Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Music

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I like Pachelbel's Canon, Vivaldi's Four Seasons and Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries.

Also a fan of Nina Simone and Dave Brubeck.
    Albert, I like your musical taste.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

Any classical fans here? XD Things like this changes all the time, so right now, this is what I'm into.

I'll list my top 5 composers...

1: Prokofiev (he composed the famous Dance of the Knights if you guys don't recognise him)
    2: Stravinsky/Shostakovich
    3: Dvorak
    4: Liszt
    5: Beethoven

As for contemporary stuff, well that changes constantly as well. I find I quite like Black Eyed Peas' music right now, and I love Down by Jay Sean. I'm also quite addicted to this song called Ultimatum by Hybrid. Lamborghini used that song for their LP640 launch video :-)
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum9987 View Post
    Favorite Band: Led Zeppelin.

Led Zeppelin
    Cream
    Eric Clapton
    the Beatles
    Wings
    Paul McCartney
    Jimi Hendrix
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Little Walter
    Howlin Wolf
    Muddy Waters
    Bo Diddley
    ZZ Top

Layla used to be one of my favorites. Then I discovered Zeppelin.

But I'm also really into blues and Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf, Bo Diddley, and RObert Johnson really get me goin too.

But guess my age. I guarantee you you will be wrong.
    I would guess based on other stuff you have written that you are between 18-22.

Quote Originally Posted by Roentgen View Post
    Any classical fans here? XD Things like this changes all the time, so right now, this is what I'm into.

I'll list my top 5 composers...

1: Prokofiev (he composed the famous Dance of the Knights if you guys don't recognise him)
    2: Stravinsky/Shostakovich
    3: Dvorak
    4: Liszt
    5: Beethoven

As for contemporary stuff, well that changes constantly as well. I find I quite like Black Eyed Peas' music right now, and I love Down by Jay Sean. I'm also quite addicted to this song called Ultimatum by Hybrid. Lamborghini used that song for their LP640 launch video :-)
    Yes.... maybe a bit geeky, but I was a classically trained cellist and hornist, performing until my mid-20s in both full and chamber orchestras. My tastes are pretty broad and education included the usual masters, but I'm fond of 20th century composers.
    In no particular order:

Carl Orff
    Gustav Holst
    Jean Sibelius
    Karel Husa
    Harry Partch
    Paul Hindemith
    Béla Bartók
    Aaron Copland
    Phillip Glass
    Erik Satie

One of the most powerful pieces for me is Husa's "Music for Prague 1968". Each time I played that piece was hugely rewarding, emotionally. Same for Shostakovich's 5th symphony which I played many times both as a horn soloist and 2nd chair cello. I was also part of a free-jazz workshop playing French & flugelhorn. My childhood musical heros were Miles, Monk, Mingus, Coltrane... plus guys like Ornette Coleman, Rahsaan Rolland Kirk, Yusef Lateef and James Blood Ulmer. Iconoclasts of composition. Atonality remains an interest.
    I also love gamalan and trance music both old and new.

Nowadays I play upright & fretless electric bass, banjo, diddlebow, plus some odd instruments of my own design like electrified washtub and jug in roots-music groups. I also taught one summer at the Centrum Blues Workshops a few years ago. Being a blues & roots promoter for awhile, my heros of the genre became my friends. Sadly, the old guys are dying and I miss them. Bo Diddly and John Cephas especially...
    Bo should've gotten the career treatment JL Hooker had in his last years, but his health declined after losing a couple of toes to diabetes; he passed just after we closed Bamboo Room. John was a pleasure to hang with, a true gentleman, master of the Peidmont style.

I think of blues as folk music because nearly every culture on earth has it's own, from fado to griot to bushi koto. Jazz is our unique adaptation, and it's just as fascinating that nearly every culture has embraced it's freedom, particularly in repressive countries.

A day's listening for me might include everything from Ennio Morricone, Serge Gainsbourg, the Who, King Crimson or anything by Brian Eno. Everyone should listen to "My Life In The Bush of Ghosts" for connection to the sacred and profane, IMHO: My Life in the Bush of Ghosts

So... tastes too varied to list any particular favorite music. Sometimes it's whatever song is stuck in my head... all day.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

clearly a man of many talents
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I dig Eno (I want more of his work - ambient is what I listen to when I study or read), KC, and the Who csl.

I've been meaning to pick up Miles' Bitches' Brew and In a Silent Way. I am somewhat familiar with the offshoots of the musicians he worked with in this period.

I know a bit of the classical you mention - ELP's covers of Copland, and Holst's Mars: The Bringer of War.

Yeah... Holst's "Planets" remains one of my faves for long distance drives.

Bitches Brew was recently remastered, get it. Wish they'd also remaster some of the Blue Note discs too...
    would love to have a copy of "Live at the Blackhawk".

Eno's Ambient series was more academic and can seem dense, but I still consider it as important a touchstone for musicologists
    as anything from the "classical" world. Put on some Roxy Music to remind where he was on the pop level.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

I have one track from Here Come the Warm Jets - Baby's on Fire - for Fripp's incredible solo.

I don't know much about Roxy Music, other than that album of theirs with the attractive women on the cover.

@csl177

Nice!! The orchestra I'm in, the Auckland Youth Orchestra, recently played Shostakovich's 5th symphony, and I was the pianist for it. It really is a very emotionally intense piece!

During the program, we also played Prokofiev's first concerto. I was lucky enough to be soloist, and someone recorded me. If you're interested and got quarter of an hr to kill, you can check out the video XD Link below.

[ame="http://www.vimeo.com/16531084"]Prokofiev Piano Concerto No.1 on Vimeo[/ame]

I was asked to play it about 2 months before the performance, so it wasn't fully prepared, but enjoy anyway XD

I haven't heard of Husa, but I quite like many of the composers you've listed :-) and I second the comment by henk4 XD
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

Well... choosing a top five is really hard, but I'll try.

1. Blind Guardian- Wheel of time
    2. Scorpions- Sails of Charon
    3. Rammstein- Sonne
    4. God is an Astronaut- All is violent, all is bright
    5. Kansas- Dust in the wind

Don't bother to ask, because I don't know how this fits together, either . I like most sorts of music (except Techno- Drum & Bass is ok). For example, I have recently bought David Garrett's new album "Rock symphonies which set me into a state of amazement.
    My favourite classical composition is "O fortuna" by Carl Orff, mainly because it is unbelievably epic.
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

local music from my country, Trinidad & Tobago. Some good Soca & Chutney, good beats, energetic music, love it!
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

wow very impressive Roentgen! You too csl, i enjoy classical music but i don't listen to it enough to know which songs are which and who they're composed by. I do like the selection of classical on GT4 and my favorite one out of those is def. Je Te Veux by Erik Satie. My music selection makes me seem 20 yrs older than what i am haha, my favorite genre is def. hair/glam metal from the 80's and very early 90's. If i could pick an instrument to learn it would have to be the electric guitar. I wanna shred.

in no particular order, my favourite artists ...

1. kings of leon
    2. system of a down
    3. jack johnson
    4. linkin park
    5. mgmt

driving tunes have to include the doors, led zepplin, pink floyd and zz top. now i am showing my age a bit ... ha ha ha!

A whole pile of stuff.

I've also just been reminded that I went to school with the front man for Pendulum, which is pretty cool. He was a year above me, we both played in various school bands/orchestras.
    Last edited by pimento; 12-03-2010 at 07:20 PM.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I would guess based on other stuff you have written that you are between 18-22.
    good guess, but i am 17.

Nowadays I play upright & fretless electric bass, banjo, diddlebow, plus some odd instruments of my own design like electrified washtub and jug in roots-music groups. I also taught one summer at the Centrum Blues Workshops a few years ago. Being a blues & roots promoter for awhile, my heros of the genre became my friends. Sadly, the old guys are dying and I miss them. Bo Diddly and John Cephas especially...
    Electrified Washtub? Got a vid of that? Thats pretty cool.

You knew Bo Diddley? Thats cool. What was he like?
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

Thread Information