Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW to deliver petrol engine to SAAB from 2012

BMW to deliver petrol engine to SAAB from 2012

Saab Automobile and BMW enter agreement for supply of gasoline engines
    Today, Saab Automobile and BMW announced an agreement for the supply of engines to be used in next-generation Saab vehicles. Under the purchase, supply and development agreement, BMW will supply Saab with 4-cylinder 1.6 liter turbocharged gasoline engines from 2012. The engines will be adapted to meet Saab’s specific requirements.
    The contract was signed on Wednesday in Trollhättan, Sweden. Participating in the signing were Saab Automobile CEO Jan Åke Jonsson, Saab Automobile Chairman Victor Muller and Ian Robertson, Member of the Board of Management of BMW AG, responsible for Sales and Marketing.

Announcing the deal, Saab Automobile CEO Jan Åke Jonsson said: “It gives me great pleasure to confirm this exciting new relationship. BMW’s engines and their fuel savings innovations are widely regarded as a benchmark in the premium segment. We look forward to integrating this technology into our next-generation vehicles in a true Saab way.”

Victor Muller, Chairman of Saab Automobile, said: “This is a major step for Saab on our road to becoming a profitable independent premium car maker. In line with our strategy, we will continue to capitalize on our own engineering expertise while also working with the very best partners. Both parties are open to explore further opportunities as part of this relationship in the future.”

Ian Robertson, Executive Sales and Marketing Director of BMW, added: “We are continuing to expand our powertrain system sales business worldwide as planned as part of our Strategy Number ONE. Today’s agreement marks another important milestone along this route. We are delighted to support Saab with our engine expertise. Our engines have a clear lead over the competition when it comes to fuel consumption, emissions and performance.”
    Link to article at SAAB.com

Very interesting deal. Of course if it can bring more engines than one. The "new" 2.0 Diesel with twin turbos should also be put in the line right away! I find the new 9-5 very appealing, but the engine lineup is still very "GM-smelling" and uninteresting. I think this can make me buy the 9-5 estate, when it arrives...

Great deal in my opinion too.

Side effect, having a great engine without feeling like a douchebag everytime you enter your car.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Great deal in my opinion too.

Side effect, having a great engine without feeling like a douchebag everytime you enter your car.
    I dont know if its too late to call the 2010 UCP awards, but im pretty sure this won for quote of the year.

I think this is a great deal for Saab too. However i wonder what they will do for motors in their cars for the US market. I think most american buyers will want a more powerful engine if they are buying a car that costs as much as most saabs do.

I think the BMW's 3.5 turbo engine would be a great choice for the American market.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Does this mean that the new 9-2 (or whatever it's going to be called) is going to be based on the Mini as the rumourmill has speculated?

Methinks maybe yes.

a 9-2 based on a Mini? Something I'd actually buy.

Fingers crossed Saab can regain some quirky mojo. Bob Lutz was a clown when he said "We Can't keep selling to Eggheads."
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    Bob Lutz was a clown ....
    Wait...Stop there.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    Wait...Stop there.
    you'll be surprised to hear that Mr. Lutz has been appointed in supervisory board of Lotus to oversee their ambitious (minor understatement) development plans for the next four years.

Anyway, this deal gives BMW access to proper FWD systems, so they finally replace their antiquated RWD designs...(ducks for cover/ferrer)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

They're already FWD'ing with the Mini, just in a covert manner.

It's likely they'll only ever go to 4WD I'd suggest, or at least never mention the driven wheels, ever.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    Stop...
    even better lol.
    IT'S OFFICIAL. I'M A SUZUKI KIZASHI SPORT FAN-BOY.

what stops me from buying this over a XR6 SV6 ?. drive-train. place a little wrx evo magic under the bonnet and i'm sold!.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Anyway, this deal gives BMW access to proper FWD systems, so they finally replace their antiquated RWD designs...(ducks for cover/ferrer)
    Blasphemer! You can duck for cover from me too!

BMW = I6, RWD, sport-luxury. What they may do may not be perfect (or may be), but it is what defines them and gives them differentiation from other brands in this overly homogenized world. Why would you want more uniformity?

... And yes, I realize you are joking... At least, I certainly hope you are.

No, all cars should be front wheel drive and diesel. Or better, diesel-electric.

Sex should be banned as well, since it'll just become too exiting and dangerous for people to handle.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    No, all cars should be front wheel drive and diesel. Or better, diesel-electric.

Sex should be banned as well, since it'll just become too exiting and dangerous for people to handle.
    have you ever tried FWD sex? And with diesel it lasts much longer.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    have you ever tried FWD sex? And with diesel it lasts much longer.
    The best cars for sex are undoubtedly RWD - 70s Cadillac Fleetwoods being the creme de la creme.

Your double entendres sicken me, Canadian swine.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Thread Information