Thread: F1 United States

F1 United States

The US F1 site is up with media files of the track. Fair amount of elevation change and 30-50' wide... in 2D it's interesting enough,
    the 3D layout illustrates a typical Tilke design. Anyone want to speculate possible passing areas?

Formula 1 United States | Austin 2012
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

It's about as interesting as an oval with elevation change.

I don't see any passing/braking zone potential.

way too many greater than 90 degree corners. looks slow and fiddly. i am not particularly a fan.

it looks like the second corner is the only one that could be taken flat, or if not flat, just quick in general. the esses go on far too long, and that big corner complex just after the long back straight looks straight out of shanghai. it doesnt look like a drivers track at all.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

I think it's interesting, would have to see it all played out with race cars though. The esses following the hairpin at turn 1 up to turn 7 look like possible passing zones assuming the track is wide enough. The low-speed complex at turns 12 through 15 looks pretty neat as well, if ground is to be made up/lost I imagine it happening there. Sadly, I doubt any passing goes on in that section, but it's a great test of driver skill/engineering efficiency there. T20 is the last chance any one has a pass and will serve to be crucial in that heavy uphill slope to the T1 hairpin.

I think there will be a lot of accidents at turn 1 (first lap). Uphill ~150deg hairpin into downhill sweepers should make things testy.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Honestly I think this track is a pretty sweet design - Going to have to be brave under brakes to be competitive.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

What, no "Yumps!"?

It's about as interesting as an oval with elevation change.
    Its that bad, huh? Well, at least the US will finally have at least one F1-caliber track (e.g. tracks like Catalunya and the like just make the US road courses look so run-down IMO. Still great tracks though.)

As for me, I'll comment when I see the race. I just can't jump to conclusions based solely on the map itself.
    Buy a car for you, not for other people

Wanna ride the southern half of that track.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

It looks as though it'll suit MotoGP better than Formula1. As others have mentioned, it looks just a little too tight to allow for entertaining F1 races, I'd rather see more stretched, fast, sweeping turns; motorcycle fans, however, will love the elevation changes and tight cornering
    Reutlingen/ San Francisco

i think it would be fun for LeMons. lots of exploded brake rotors. and corners to exploit their dubious handling.

Why is F1 coming to Austin, Texass? There is no motorsports tradition there. Fl should come back to Watkins Glen or go to Road America, our answer to Spa. OK, I know, those tracks need some updating to conform to Fl standards, I guess. What a pity that the homogenized, sanitized world of Fl has reduced that once ballsy sport to something tame enough for an EU bureaucrat.

Quote Originally Posted by fairlyoldguy View Post
    Why is F1 coming to Austin, Texass? There is no motorsports tradition there. Fl should come back to Watkins Glen or go to Road America, our answer to Spa. OK, I know, those tracks need some updating to conform to Fl standards, I guess. What a pity that the homogenized, sanitized world of Fl has reduced that once ballsy sport to something tame enough for an EU bureaucrat.
    There's quite a bit of motorsports there, just not any F1ish stuff. The reason why they're going there is that they're following the money. No one else can put in a track with the kind of facilities that F1 demands (why we don't have F1 races at any of our other tracks.) And certainly not near any kind of population center.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

well, there is at least one. but bernie and tony don't get along very well.

Back on the schedule... initial drama over, money makes everything right:

The international Formula One racing calendar is set, and the inaugural United States Grand Prix is scheduled to be run in Austin on
    Nov. 18, 2012. In an email to the American-Statesman, F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone confirmed a deal had been reached with
    Circuit of the Americas investors.

“Yes there will be a race there,” he said. “We hope it will be for 10 years.”
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

I must say, it is nice to see the reversal of a trend for F1 to expand in to new exotic markets. America loves motorsport, and selling F1 there is probably a lot easier than those races in the Gulf, India, China, Korea, Singapore, or (formerly) Turkey. I think the sport needs to balance growth with classic markets; the fact that there is no race in France and that Spa has come under threat is very sad... And seeing the very deserted stands in some of these new markets is very depressing.

Thread Information