Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS

2011 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS

Because apparently we need another 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Autoblog
    If you're in the market for a new 911, but don't want the same Carrera S as your neighbor and the GT3 is just a wee bit too hardcore for your tastes, we don't understand you. Thankfully, Porsche does and the answer to your prayers is coming to Paris. Meet the 2011 Porsche Carrera 911 GTS, the new middle-child of the ass-engined family.

If the body work looks familiar, that's because it's cribbed from the all-wheel drive Carrera 4 – a trick Porsche has pulled off several times in the past. Nestled between that 44mm wider track is an upgraded 3.8-liter flat-six putting out 408 horsepower (23 more than the standard S, 27 less than the GT3) and 310 pound-feet of torque, now peaking at 4,200 rpm – 200 rpm earlier than in the S.

Power is sent exclusively to the rear wheels (and as it should be), with a manual six-speed transmission coming standard and a seven-speed PDK as an option. Select the Sport Chrono package along with the dual-clutch 'box, and Porsche claims you'll be cracking off four-second 0-60 runs all day long.

Aside from the widened haunches, the GTS is set apart by its 19-inch center-hub RS Spyder wheels, SportDesign front and rear fascias, black Alcantara trim and assorted body and interior bits.

After the GTS debuts in Paris, sales of both the coupe and cabriolet versions will begin early next year, with a starting price of $103,100 and $112,900, respectively.
    [Source]

Not sure how those prices match up.. halfway between an S and a GT3 like the rest of the car I guess.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

the Porsche parts bin has put together another "brand new" model....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmehh
    Reutlingen/ San Francisco

Getting close to Bugatti with the Veyron variations now...

At least the Veyrons actually look good...
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

I like it The more 911 variants Porsche builds, the more rises my chance to buy a used one one day
    And i still think it looks waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the Veyron (boathed, ugh).
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

Agreement on the "Veyron is awful" front.

There's virtually no place for this car though.

However, agreement as well on the "moar 911 is always betterer" front as well.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by TVRs4eva View Post
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmehh
    i feel the same way unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    the Porsche parts bin has put together another "brand new" model....
    Making the limited edition 911 SC as a mainstream model would have been more convincing. Then again, that WAS a limited edition made exclusively for Porsche enthusiasts.
    Buy a car for you, not for other people

This is basically a 911 SC without the ducktail and fuchs anyway.

So basically it takes the desirable aspects out of the SC, power aside, and that shiny extra power will probably be on an S soon.

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    So basically it takes the desirable aspects out of the SC, power aside, and that shiny extra power will probably be on an S soon.
    I think that this model will be priced significantly below the SC - the SC was not sold in the States, but was 169k Euros (I kinda wish I had a Euro button) which Car and Driver claimed was GT2 money.

As for this car, I guess choice is good? I dunno. I have no strong feelings for it either way - the painted "Carrera GTS" on the side is poor though.

I like the nice fat rears - but Porsche seems to always have nice fat rear tires.

The fat rears come from the fact that it's the C4 chassis, and yea.. this is significantly cheaper than the SC (price is in the article, dunno how that compares to Carrera S pricing). I'm sure the ducktail and fuchs can be added somehow and still be much cheaper than the SC was.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    The fat rears come from the fact that it's the C4 chassis, and yea.. this is significantly cheaper than the SC (price is in the article, dunno how that compares to Carrera S pricing). I'm sure the ducktail and fuchs can be added somehow and still be much cheaper than the SC was.
    Speaking of 911s, I'd probably like the basic 911, but I just recalled that the S has those nice quad exhausts - that'd be my choice.

If I wanted a track car, I probably wouldn't buy a GT3, and I wouldn't really want to drive that around the city.

I suppose it doesn't matter, as I highly doubt that I will make enough money to purchase one.

This car is apparently 7 grand more than the S.
    Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    This is basically a 911 SC without the ducktail and fuchs anyway.
    I believe the Fuchs are now available from Porsche's Tequipment programme.
    Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    There's a power upgrade for the S, that I think gives you those 408bhp. Maybe they'll take away that option now.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I believe the Fuchs are now available from Porsche's Tequipment programme.
    Best news I've heard today. Maybe they will bring the ducktail back as an extra, too.
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

Thread Information