Thread: First images of Peugeot's new Le Mans challenger ...

First images of Peugeot's new Le Mans challenger ...

Over the weekend, Peugeot have released the first three images of the team's all new machine for the 2011 season. The replacement of the hugely impressive 908 is currently code-named the 90X. Not much else was revealed in the press release that came with the pictures. With its fixed head layout and 2010 livery, the 90X looks deceivingly similar to its predecessor at first glance. A closer look reveals many subtle changes to the exterior. The raised nose has been retained but the area between the nose and the fenders has been significantly changed. The 'side-pods' are also completely different and more closely resemble the design used by Audi on the R15 plus. The rear-end is also refined with the sculpted fender tips as highlights. Naturally the engine cover sports the big fin, which will be mandatory from 2011 onwards. Perhaps the most visible changes is the sizeable scoop on the roof of the car that feeds fresh air to the engine. The engine will definitely be brand new as the displacement limits are virtually cut in half as part of the new regulation package. Whereas the 908 was powered by a diesel engine, it is believed that the latest Peugeot will use a petrol, twin-turbo V6 engine.
    In 2011, the 90X will be pitched against the equally new Audi R18. Rumors suggest that the German team will continue on the diesel path, so we might get the first fight between top-line petrol and diesel cars. The 90X was snapped on its first test run, so Peugeot might have a slight head-start over their rivals.

Enjoy the links:

2011 Peugeot 90X - Images, Specifications and Information
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

oh no
    Big horrible flat fin jsut liek F1 -- didnt' want that....
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    oh no
    Big horrible flat fin jsut liek F1 -- didnt' want that....
    I don't think that Pug had that many time to reengineer the platform (the new regulations weren't made that long ago, and the next season isn't that far away). I understand you complaint, though.

Now I'm interested in what Audi will do with the R15. The have to react to the new reglement, but i don't know how they will.
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

Audi has the R18 to be testing as soon as the ILMC season ends. Audi is also rumored to be experimenting with a wide tired version of the R15, nicknamed the "plus-plus" by Marshall Pruett. The Pug is rumored to possibly be running the rears on the front, and the Audi R18 is rumored to do the same.

Don't know about the rumored 2011 R15. Unless it's a test mule for the R18 or Audi does still think that they'll run in the ALMS, the wide tired R15 may be just a waste of time, unless they plan on running it at Zhuhai.
    Power to me is having the ability to make a change in a positive way. Don't dream it, be it.

OFFICIAL PRESENTATION OF PEUGEOT SPORT'S 2011 PROGRAMME – February 3, 2011

LIVE at Peugeot Sport - accueil

Peugeot Sport will reveal its 2011 programme and take the wraps off its new endurance challenger at its Peugeot Avenue showroom (136 avenue des Champs-Elysées) in Paris, on February 3, 2011. The presentation will be attended by all the drivers and will be covered live on the internet at Peugeot Sport - accueil.

Interesting looking but not really pretty. I wonder what those cars would look like if they were allowed the aero freedoms of the 1980s (not saying that would be a good idea, just pondering). I really don't like the stepped nose incorporated into the front of the car. I would love to see the age of the stepped nose come to a close.

Well really the stepped nose solved the biggest problem in Sportscar racing in bringing the front downforce the the level of that of a single seater(the fact that now they are able to work a wider front is a proof of that). Even the Group C cars can't get that issue solved on aero balance but doing it through sheer amount of downforce, and when you get to the 1991-1993 period(which is what I'd consider as the ultimate in Group C aero) they were already making extreme level of downforce but you are still seeing Peugeot or the Toyota running what is essentially a front wing on their non-Le Mans trim. Its here to stay until the rule maker writes it out...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Well really the stepped nose solved the biggest problem in Sportscar racing in bringing the front downforce the the level of that of a single seater(the fact that now they are able to work a wider front is a proof of that). Even the Group C cars can't get that issue solved on aero balance but doing it through sheer amount of downforce, and when you get to the 1991-1993 period(which is what I'd consider as the ultimate in Group C aero) they were already making extreme level of downforce but you are still seeing Peugeot or the Toyota running what is essentially a front wing on their non-Le Mans trim. Its here to stay until the rule maker writes it out...
    On most of the formula cars the stepped nose came about because of rules that limited the size or effectiveness of the front wing in other ways (narrow track width, very limited space between the wing and front wheels etc. Of course it also maters what type of track you are running on. Fast tracks such as ovals required a different setup than slower tracks. Note that Indy cars never switched to stepped noses even when they were a one chassis series.

Anyway, have the rules of the prototype classes changed in a way to reduce front downforce? I know over the years they have worked to reduce total downforce and more importantly worked to make sure the cars don't take flight. What rule changes have we seen at the front of the cars? I'm still not sold on the idea (though I am not claiming I'm right) that with the old rules a stepped nose would still be part of the package.

BTW, from an aesthetic POV, it's not nearly as offensive on the sports racers as it is on the F1 cars (which really haven't been good looking since the advent of the stepped nose). Perhaps that's a combination of the not using the silly looking balloon tires and the rest of the front of the car keeping the actual nose down and keeping any odd looking suspension out of view. The seriously downward sweeping F1 front suspension would look more at home on an off road racer than an F1 car.
    Last edited by culver; 01-31-2011 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by culver View Post
    On most of the formula cars the stepped nose came about because of rules that limited the size or effectiveness of the front wing in other ways (narrow track width, very limited space between the wing and front wheels etc. Of course it also maters what type of track you are running on. Fast tracks such as ovals required a different setup than slower tracks. Note that Indy cars never switched to stepped noses even when they were a one chassis series.

Anyway, have the rules of the prototype classes changed in a way to reduce front downforce? I know over the years they have worked to reduce total downforce and more importantly worked to make sure the cars don't take flight. What rule changes have we seen at the front of the cars? I'm still not sold on the idea (though I am not claiming I'm right) that with the old rules a stepped nose would still be part of the package.

BTW, from an aesthetic POV, it's not nearly as offensive on the sports racers as it is on the F1 cars (which really haven't been good looking since the advent of the stepped nose). Perhaps that's a combination of the not using the silly looking balloon tires and the rest of the front of the car keeping the actual nose down and keeping any odd looking suspension out of view. The seriously downward sweeping F1 front suspension would look more at home on an off road racer than an F1 car.

Not really rule change(aside from you can't actually use a front wing anymore, a la Peugeot 905 Evo, or I guess, Audi R15 also). Much like you pointed out though, when you are limited by the width or size of the front wing that the stepped nose came in vogue. Sportscar in a sense was always saddled by the issue as the bodywork limits what you can get on the front(The fenders and the tire clearance for steering). The old design of the flat splitter is only effective to a point and the fact that you can run wings and tunnels(in Group C days and now) means that you are always saddled by the aero bias much more towards the rear. The use of the shaped underfloor in front of the front axle allows much more effective aero solution, but to fully exploit that they need to move everything out of the way, much like the raise nose in F1 cars does, so they do the same thing, they raise the nose on the sports car.

Interesting though now that they are back in using low and WIDE front wing that they kept the high nose though, with the wing being that much more effective now, clearing the downstream flow and more effective extraction over the wing means that high nose is still very much beneficial....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Thread Information