Thread: My weekend with a 2010 Hyundai Accent

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.

My weekend with a 2010 Hyundai Accent

Went to see some family over in Mississippi this weekend and rented the aforementioned automobile to make the trip in.

It was a dark blue 4-door notchback with (of course) automatic transmission and Hyundai/Kia's 1,6l DOHC 16v inline four.

Styling, always subjective, is handsome and attractive without standing out. It looks more substantial than it's dimensions would suggest and like it's Kia Rio brother, has a somewhat European flavour.

The interior is equally tasteful. Control layout is a snap, with easily legible though incomplete gauges. Materials are low gloss plastics which look classy even if they are hard to the touch. Switchgear operates with a fluid grace. Great job for this price class. Even better is the gorgeous cool blue backlight for the switchgear, reminiscent of VW. The integrated XM radio is a nice bonus. Downside? The seats could use more lumbar support, and while the trunk is decent sized, the trunk mat/spare tire cover is flimsy to the max and won't stay put while loading.

Ok, but what is it like to drive? Not bad! Handling is safe and solid if well short of sporty, much better than the Echo, at the cost of a sharper ride. In all fairness, the ride isn't so bad, but a bit stiff for my taste and by comparison the Echo feels downright luxurious. Highway stability is very good, and worlds better than the Echo's flighty high speed drive. The motor is capable enough, but lacks refinement. It can be a bit vibey at idle, and while quiet under normal running conditions, it gets a loud, gruff drone over about 3k under load. The motor's power isn't bad, but I felt like it's hamstrung by a crappy transmission which saps the life out of the motor. Shifts, however, are usually commendably smooth and early (I like a transmission which shifts early). It's also geared pretty tall, not reaching 3000 rpm until about 73mph in top gear.

Lastly, mileage is good too. Even running 73-75mph it returned damn near 37mpg (~6,35l/100km).

Overall, a great package for it's price. Good interior and a solid drive combined with the low price, Hyundai's ever-improving reputation, and unbeatable warrantee make this a car you almost can't go wrong with. Good job Hyundai!
    Last edited by jcp123; 01-17-2011 at 10:47 PM.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Good review. Was expecting a short thread that used the words "crap" and "shithouse" a lot.

I chuckle when anyone describes any standard cars suspension as hard or sharp though.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Seems like Hyundai is becoming a real alternative. The review reminds me a bit of our i30.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    has a somewhat European flavour.

You take that back right now!

Hyundai are making some good cars at the moment, i like the look of their new Concepts
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    Good review. Was expecting a short thread that used the words "crap" and "shithouse" a lot.

I chuckle when anyone describes any standard cars suspension as hard or sharp though.
    Well, I mean that in a relative manner. With it's short wheelbase, the movements are always going to be pitchy, but the Echo does a far better job of allowing this sensation to be minimized than the Accent does. The Accent thus handles better, but as I'm not much for cornering and would much rather have comfort in exchange, the Echo is superior to me.

Quote Originally Posted by aiasib View Post
    You take that back right now!
    It does! Compared to most of our selection here in the US...

Thread Information