Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geneva 2011: New Aston and Jag grand tourers and MINI and Smart concepts ...

Geneva 2011: New Aston and Jag grand tourers and MINI and Smart concepts ...

At next week's Geneva Motor Show, Aston Martin is set to revive the classic 'Virage' name with this Grand Tourer. The luxurious 'two plus two' slots into the range between the DBS and DB9. It is instantly recognisable as a current Aston Martin and features a 490 bhp version of the familiar V12 engine. Interestingly, the car will be delivered with carbon-ceramic brakes fitted as standard equipment. The new Virage will be available as Coupe and 'Volante' drop-top.
    Jaguar is set to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the E-Type debut at Geneva. The star of the party will be this XKR-S. With 550 bhp and 680 Nm available, it is the most powerful model in the current Jaguar line-up. All this power allows the striking coupe to accelerate to 100 mph in just 8.6 seconds. The 'S' can easily be distinguished by a wild body-kit with flared wheel-arches and a full width rear wing.
    Bucking the trend of introducing bigger and bigger models, MINI will showcase this very compact Rocketman Concept in Geneva. The beauty of this show car is in the detail, like the Union Jack glass roof, raised tail-lights and the central exhausts. Many earlier MINI concepts have resulted in production cars and the Rocketman would certainly be a welcome and more appropriate addition to the range.
    Even smaller is this Smart Forspeed Concept. The tiny roadster is powered by a single electro motor and has a range of 135 km (84 miles). It takes just 45 minutes to charge the battery to 80% of its capacity.

Enjoy the links:

2011 Aston Martin Virage - Images, Specifications and Information

2011 Aston Martin Virage Volante - Images, Specifications and Information

2011 Jaguar XKR-S - Images, Specifications and Information

2011 MINI Rocketman Concept - Images, Specifications and Information

2011 Smart Forspeed Concept - Images, Specifications and Information
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

That Jag really is rather tacky... also, not really sure what the point is of the Virage.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    That Jag really is rather tacky... also, not really sure what the point is of the Virage.
    The Virage looks good, but does Aston need another car in their range just to fit between the DB9 and DBS. I know theirs a big price diffrence between the DB9 and DBS but if you want a Aston get one or the other simple. I love the look of the Jag though. And the mini, well it may be good but at the end of the day its just another Mini concept.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

A miniature (new) Mini, what a concept!
    If BMW can vaccinate it against the lumpy-bottom virus and put it or something similar into production, I will be a content hellcat.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

I don't understand the Virage either. I mean, at least there must some overlap with the entire Aston Martin range.

Shame about the Jag's lack of traditional Jaguar elegance, because this car has the makings to be a great one. Also no speed limited is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    A miniature (new) Mini, what a concept!
    If BMW can vaccinate it against the lumpy-bottom virus and put it or something similar into production, I will be a content hellcat.
    Funny that the last production Mini to be introduced is that Countryman thing.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

The Rocketman? Are they serious with that name? Like, really??

So the virage, its a DB9 with a bodykit?
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

.. also, not really sure what the point is of the Virage.
    I don't think there is a point. Its a waste imo. Looks just like every other Aston Martin out there.

Quote Originally Posted by DesmoRob View Post
    I don't think there is a point. Its a waste imo. Looks just like every other Aston Martin out there.
    it will only add to my own problem how to tell them apart.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    it will only add to my own problem how to tell them apart.
    you and me both . I wouldn't see the problem in it if they designed the car with enough of a separate purpose for it to make sense, like an all-wheel drive variant for example. What they're doing right now is comparable to Porsche's million-and-one 911s that no regular human being can tell apart. But unlike Porsche, Aston also changes the length of their cars, and not just the rear widths. So basically, you're still left with a lineup of cars that all look exactly the same, regardless.

I think it would be more interesting to spice it up a little with a new Shooting Brake, or if they're brave enough maybe an SUV .

Quote Originally Posted by DesmoRob View Post
    you and me both . I wouldn't see the problem in it if they designed the car with enough of a separate purpose for it to make sense, like an all-wheel drive variant for example. What they're doing right now is comparable to Porsche's million-and-one 911s that no regular human being can tell apart. But unlike Porsche, Aston also changes the length of their cars, and not just the rear widths. So basically, you're still left with a lineup of cars that all look exactly the same, regardless.

I think it would be more interesting to spice it up a little with a new Shooting Brake, or if they're brave enough maybe an SUV .
    They tried to do that but everyone hated it.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    They tried to do that but everyone hated it.
    I've just looked it up....and I can see why.

I hope whoever made it was fired. I don't even know how it got to the drawing board, let alone the car show. An Aston SUV could look intense if they put the right people on the job, and not the Hello Kitty crew that brought us the Kia Soul and Nissan Cube.

IMO the Virage seems more like a facelift for the DB9 and not an all new model as they say it to be. It is a Ferrari California competitor if I had to take a guess, but yeah, I can't seem to figure out what Aston was on about introducing a facelifted DB9 as an all new model.

That Jaguar looks pretty mean though, and I like it.
    Buy a car for you, not for other people

Well, it's not a facelifted DB9. I mean, it looks like one, and basically is one, but it's not one because the DB9 is still in production with it. It could be a DB9S, but the DBS is already a DB9S, really. And the DB9 is already a Cali competitor is it not?
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

One of my buddies summed it up perfectly IMO.

"So if you are Aston Martin, and you've done precious little "new" in years, to the point where you make a gorgeous design almost look beige, instead of calling something a "refresh" you just change the name, correct? Considering you now have 4 different V12 coupes...that all look almost exactly the same, with the cheapest one looking as good as the most expensive...why? It's not like GM bought you."

Thread Information