Thread: Unknown: Said to be Allard special

Unknown: Said to be Allard special

The current owner of this classic wants to restore it, it is said that it is an Allard, though that is not sure. He asked the former owner who wrote an article about the car, in which he states that it is an Allard, but he does not have any proof, e.g. old photographs or so.

Who has any info on this car??
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have never seen this car, but what may conceptually look like an Allard, including the L-Head Ford, does not automatically need to be one.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I have no idea what it is but initial reaction tells me it looks like a Jaguar XK, just a guess tho

probably good if seeking any additional provenenance to post on some other sites too (TNF) but for now - absent any prior contradiction from within the Victorian, Tasmanian or Australian community; (as well informed as anyone and all notoriously opinionated, and given that magazine's circulation was quite wide here even 10 years ago) why not accept its reputed identity?
    steven
    Last edited by fnqvmuch; 10-19-2010 at 02:32 PM.

Christ, it looks almost exactly like a Jag XJ120. But with a Ford flathead? Very interesting indeed..... That thing must be FAST
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by fnqvmuch View Post
    probably good if seeking any additional provenenance to post on some other sites too (TNF) but for now - absent any prior contradiction from within the Victorian, Tasmanian or Australian community; (as well informed as anyone and all notoriously opinionated, and given that magazine's circulation was quite wide here even 10 years ago) why not accept its reputed identity?
    steven
    Well, it is a former owner who wrote the article. When asked, he can not give any proof that it is in fact an Allard, he always assumed that it was.

However, it very well can turn out to be an Allard. The now owner wants to be more certain, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by J.J.Horst View Post
    Well, it is a former owner who wrote the article. When asked, he can not give any proof that it is in fact an Allard, he always assumed that it was.

However, it very well can turn out to be an Allard. The now owner wants to be more certain, that's all.
    The only reference book an Allards that I have is the one by Kinsella, but I will not have access to that until at least mid November. But as I said, I can't remember having seen it being mentioned there, however it is not a very comprehensive book.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

rodney woolnough

Quote Originally Posted by J.J.Horst View Post

I wrote the artical and all information at the time led the owner to believe it was an ALLARD special...members af the ALLARD club in VICTORIA had seen the car and agreed at no point did I own the car.RODNEY

No worries, Rodney. Your honesty isn't being questioned here... welcome, BTW.

Post-war specials being what that are, it's someone's creation on Allard components and that's not a bad thing.
    A shame it's provenance isn't clear, but it surely wasn't built to fool anyone. At least not originally...
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

steven
    edited to embolden the suggestion that it seems has been overlooked.
    apart from The Nostalgia Forum, Autopuzzles would both imho be worthy sources and very likely to reward testing with this question ...

rodney woolnoug

edited to embolden the suggestion that it seems has been overlooked.
    apart from The Nostalgia Forum, Autopuzzles would both imho be worthy sources and very likely to reward testing with this question ...
    re ALLARD, the deceaesd ex owner wasnt a car person, he bought the car,believe it or not,because he liked the look of it,,,it did seem to have some ALLARD parts ie front and rear suspension,the engine was an Canadian number flathead and the frame rails were also the type ALLARD used,I have heard recently that two ALLARDS were imported into Victoria around the same time,the both went to central VIC one was badly damaged in an accident,maybe this is this car,,,I did drive the car ir handled very well and went very well,I have driven a 38 Ford special and one built in the early fifties the car in question was better than both if you can overlook its looks it a very good Ford or ALLARD SPECIAL....RODNEY

Thread Information