Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Top Gear : USA Premieres Tonight

Jalopnik reported that the History Channel were happy with the 1.9 million audience that watched.

Offhand, 1.9 mill seems really good for the History Channel/cable.

Walking Dead I hear was the biggest cable premiere ever ad it had 5 million.

I believe the new Sarah Palin show on TLC drew 4.x million for first ep(dropped to 2.x for 2nd ep).

Will be interesting to see what the 2nd ep of Top Gear draws....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    I believe the new Sarah Palin show on TLC drew 4.x million for first ep(dropped to 2.x for 2nd ep).

Will be interesting to see what the 2nd ep of Top Gear draws....
    I saw some of the first and second episodes of that.

It's funny; people that love her will watch it for obvious reasons, and people that hate her will too to laugh at her.

I have come to single out one aspect of "conservatism" that I dislike most - populist conservatism.

Intelligent "conservatism", that has reasonable ideas and intelligent criticism of "liberals" or the left is one thing.

The Tea Party is something entirely different.

I can't say I loved TgUSA as much as TgUK, but it was a good show and surely watch it again. I think Tanner Foust and Rutledge Wood had chemistry riding in the Viper, and so I feel they are the solid pair. But Adam Ferrara? I honestly cannot think of a worst choice. The guy does not demonstrate an interest in cars at all. His automotive background is non existant. I mean, Hammond was a car guy before Top gear. He had bikes and a Porsche before joining TG. But Ferrara? He drives a Lexus. What's that tell ya?

I found the filming highly lackluster. Top Gear UK's Filming is just brilliant. Great well done effects, awesome angles, great screenplay, and even great background music. TG USA had no effects whatsoever, poor angles, dreadful screenplay, and what was practically Musak in the background. The Big Star in a Small Car had the camera placed in the completely wrong spot right above the wheel. The filming around the track was terrible, no dynamic angles at all. it was incredibly boring viewing.

I thought the testing of the Lamborghini's was terrible. The ONLY test they did were the hot laps and a standing mile. Hardly challenging, hardly exciting.

What i did like is that Foust is alot more technical in his reviews. He has the right background and understands whats going on with the cars. I can appreciate the technical knowledge.

The only thing that would bring me back are the few chuckles I got and the hope that it could improve.
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

The BBC has an open license to use pretty much any music they find, so of course they're going to have good music. That's also why the music changes for the international version. If you want to see the difference, find the broadcast and DVD version of the Vietnam special.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

SArah Palin has her own TV show ???

Must find that, combined with Glenn Beck I coudl end up seriously ill in hospital laughing myself to death
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post

It's funny; people that love her will watch it for obvious reasons, and people that hate her will too to laugh at her.

I have come to single out one aspect of "conservatism" that I dislike most - populist conservatism.

Intelligent "conservatism", that has reasonable ideas and intelligent criticism of "liberals" or the left is one thing.

The important thing to remember about any Palin Cable TV appearances, is the role of Rupert Murdock, who owns FoxNews, Speed, Fuel TV, FX, of all things The National Geographic Channels, etc.

...and anything "Faux" or Murdock related is going to be questionable.
    Regards,
    Savageduck

"The machine does not isolate man from the great problems of nature, but plunges him more deeply into them."
    Antoine De Saint-Exupéry

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post

We should hang out...lol

And yeah, Palin has a TV show, "Sarah Palin's Alaska". Its her family doing things people can do in Alaska.
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^ yeah it amazes me how "successful" shows sold worldwide will get threatened with canning all in the belief that anyone bothers to watch an advert.

Seems the UK audiences have saved a few Sci-Fi shows over the years
    On this sci-fi note, "Fringe" is on the verge of getting canned by FOX if the views dont rise.

This Saddens me as its one of the greatest shows on tv right now.

On the other hand, Im wondering if its worth finding a torrent for TG:US.
    Miscommunication seems to be a direct result of misplaced, text based sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Mustang Fan View Post
    There are certain sites dedicated to these things. Finalgear dot com for example.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    We should hang out...lol
    You agree with me? Or disagree? Hah.

TG really got worldwide appeal after the 2000's with the help of the internet

but by that stage they had stopped being a hardcore car test TV slot , & became a platform for the presenters

i couldnt watch TG AU , it did improve , but its still highly geared towards the lowest denominator possible . will be looking for the US version now ~

indeed badsight, top gear AU is about as entertaining as a heart attack. give me the real deal, clarkson etc, any day.

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Mustang Fan View Post
    On this sci-fi note, "Fringe" is on the verge of getting canned by FOX if the views dont rise.

This Saddens me as its one of the greatest shows on tv right now.
    Agreed and like Heroes, hopefully we can save it for a season but would prefer longer
    It is, it's different enough to be entertaining and give different national input to petrolheads.
    I watch the Aussie one from s1 ep1
    Mind you probably the issue with shows like Fringe is we end up watching a torrent when released in the US rather than waiting 6 mo - a year for it to get shown here !! So channels are loathe to pay lots to show it here as they'll get less viewers. On the plus side, we're getting more and more shows at the same time as the US now
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Just watched ep 3 and have to say the format has settled well for them I think.

AND well impressed at the 76 caddi try a handbrake turn and the off-road was brave ... but ultimately doomed. SHame it never made it to the track for the last part

Thread Information