Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey PC guys....

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Well, I'll admit, I haven't used windows 7 yet...have they solved the backwards compatibility yet? I might pick up some cheapie if I could play my old games (sim city 2000, sim city 4, command + conquer, c+c red alert, fury3, fallout 2...)
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    Well, I'll admit, I haven't used windows 7 yet...have they solved the backwards compatibility yet? I might pick up some cheapie if I could play my old games (sim city 2000, sim city 4, command + conquer, c+c red alert, fury3, fallout 2...)
    well not quite, since I use W7 I have had to buy a new printer and a new filmscanner, as there is no supporting software available for my old ones in W7
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

^^^ the lesson MS and windows product suppliers learned from Apple
    Used to be driver support was maintained for older products, but the Apple sales model didnt' need to do that so companies stopped. HP used to have a group who maintained and developed the drivers for the printers etc and then decided that they would ONLY offer it for the new printer on the new OS. Screwed HP's image on customer care for years but in fact it was STILL better than the Mac options which were "this is the one printer you can have"

PC owners expect old equipment to work.
    Apple owners KNOW they will buy complete solutions and have the cash to do so.
    Things better, now , but that history does still ahve impact to purchasers and decision makers

btw, It was APPLE who distanced themselves from the term "personal computer".
    You didnt' call it a PC, you called it a MAC ... and it allowed them to demonize the "PC" in all it's media ads

jcp ... how many of those games run on the new Mac ? Comaptability mode is good, but lots of old games talk to hardware at a lower layer so you cant guarantee anything. NOT a PC problem, that's the coders at the games software developers GOogle on the games and you'll find otu if you can or not. Oh and Win7 is to old Windows in about the same way Leopard is to classic "Mac OS"
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 01-12-2011 at 03:01 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    HP used to have a group who maintained and developed the drivers for the printers etc and then decided that they would ONLY offer it for the new printer on the new OS.
    yes, I can get rid of a 1200 Euro HP scanner now....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

How old is it and have you looked for patches ?
    For the expensive pro gear there are often solutions

If you were an Apple-shop doing multimedia you'd have included it int he purchase of the new Macs and network and filestore and even the cables
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

How old is it and have you looked for patches ?
    For the expensive pro gear there are often solutions

If you were an Apple-shop doing multimedia you'd have included it int he purchase of the new Macs and network and filestore and even the cables
    it is too old (8 years or so, HP Photosmart S20) and I bought a new pro-one (375 Euro, not HP). If anybody is interested in the old one, let know.

QED
    NOTHING 8 years old with an Apple brand will work on OS X !!!
    Not even the network gear
    But we PC users feel right to complain about having to upgrade whereas the APple guys dont even think to ASK usually
    boo not buying HP, that's my stock value dropped

QED
    NOTHING 8 years old with an Apple brand will work on OS X !!!
    Not even the network gear
    But we PC users feel right to complain about having to upgrade whereas the APple guys dont even think to ASK usually
    boo not buying HP, that's my stock value dropped
    I asked for advice from a professional motorsport photographer who is currently scanning his non digital stuff. Unfortunately he did not mention HP.

If they didn't work in Vista they probably won't work in 7.. your best bet would be to see if they're available at Good Old Games or something.. the versions available there (cheap!) are guaranteed to work in 7.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

^^^ the lesson MS and windows product suppliers learned from Apple
    Used to be driver support was maintained for older products, but the Apple sales model didnt' need to do that so companies stopped. HP used to have a group who maintained and developed the drivers for the printers etc and then decided that they would ONLY offer it for the new printer on the new OS. Screwed HP's image on customer care for years but in fact it was STILL better than the Mac options which were "this is the one printer you can have"

PC owners expect old equipment to work.
    Apple owners KNOW they will buy complete solutions and have the cash to do so.
    Things better, now , but that history does still ahve impact to purchasers and decision makers

btw, It was APPLE who distanced themselves from the term "personal computer".
    You didnt' call it a PC, you called it a MAC ... and it allowed them to demonize the "PC" in all it's media ads

jcp ... how many of those games run on the new Mac ? Comaptability mode is good, but lots of old games talk to hardware at a lower layer so you cant guarantee anything. NOT a PC problem, that's the coders at the games software developers GOogle on the games and you'll find otu if you can or not. Oh and Win7 is to old Windows in about the same way Leopard is to classic "Mac OS"
    Hmm, Apple supports almost all printers and scanners natively!

And Apple are often a LOT better than Windows to make their products back compatible. Yes with Snow Leopard the back compatible is gone for PPC users, but that is after 2 whole OS X upgrades. Otherwise the only problem i have felt is that old games like Diablo can't run because it's written in Classic language.

And as mentioned when Boot Camping, you can run all the same games on your mac as on a PC
    Also known as:
    CTD and CrashTestDummy

^^^ "Mac options which were" I was referring to older.

WHen you think Apple products you are looking at a tiny fraction of the potential PC products so thinking numbers doesn't work.

Also, as said already CHECK for compatability mode. SOME games work fine in it.
    I expected to have to get a new released/patched version of GPL when somene asked to see what it was about jsut last year and BOY was I pleased when a 1999 copy of the game actually RAN !!!!!! wow I didn't think it would have got beyond line one of the code

"2 whole os x upgrades" ... it's only 3 years ago that OS X was released dumping all older processor families in the act!!
    It's the BS that Apple put out.
    Align Windows with Apple OS releases and until recently MS wre ahead in terms of backward support. ( though being balanced SOME Of that support was not even at the level of "token" in reality )
    It's only these last two years they realised that if Apple users arent' going to complain about being told 'no support' for +1 gen back then maybe PC users will too.

Now to remind. I like both, I prefer the underlying Apple OS than WIndoze having to carry so much legacy cr@p around. BUT, I'm no fanboy so am happy to see the weaknesses and marketing antics of both sides Just making sure Apple-mania isnt balanced !!!
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 01-12-2011 at 09:54 AM.

"2 whole os x upgrades" ... it's only 3 years ago that OS X was released dumping all older processor families in the act!!
    It's the BS that Apple put out.
    Align Windows with Apple OS releases and until recently MS wre ahead in terms of backward support.
    It's only these last two years they realised that if Apple users arent' going to complain about being told 'no support' for +1 gen back then maybe PC users will too.

Now to remind. I like both, I prefer the underlying Apple OS than WIndoze having to carry so much legacy cr@p around. BUT, I'm no fanboy so am happy to see the weaknesses and marketing antics of both sides Just making sure Apple-mania isnt balanced !!!
    With OS X Tiger (10.4) OS X Leopard (10.5), you can run the old PPC proccers, but not with Snow Leopard, which is only 1,5 years old.

But fair enough, this doesn't matter in the subject of selecting a computer
    Also known as:
    CTD and CrashTestDummy

True ---- guilty of rounding up.
    SO a 5 year old processor isn't supported on the new Operating System
    SORRY coudlnt' resist !!!!
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 01-12-2011 at 09:58 AM.

True ---- guilty of rounding up.
    SO a 5 year old processor isn't supported on the new Operating System
    SORRY coudlnt' resist !!!!
    Well to be fair, the PPC stopped in Apple computers in 2006, so 4 year old processors is not supported (But i have read that it can be bypassed, so that SL can be run in Leopard)
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 01-12-2011 at 10:26 AM. Reason: fixed typo in original post quoted
    Also known as:
    CTD and CrashTestDummy

Maybe but it seems to operate better. I don't have all the little bugs and errors I got on windows. And the physical case just seems to be of a higher quality and care level than any PC. Downsides? Compatibility issues, which is really silly at this point. And, no comparable office suite is standard. Other than that I would have to nitpick to find faults vs. Pcs which hand them to me on a silver platter. I'd give a lot to just have win 3.1 or 95 back with some reliability improvements - newer windows seem to focus on adding feature content while trivializing the improvement in glithchiness.

Although ideally, we would cut down this whole computer dependence thing entirely.
    Microsoft Office 2008 is available for the Mac, and so is 2010, but I haven't used 2010. I've used 2008 for Word, and it works fine. You get used to the quirkiness of new Word, I preferred 2003 myself. I'm going to see if my school will offer 2010 for free though.

Thread Information