View Poll Results: Best Hot Hatch of 2010 (not the ones you had to push and then burned your hands)

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Peugeot 308GTI

1 6.67%
  • Mitsubishi Lancer

0 0%
  • Citroen DS3 Racing

0 0%
  • VW Golf R

2 13.33%
  • Skoda Fabia RS

1 6.67%
  • Ford Focus RS500

10 66.67%
  • Subaru WRX STI Cosworth

1 6.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best hot hatch of 2010

Best hot hatch of 2010

because 2010 has been a good year for hot hatches i wanted to get Peoples opinion on the best hot hatch of 2010 these are the main contenders

Skoda Fabia RS (180 bhp)

VW Golf R (265 bhp)

Ford Focus RS500 (350 bhp)

Citroen DS3 R (207 bhp)

Subaru Impreza STI Cosworth CS400 (400 bhp)

Peugeot 308 GTi (200 bhp)
    Last edited by thebrochureman; 01-04-2011 at 10:42 AM.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

What about the Peugeot 308 GTI?
    the Lancer hatch?, and a Poll?
    Also known as:
    CTD and CrashTestDummy

i will add them in, and the poll i can't do that now i have posted this thread
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by thebrochureman View Post
    i will add them in, and the poll i can't do that now i have posted this thread
    Voila.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

thanks, but how are you able to do that
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by thebrochureman View Post
    thanks, but how are you able to do that
    have a good look at my avatar....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

This HAS to be the Ford Focus RS500. It truely set new standards in terms of handling and sheer power while keeping the fwd layout. The whole car is a masterpiece (at least in my eyes). I have huge respect for the guys that managed to build an fwd car with that much horsepower which can still put it's power to the ground, even trough the twisties. It also shows what a long way hot hatches have come- I mean it's more powerful than a Porsche Cayman R (although it wouldn't beat it on a track, if I'm honest ). The other ones are impressive, too, but you can't beat the Ford when it comes to innovations.
    By the way, I just love the looks. Very sinister .
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

Isn't it unfair to add cars like the Skoda Fabia RS and Ford Focus RS500 in the poll together? Although both being hot hatches, the similarity ends there. There is a huge difference in power and price.

I think the temporary result of the poll says all, 9 people voted for the RS500 while the Fabia, Lancer and DS3 are left unvoted for. And it should be that way indeed, in my humble opinion, when compared to the mighty RS500.

i love the look of the RS500 but i don't like the fact it is FWD,as well of having to steer the front wheels have to cope with 345 bhp. thats way to much power for the Front wheels to cope with. I prefer the Golf R its got the looks, performance, practicality, and the reliability it got the lot.
    Last edited by thebrochureman; 01-05-2011 at 08:06 AM.
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Steel View Post
    Isn't it unfair to add cars like the Skoda Fabia RS and Ford Focus RS500 in the poll together? Although both being hot hatches, the similarity ends there. There is a huge difference in power and price.

I think the temporary result of the poll says all, 9 people voted for the RS500 while the Fabia, Lancer and DS3 are left unvoted for. And it should be that way indeed, in my humble opinion, when compared to the mighty RS500.
    Why?

I'm sure both hot Focuses are very exciting, but I can't help thinking that it's simply too much power for the front wheels to handle. In the old Cooper S you could still feel the torque steer and the understeer (despite being great), and it had half the power of the RS500.

The DS3-R, that looks like it could be a great hot hatch in the traditional sense. Light, nimble, moderately powerful, agile and fast. Only the price tag and limited availability put me off a bit. That and the orange paint.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

You are both right, there is a maximum amount of power which can be driven to the front wheels only.

Unfortunately I can not object from personal opinion, but when reading the reviews it seems the Focus is able to handle that power in a more then decent manner. This due to Revoknuckle wheel suspension and a Quaife differential, whatever that means. That doesn't mean it is free from traction problems though

This poll was about personal opinion though. In that case I rather have the brutal RS500 with its looks and some traction problems, then a (in my humble opinion) boring Fabia. I can hardly tell the difference with all the different versions of the Golf and I never been a fan of the Impreza, although it is wickedly fast.
    Last edited by Man of Steel; 01-05-2011 at 10:39 AM.

The Fabia RS to have is the estate version.

In my opinion, the Golf R is even worse than the Focus RS. As a hot hatch, it's far too complicated. I think that a hot hatch should be car that offers a bit of fun, simple, practical and cheap to buy and run. The muscle car of Europe if you want.
    Visca Catalunya!

Golf's are overrated. Period.

Sure they are built perfectly with German technology and have great lasting value, but I can not get excited about them.

Exceptions are the MK I's convertible and GTI, those are all-time classics with their boxy styling.
    Last edited by Man of Steel; 01-05-2011 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    In my opinion, the Golf R is even worse than the Focus RS. As a hot hatch, it's far too complicated. I think that a hot hatch should be car that offers a bit of fun, simple, practical and cheap to buy and run. The muscle car of Europe if you want.
    True.
    All Hot-Hatches should live in the spirit of the 205 GTI, which truly is the greatest Hot Hatch ever (the only one who comes close is the first Golf GTI, but was too expensive compared to the 205)
    Also known as:
    CTD and CrashTestDummy

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Steel View Post
    Golf's are overrated. Period.

Sure they are built perfectly with German technology and have great lasting value, but I can not get excited about them.

Exceptions are the MK I's convertible and GTI, those are all-time classics with their boxy styling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brix View Post
    True.
    All Hot-Hatches should live in the spirit of the 205 GTI, which truly is the greatest Hot Hatch ever (the only one who comes close is the first Golf GTI, but was too expensive compared to the 205)
    Mk IIs aren't bad either, if different from the 205.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information