Thread: Engineering Drawings?

Engineering Drawings?

Hi all,

I'm doing a modeling project in CAD for some class and my partner and I wanted to do something automotive related. I've searched Google from top to bottom and haven't been able to come up with any sort of scale drawing for any thing other than a Harley-Davidson motorcycle.

Does anyone know of any site with plans and such for cylinder heads, Wankel rotaries, and such? Measurements are great, but in a pinch, I can play with the scale to get a rough estimate.

Thanks.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Off subject but is your avatar really a picture of the butterfly keyboard IBM Thinkpad?

Anyway, I can't help on the drawings. Most companies aren't interested in sharing such material.

I believe their is a Duesenburg guy with a huge collection of Duesenburg blue prints. But I am unaware if they are on the internet. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

See if any of this helps ..... The-Blueprints.com - Blueprints - Cars
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by culver View Post
    Off subject but is your avatar really a picture of the butterfly keyboard IBM Thinkpad?

Anyway, I can't help on the drawings. Most companies aren't interested in sharing such material.
    Yes. It's supposed to be an animated .gif where the lid opens and the keyboard slides out but it didn't work out right and I haven't bothered fixing it.

Ah well. I figured it would a copyright issue. I guess I'll just model my Gerber pocket tool - should be interesting.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

See your PM's. I got loads of drawings of a Citroen 1.8L engine and all sorts of parts from various Fords.

what cad program are you using?
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220 View Post
    what cad program are you using?
    Inventor 2010. I'm quite disappointed that 2011 files are not backwards-compatible. I also use SolidWorks for Formula SAE purposes but I like Inventor more at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    Inventor 2010. I'm quite disappointed that 2011 files are not backwards-compatible. I also use SolidWorks for Formula SAE purposes but I like Inventor more at the moment.
    Same here. I am currently trying to model my entire car in Inventor. Every time I take something apart I take pictures and measurements So far the braking system and front suspension is finished. By the way the files in Inventor are never backwards compatible. A real shortcoming as I use the latest version on my notebook and the school's computers are still using 2009 without Content Centers. Very annoying. You also got Inventor from the excellent student website ?
    Last edited by drakkie; 02-18-2011 at 04:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    Same here. I am currently trying to model my entire car in Inventor. Every time I take something apart I take pictures and measurements So far the braking system and front suspension is finished. By the way the files in Inventor are never backwards compatible. A real shortcoming as I use the latest version on my notebook and the school's computers are still using 2009 without Content Centers. Very annoying. You also got Inventor from the excellent student website ?
    Yes I did. It softens the pain as I cannot imagine how angry I would be to find out that my expensive software cannot interface with the school's programs had I actually shelled out that amount of money.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    Yes I did. It softens the pain as I cannot imagine how angry I would be to find out that my expensive software cannot interface with the school's programs had I actually shelled out that amount of money.
    Hehe yea I can imagine. The only way I figured out was to save as a .IGES file. Unfortunately this means editing it becomes very difficult..

Sadly almost all the CAD packages are jackasses about backwards compatibility. I wouldn't mind if they didn't upgrade each year. Solidworks 08-10 has only been mild changes each time. Sure I can see the upgrades but that isn't worth the upgrade treadmill to me. I would be much happier if like Office they offered the option of saving as older versions. At my last job we would wait 6 months before upgrading because Solidworks initial releases were almost always buggy. However, that meant for 6 months we couldn't be sure if our vendors, us and our customers were using the same version. Again, not a big deal except that upgrades happened every 6 months. It's the sort of thing that I would like to be able to tell the company "we will move to ProE" if you keep up that crap.

Thread Information