Thread: Two spectacular Alfa Romeos and more Geneva news ...

Two spectacular Alfa Romeos and more Geneva news ...

The last model to emerge from Alfa Romeo's golden era is the 6C 2500 launched in 1939. Available in various configuration, the range was topped by the 'Super Sport' or 'SS' version, which featured the shortest wheelbase and most powerful engine. Production lasted until 1952 and for a brief period immediately after the War, the 6C 2500 SS was the most expensive new car available. A large number of the chassis that rolled off the Milan production line were clothed by the local 'carrozzeria' Touring but Bertone and particularly Pinin Farina were also commissioned to create coach-work for the six-cylinder engined Alfa Romeo. Today we take a look at two unique creations by these two companies, which are today part of the same collection. First up is a Bertone Coupe built in 1942 on a modified chassis with a lowered front bulkhead. After spending time in Italy and Switzerland, it eventually ended up in the United States where it was acquired by the current owner in rather derelict condition. He commissioned a full restoration and the 6C 2500 SS Bertone Coupe made a very successful debut at Pebble last year. It was lined up alongside this slightly later Pinin Farina Coupe. The most striking features of this elegant machine are the dual headlights that would become really popular in the United States in the late 1950s. We captured this 6C 2500 SS at Villa d'Este in 2008, fresh after a complete restoration.
    At next month's Geneva Motor Show, Porsche will expand its hybrid portfolio with this Panamera S Hybrid. It features a new supercharged V6 engine and an electric motor mounted directly on the drivetrain. The two are good for a combined output of 380 bhp but also capable of impressive mileage and emission figures. Slightly less sensible is the Rinspeed BamBoo, which will also debut at Geneva. The brightly coloured machine does look right at home near the beach in the summer.

Enjoy the links:

1949 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 SS Pinin Farina Coupe - Images, Specifications and Information

1942 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 SS Bertone Coupe - Images, Specifications and Information

2011 Porsche Panamera S Hybrid - Images, Specifications and Information

2011 Rinspeed BamBoo Concept - Images, Specifications and Information
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Nice, I Can't weight untill the new Alfa 4C GTA comes out.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by thebrochureman View Post
    Nice, I Can't weight untill the new Alfa 4C GTA comes out.
    weight? You expect the car to be heavy?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Those Lotuses must have been crazy scary to drive, particularly the 40. 450 hp

^^^ Lotus 40? Surely you meant to post here: 1965 Lotus 40 Ford - Images, Specifications and Information No weighting.

Nice piece on the Alfas, Wouter. Looking at the lovely proportions of the PF Coupe, it's not hard to imagine how more than a decade later the '60-'66 Bentley S2 Flying Spur got it's styling cues.

Normally Rinspeed projects leave me cold, but I kinda like the BamBoo and not just because I own a nightclub of the same name. A fun open car with impressive tech packaging would do well in the marketplace, I think... if priced competitively against Japanese cubes. The BamBoo is reminiscent of Citroen's Mehari and that should be welcome in the automotive landscape.
    Last edited by csl177; 02-16-2011 at 10:03 PM. Reason: added link
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Thread Information