Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why ?

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami
    Sounds way cool Marta, count me in too!! I'll try not to fall behind cuz of work.
    No problem, just start at stage 1 and try not to look at the solution at the end of the thread.
    I'm still trying to get time to get the next stage up, hopefully soon ( coz another person is pressuring me to get my finger out )
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

going with the title of the thread

Why.....not post stage 9 when you get chance because i know that you are busy
    Last edited by Mustang; 09-05-2004 at 03:23 PM.
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

count me in....i like to see it happen
    Some Rulers Are Immortalized In Marble Others,
    In Carbon Fiber.{Hard Core Audi Fan}Ich Fahr Omnibus!
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    Hey BIG rally fan here. Wanna be a WRC driver when I become big but I doubt I'll ever to be able to become one(Personal/Family stuff)

I'll join in and see if I can make it

(now that I finally found Matra's rally forum[i was too proud to ask ) i don't need that last bit of my signature )

Quote Originally Posted by spi-ti-tout
    Hey BIG rally fan here. Wanna be a WRC driver when I become big but I doubt I'll ever to be able to become one(Personal/Family stuff)

I'll join in and see if I can make it
    (now that I finally found Matra's rally forum[i was too proud to ask ) i don't need that last bit of my signature )

well this will only help you with road rallying mainly and the map skills

when you are readin stage maps they wont look like that

ill try and get an eg for you

anyways road rally would be a good way to learn im prob gonna try nd do a few road rallies along wiht my 205 series

anyways good luck mate
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

here yare

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang
    well this will only help you with road rallying mainly and the map skills

when you are readin stage maps they wont look like that

ill try and get an eg for you

anyways road rally would be a good way to learn im prob gonna try nd do a few road rallies along wiht my 205 series

anyways good luck mate
    Oh thanks a lot mate

The thing is im here in UAE, they have no road rally or ANYTHING of the sort, only the Xtreme Desert Rally Challenge.

The Xtreme Desert Rally is ONLY for the best of the best(Pro's) as Rallying in the desert is no small thing. Harder than rallying on Gravel or the sort cause any minute your tires can sink in the sand or the ngine blow up due to the heat, so there's no way i can get in there

Besides I was already on Skills(couldn't understand a thing- no, not your fault Matra i'm just bad in maths ). I'll try to make the most of it

Good luck to you too

its not depending on maths that much

youll get it in the end

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang
    its not depending on maths that much

youll get it in the end
    Maybe my mind's just not working at 3:44 in the morning....

Went to stage one..looks like chinese....couldn't undertand a thing

Im a huge rally fan but when it come to navigating im hopeless so i think i will stick to the driving and engeering side of rallying

Quote Originally Posted by lukehow
    Im a huge rally fan but when it come to navigating im hopeless so i think i will stick to the driving and engeering side of rallying
    ANyeon hoping to compete in rallying HAS to aprpeciate the needs of the co-driver adn the skills in developing and reading pace notes that produce the fastest stage times. I'd recomend learning them or you'll find you cant' go as fast as you think you should
    And even on navigational where the map solving and reading is more important than pace notes, sometimes the nav will get it wrogn or struggle. THEN a good driver helps.
    It REALLY annoys me that WRC have taken co-drivers OFF the official name on the window of the car. It's a TEAM effort and now folsk dont' even get the simple reminder of equal treatment
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    ANyeon hoping to compete in rallying HAS to aprpeciate the needs of the co-driver adn the skills in developing and reading pace notes that produce the fastest stage times. I'd recomend learning them or you'll find you cant' go as fast as you think you should
    And even on navigational where the map solving and reading is more important than pace notes, sometimes the nav will get it wrogn or struggle. THEN a good driver helps.
    But all in all its all up to the driver. I mean, the driver has ATLEAST 20 feet to see the next corner or something. Even if the co fails, the driver still knows where hes supposed to go. He can go just as fast because he can see infront. Atleast thats what I think

But if anyone can't read a map then that kinda screws up his chance of being a rally driver. It might be logical, but if he isnt used to it then it isn't his fault.

But all in all its all up to the driver. I mean, the driver has ATLEAST 20 feet to see the next corner or something. Even if the co fails, the driver still knows where hes supposed to go. He can go just as fast because he can see infront. Atleast thats what I think
    That's fine assuming you are only doing aabotu 40 mph - where your stopping distance and turn-in woudl cope with only seeing 20 feet.
    IF the corner ahead is a blind 180 then you need to start swinging the car in a pendulum motion from abotu 30 metres back !!

If it's a corner on a crest then BEST you could do would be to go over at 20mphg unless you've a good nav awho can advise and call the best.

Next time you're out in a car as a passenger, play this little game. Keep your eyse closed, ask the driver to say when they are 20 feet from every corner and ONLY THEN open your eyes and judge what you woudl do. Your heartbeat will hit the top fairly quickly THEN imagain playing that game with YOU driving. THAT about sums up serious rallying !!!!

On being just as fast without a nav, then it's a BIG difference.
    You see it with experienced navs competing at a lower level whilst bringin on a driver. They can go faster then the experienced driver, less experienced nav combo

If you listen to a nav you'll hear they're NOT calling out the NEXT corner but in reality are actually calling oiut what comes AFTER the next corner. That allows the driver to plan to setup the car to make best speed throguh a series of corners. You can't do that on your own
    But if anyone can't read a map then that kinda screws up his chance of being a rally driver. It might be logical, but if he isnt used to it then it isn't his fault.
    If that's the case he shodl be a circuit driver and forget rallying

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    That's fine assuming you are only doing aabotu 40 mph - where your stopping distance and turn-in woudl cope with only seeing 20 feet.
    IF the corner ahead is a blind 180 then you need to start swinging the car in a pendulum motion from abotu 30 metres back !!

If it's a corner on a crest then BEST you could do would be to go over at 20mphg unless you've a good nav awho can advise and call the best.

Next time you're out in a car as a passenger, play this little game. Keep your eyse closed, ask the driver to say when they are 20 feet from every corner and ONLY THEN open your eyes and judge what you woudl do. Your heartbeat will hit the top fairly quickly THEN imagain playing that game with YOU driving. THAT about sums up serious rallying !!!!

On being just as fast without a nav, then it's a BIG difference.
    You see it with experienced navs competing at a lower level whilst bringin on a driver. They can go faster then the experienced driver, less experienced nav combo

If you listen to a nav you'll hear they're NOT calling out the NEXT corner but in reality are actually calling oiut what comes AFTER the next corner. That allows the driver to plan to setup the car to make best speed throguh a series of corners. You can't do that on your own

If that's the case he shodl be a circuit driver and forget rallying
    Thanks for taking the time to clear all that up Matra

But then again....how fast ARE you going to be on that sort of rough terrain??

And, even if you understand the importance of a nav, which I do now, what difference does it make if you're a driver? Going on and handling the wheel has got to be on the other side when compared with reading notes abd mapes.

Will try the game, cheers

Adn one last thing, isn't it better if navs call out the next corner instead of the one after? Drivers have to look at the scene infront and get through the terrain while making sure that they tyre stays in place while having the time and all sorts of other things to worry about. I can imagine it would be muddlesome to give in advance and put extra burden on them?

Thanks for taking the time to clear all that up Matra

But then again....how fast ARE you going to be on that sort of rough terrain??
    Even on the Scottish forests you'll get up to over 100mph.
    Approaching a blind corner over a crest with the nav screaming flat out takes balls
    On clear straights in the 100 Lakes they got up to 130mph - on unmade forest tracks !!!!
    Cornering speeds vary according to the zeverity of the corner obviosuly but going round a corner over 70mph with no visbility beyond the apex is common
    And, even if you understand the importance of a nav, which I do now, what difference does it make if you're a driver? Going on and handling the wheel has got to be on the other side when compared with reading notes abd mapes.
    2 things, it enables the driver and co-driver to work together to produce the best pace notes and to undestand the problems if things aren't goign smoothly. The same is true for every good nav, they HAVE to have tried driving at some time to grasp the other side.
    Adn one last thing, isn't it better if navs call out the next corner instead of the one after? Drivers have to look at the scene infront and get through the terrain while making sure that they tyre stays in place while having the time and all sorts of other things to worry about. I can imagine it would be muddlesome to give in advance and put extra burden on them?
    If the driver can't set the car up for the corner FOLLOWING this one then they're nto going fast enough
    Equally if the second corner is close to and tighter than the first corner than it's actually quicker to enter the first corner SLOWER.
    Some drivers have the nav call 3-4 corners ahead.
    A good driver then builds a "nap" in their mind of what the road "looks like" and drive through them to the quickest.
    Yep, rallying is a much harder car driving competition than every other

Thread Information