Thread: Opel/Vauxhall Calibra coupe revived.

Opel/Vauxhall Calibra coupe revived.

Opel and Vauxhall are due to launch a coupe version of the Insignia, reviving the name Calibra as it's moniker. It is planned to be a budget alternative to the Audi S5 and BMW E92 335i coupe.

The top range variant will have a 2.8 liter V6 and AWD from the Insignia OPC/VXR.

For me, the original Calibra was a classic, but I see a little too much Nissan 350Z in the roofline of the new Calibra, considering that the Insignia has a coupe-like roof line. Still, it's great to see a classic name being revived in spirit.
    Power to me is having the ability to make a change in a positive way. Don't dream it, be it.

To me the original (presuming that's the 90s one...) Calibra was awful. But hey, each to they are own.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

As I said, I don't really like the 350Z roof line. I'd rather see the Audi/BMW approach--take the sedan version, fit a slightly lower roof on it and fit two doors instead of four.

But then again, coupes are primarily bought as fun cars by driving enthusiast who are either single, have a girlfriend, or are recently married (ie, don't have a big family and need a four door) or are fun cars bought for their mere enjoyment. Most coupes are de-facto 2+2s anyways, because even if the rear seats are large, have reasonable head/leg/shoulder room, access isn't that great in modern two-door coupes/sedans in the back.
    Power to me is having the ability to make a change in a positive way. Don't dream it, be it.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    To me the original (presuming that's the 90s one...) Calibra was awful. But hey, each to they are own.
    Actually it was a handsome liite coupe, wasn't it? Not terribly special, but fine. Better than the Probe for instance...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Actually it was a handsome liite coupe, wasn't it? Not terribly special, but fine. Better than the Probe for instance...
    Nearly every 90's coupe was better than the Probe (if you ignore the Hyundai S-Coupe, obviously). But you are right, the calibra wasn't that bad. The 2.0 Turbo 4x4 is a good performer- and very easy to mod which is why you see tons of them on the drag strips in Germany. I don't think it was a bad choice to revive it, mainly because the Calibra cult is just HUGE here.
    Dunno about the rest of Europe... it remember that it was outsold by the Rover coupe in the UK.
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

the calibra looked ok in its heyday, 2 door coupe thing, from memory it also was a dodgy grossly underpowered fwd pos. just imagine how special it could have been with a decent powerplant and rwd? lets hope they get the formula right this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzycarnut View Post
    the calibra looked ok in its heyday, 2 door coupe thing, from memory it also was a dodgy grossly underpowered fwd pos. just imagine how special it could have been with a decent powerplant and rwd? lets hope they get the formula right this time around.
    The V6 and the Turbo weren't underpowered. 204 hp isn't that much by modern standards, but considering the price and the time, it wasn't bad at all.

Besides, the c20let (2 liter turbo) can easily be tuned to an output of 500/600 hp without blowing the engine.

Still hoping for a V8, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore GS/E View Post
    The V6 and the Turbo weren't underpowered. 204 hp isn't that much by modern standards...
    gee ... *looks outside* its a nice day for contradiction.

as far as getting 500 and 600 hp out of the engine, the chassis could not keep up with this power as it was not built for it.

the calibra would have been a memorable car if it had the basics right, rwd, a nice punchy v6, or even v8, it would have been in a position to give the silvia / 200sx crew a bit of a dust up, but fast forward to today, and the calibra is remembered for all the wrong reasons.

the 90's models seemed to have something of a cult following, getting attention from some tuner's as well, but how popular were they with the general market? you still don't really see many around.
    sort of reminds me of the nissan exa in that respect.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    the 90's models seemed to have something of a cult following, getting attention from some tuner's as well, but how popular were they with the general market? you still don't really see many around.
    sort of reminds me of the nissan exa in that respect.
    Well... maybe not in Oz, but it was the best selling coupe in Europe at the time. I see a few every day, and the days of ricing seem to be over now. BTW, which models did you get?

@Ozzy: the V6 and the Turbo had awd as standard, all other variants had it as an option.
    Last edited by Commodore GS/E; 12-30-2010 at 07:13 AM. Reason: had to add info

I thought the V6 was available with front wheel drive only?

The four wheel drive Turbo model being an homologation special for the short lived Group A works rally car.
    Visca Catalunya!

I thought the V6 was available with front wheel drive only?

The four wheel drive Turbo model being an homologation special for the short lived Group A works rally car.
    IDK about the non-german models, but here, the V6 had awd as standard. I don't know anything about the Turbo being a homologation special, but if you have any info, i would be happy to learn more .

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore GS/E View Post
    IDK about the non-german models, but here, the V6 had awd as standard. I don't know anything about the Turbo being a homologation special, but if you have any info, i would be happy to learn more .
    Speaking from memory, but IIRC the 2 wheel drive, 2 litre engined normally aspirated Astras and Kadetts weren't really fast enough to do anything important in the World Rally Championship, so Opel started developping a four wheel drive turbocharged contender, first based on the early Vectras (which were partly developed on the Spanish Gravel Rally Championship, which didn't require an FIA homologation to compete. The late Delta Integrales were also evolved there, but that's another story) and later on the Calibra, which was really a Vectra Coupé, which became the weapon of choice for GME. Unfortunately the aerodinamic shape and few air scoops and grilles of the Calibra meant it didn't gather much air for cooling, so the car wasn't competitve and the project was abandoned after just a few rallies at world level.

I can check it out for you, if you are interested, with books and further references to be more exact.
    Visca Catalunya!

Speaking from memory, but IIRC the 2 wheel drive, 2 litre engined normally aspirated Astras and Kadetts weren't really fast enough to do anything important in the World Rally Championship, so Opel started developping a four wheel drive turbocharged contender, first based on the early Vectras (which were partly developed on the Spanish Gravel Rally Championship, which didn't require an FIA homologation to compete. The late Delta Integrales were also evolved there, but that's another story) and later on the Calibra, which was really a Vectra Coupé, which became the weapon of choice for GME. Unfortunately the aerodinamic shape and few air scoops and grilles of the Calibra meant it didn't gather much air for cooling, so the car wasn't competitve and the project was abandoned after just a few rallies at world level.

I can check it out for you, if you are interested, with books and further references to be more exact.
    Thank you very much . It would be very nice if you could do so.

Thread Information