Thread: Audi A6 launch December 1st, 2010.

Audi A6 launch December 1st, 2010.

With the F10 BMW 5 series being released earlier this year, and the new Mercedes-Benz E-class being released late last year, it was about time that Audi updated the A6, which was one of the oldest platforms that Audi had.

I think it will be interesting how the new A6 pans out. In spy photos, it looks much like a hybrid of the old A6 and the A7--old A6 coupe like lines, mated to A7 influenced front and rear clips, maybe with A1 like headlamps.

However, bigger changes are expected under the skin with the MLP platform allowing for better weight distribution and a longer wheelbase/more optimal placement of the tires closer to the four corners of the car. Both should allow it to have better handling. The new A6, like the A7, will feature Audi's new ASF MkII steel/aluminum unitbody, debuted on the current Audi TT in 2007.

I wonder how the new car will stand up to the F10 5'er and the Merc E-class. The last gen A6 was describe as the best handling car out of the bunch last gen cars, but was always a bit under-engined for the task. Hopefully the lighter chassis and new engines (3.0T V6 and a possible 4.2 V8 out of the A8 and a possible 4.0T V8 derived from the 4.2) will address power concerns.

The new car should launch on Dec. 1st, if Audi TV's teaser it to be believed.
    Power to me is having the ability to make a change in a positive way. Don't dream it, be it.

Second great car from Audi in weeks. Can't wait!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chernaudi View Post
    The last gen A6 was describe as the best handling car out of the bunch last gen cars
    That is... well, al least it's incorrect.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Chernaudi View Post
    The last gen A6 was describe as the best handling car out of the bunch last gen cars,
    Who says? Audi?
    It was certainly no my neighbour, who has one, and finds driving (and in particular the steering) less pleasant than with the previous generation Laguna he had before. (and before that a Xantia).

A launch date of the 1st of December is a slap in the face of the German home market, earlier this week the Essen Motorshow opened its doors and Audi (and VW and Porsche and BMW and Mercedes) were conspicuously absent.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Car and Driver in 2006 tested the S6 against the M5 and the E63 AMG, and the Audi won the handling contest (unexpectedy, as it had a near 60/40 weight ballance), but was dubbed as being underpowered for the car's weight. And it has won such competitions with various American magazines up to this year, and by all rights should've been outdated.

Are American car journalist ignorant, considering that America is an important market from Audi, BMW, and Mercedes-Benz and there is a large market for European cars in America? Or does the American auto industry not get it when the Euro-influence muscle cars such as the Camero and Challenger are out-handled by the Ford Mustang that still uses a live axle at the back?

I've seen the leaked press photos, and, no surprise, it looks like a 3-box A7. I don't know if it's my laptop (which is on it's last legs as is working in a default mode) or what, but even if it uses the same design influences, it seems to be either shorter in height or longer in lenght compared to the older car.

And it definently seems that the German carmakers in general have been opting for evolution vs revolution (except for the four door fastback coupes, like the A7 and the 5 series GT). From the side, the new A6 looks similar to the older car, but for whatever reason looks lower and sleeker than the older car (again, it might be my laptop). I know that some my argue that it's boring, but all German carmakers seem to be going that route--the BMW F10 5 series looks like a baby F01 7 series, and the new E-class has some influences from the old E-class and the current C-class, and the S-class definently looks like a big C-class.

If you want a conservatively styled large four door sedan, get the new A6 or new 5 series or E-class. If you want something different, get the A7, 5'er GT, or the E-coupe or CLS.
    Power to me is having the ability to make a change in a positive way. Don't dream it, be it.

I can't comment on the comptence of North American Car journalists, but the fact the handling is decided through a contest (which probably means a series of tests) makes me think that they don't understand handling very much.

Handling is not quantifiable. A series of numbers and figures doesn't tell you how does the car feel in certain situations or how does it behave at the limit. They may tell you if it grips well or not, but not if it understeers or if it has a stupid dead steering.

We've had C4, C5 and C6 A6s, and I drove the last two, so I think I'm qualified to comment on their handling. And it isn't good. Sure they grip tenaciously thanks to four wheel drive and you can go very fast, but as far as driver involvement and enjoyment is concerned you better look elsewhere. Both understeered heavily at the limit, due in no small part to having the engine in front of the headlamps, and the C6 had on top of all that stupidly light and inert steering.

They also didn't ride very well, especially the latest A6.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Interestingly ,

All Audi A6 gen have front-wheel drive.This one is third from the manufacturer.
    The car had good response over all in one year.
    Last edited by henk4; 12-02-2010 at 05:59 AM.

Thant is great. that it is been manufactured differently. and i am sure this one will be good one indeed.

Buy SUV Truck Accessories
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 12-12-2010 at 09:39 AM. Reason: link redirected

Thread Information