Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need some help from my euro brethren...

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    I don't know, I don't find the car attractive at all, no matter how well the Abarth version performs. It's like the VW New Beetle, no matter which way I look at it, I don't like it.
    See thats how i feel about pretty much all of its competition, but not about this car.

Mini's are a little less "gay" than miatas and other econoboxes but for some reason a lot of douchebags in the US drive Mini's so they have a bit of a double stigma.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    I like them but I'd never buy one. Its too cutesy and feminine. Same stigma a miata has. Good car but not very masculine.

"Real men drive Miatas" is probably the next response. That's great and all but it's no secret half of the people who see you driving cars of that sort think your gay or not very 'manly'.

I think you Europeans call them hairdressers cars. Eclipse, Audi TT, Miata, Golf cabrio, etc
    Don't care what sort of people drive the cars I like or want to drive, but out of the ones you listed the MX-5 is the only one that drives properly.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    I like them but I'd never buy one. Its too cutesy and feminine. Same stigma a miata has. Good car but not very masculine.

"Real men drive Miatas" is probably the next response. That's great and all but it's no secret half of the people who see you driving cars of that sort think your gay or not very 'manly'.

I think you Europeans call them hairdressers cars. Eclipse, Audi TT, Miata, Golf cabrio, etc
    i would drive the shit out of an MX-5, i'd rock this daily
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I'm personally really excited to see them driving around here in the streets because i really like them. As for the MX-5 my grandpa used to own one so i never thought they were girly growing up. I would never ever be seen in a VW Beetle Cabrio tho, that's prolly the girliest car we have here in the US. I know if i had the money i would def. buy the Fiat just for the uniqueness of the first couple weeks i had it and then after the uniqueness wears off i'd still look at it as a solid investment b/c it's a neat little car to be seen in anyway

Having occupied a 500 at a motor show, a few observations;

The seats were RUBBISH. headrests designed for aethetics means my large noggin was never comfortably supported.

The interior was quirky and a little cute, but I suspected the longevity of it to be pretty limited. Shiny plastics do not like being handled.

Space was actually pretty good for what it was, it naturally failed the "front seat to my comfort then try and sit in the back' test but I'm 6"4 so there you go.

Would I buy one? not in a blue fit at the extortionate price they sell them for in Australia (Hint: you can have a Polo, 207 or C3 for cheaper) but the Abarth sort of has lulz factor.

the MX-5 is nifty for commuting, no doubt. VW Golf Cabrio's are by very definition feminine.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

I can say Fiat's interior handled very well over 100.000 km on both our cars. Other than that the 500 is using components from the rest of the line-up, so everything was already pretty much tested and improved. Fortunately they avoided the horrible unreliable Ypsilon's steering.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

We have our fourth Fiat daily driver now. I met my wife back in '99, and she had a '94 Uno Fire. Missing all the wished for power, but few cars have impressed me more. It resulted in a '93 Fiat Tempra, a 2002 Punto 1.2 16v, and at last the '07 Punto Grande Multijet we have now. It will be Fiat next time as well.
    If I was You I would testdrive it. In the city it will be one hard car to beat. It's very nibble. It have no problem following the traffic on the highways, and on narrow roads You'll have more fun then in most cars.
    I see the Mini is mentioned here. I'm pretty sure a Mini Cooper S would have trouble driving away from a Fiat 500 with decent power. Our Punto is a better roadcar then the Mini Cooper, and the 500 is a newer contsruction then the Punto. Actually I would think a 100hp 500 have all the fun You wish for. There is very few makes You are able too run as hard as Fiats. Be sure I have tried. For the last 5 years I, and my friends, prefered our Fiats for ong trips too Sweden, and eastern Norway. Mountainoads, or highways, they are just nice drivers.
    You mentioned the seat. I'm a bit disspointed about the seats in our Grande Punto. The
    '02 Punto had better seats, nd even a better steering wheel. On the other hand, I'm not getting tired when riding it. I easely drive 10 hours with out stop. I have poor hips, and shoulder, and the back needs the right support, and though it doesn't feels so when getting down in the seat, I'm satisfied when driving long rides.
    When it comes to choose rides, I tries to be objective. I can't afford a Polo with the same equipment as in the Fiat. I'm not sure how the 500 compares. But another factor is the service. Locally the Fiat dealer have 1/4 waiting times for services. Parts are cheaper for the Fiat. Fiat also is a safer car, and a "greener" car. Actually I find all german compacts to unreliable, and boreing to drive. If choosing french, I'd go for a Renault, but I have big problems imagine me in a new french car. Skoda is nice cars for 5-6 years, then there is trouble. I belive the best option for a Fiat 500, is a Punto, or Suzuki Swift.
    A thing I loved with our first Punto was the drivingdistance before changing the timeingbelt. For Norway it was halfe the distance of central europe. This was due to harder climate. But, we are living close to the North Sea, with more moist, and less freezing conditions. Meaning we were OK with the same milage as in cetral europe. This told me about honesty, and beeing carefull. I loved it, as I appriciate honesty.
    I'm pritty sure You would love riding the 500, but even more the Punto.
    Fiat realeses the 1.6 diesel with 120hp. That would be my choice in a Punto, if I could afford it.

First, welcome on board.

Second, you are wrong on the Mini.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information