owns Audi, Porsche, Lamborghini, Seat, Bentley, Bugatti, and Skoda anyway, so another company wouldn't hurt.
    I am the most humble person in the world and no one is going to tell me otherwise.

Thread Information