Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BAC Mono track car revealed

Cool BAC Mono track car revealed

Meet the Briggs Automotive Company Mono. It’s a new road-legal track toy from england that takes plenty of stylistic inspiration from its contemporaries, most notably the KTM X-Bow and Caparo T1. Unsurprisingly, there’s a focus on lightweight carbonfibre construction, while the car also comes with adjustable pushrod suspension and AP Racing brakes.

The rear wheels are driven by a 280bhp, 206lb ft 2.3-litre Cosworth four-cylinder engine driving through a six-speed sequential gearbox. Weighing just 540kg, the Mono can hit 60mph in a claimed 2.8sec and go on to a 170mph top speed, while at 527bhp/ton, its power-to-weight ratio trumps the Bugatti Veyron’s.

Priced at around £80,000, it’s a far cheaper alternative, and it could end up being rarer, too – production is scheduled at just 50 cars per year.

car_photo_431527_25.jpg car_photo_431524_25.jpg

I quite like it although £80,000 is alot of money compaired to the Ariel atom. Another track day car from a small british companey.

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/265807/bac_mono_track_car_revealed.html

Last edited by thebrochureman; 03-20-2011 at 09:35 AM.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

I'm getting a bit confused by all of these expensive road legal track cars. What advantage are they meant to pose exactly?

For £12,000 you could get something like THIS, which will likely be as fast and a lot more fun. Even a £5,000 Formula Ford will do the job. Then factor in about £2,000 for a trailer ... because if you've got £80k to waste, you probably already have something pretentious with a tow hitch

Then if you want something fun for the road, buy a Lotus/Caterham or something. You'll never even be able to use an Exige to its full potential on the road, let alone something faster and less pothole friendly. At least get something with two seats so you can scare the pants off of anyone you deem in need of brown underwear. You can even get an R1 powered Fisher Fury for around the £6000 mark if you want a raw experience on the road.

I can understand why you would get a road legal track car if you can't afford a trailer/tow car, or even the costs of a track day (though sprints are cheap as chips nowadays really). But why would you spend top dollar on something that is neither the most fun thing on the track, nor the most enjoyable on the road, when you can afford both? Maybe I'm just being cheap?!

Quote Originally Posted by :Exige: View Post
    I'm getting a bit confused by all of these expensive road legal track cars. What advantage are they meant to pose exactly?

For £12,000 you could get something like THIS, which will likely be as fast and a lot more fun. Even a £5,000 Formula Ford will do the job. Then factor in about £2,000 for a trailer ... because if you've got £80k to waste, you probably already have something pretentious with a tow hitch

Then if you want something fun for the road, buy a Lotus/Caterham or something. You'll never even be able to use an Exige to its full potential on the road, let alone something faster and less pothole friendly. At least get something with two seats so you can scare the pants off of anyone you deem in need of brown underwear. You can even get an R1 powered Fisher Fury for around the £6000 mark if you want a raw experience on the road.

I can understand why you would get a road legal track car if you can't afford a trailer/tow car, or even the costs of a track day (though sprints are cheap as chips nowadays really). But why would you spend top dollar on something that is neither the most fun thing on the track, nor the most enjoyable on the road, when you can afford both? Maybe I'm just being cheap?!
    No i agree, a track day car shouldn't be that expencive, you could buy a Second hand Aston martin DB9 for that money.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

It was like those days when every week a new supercar was launched. Only know cars are much smaller, less powerful, have feweer cylinder and turbos and are a bit cheaper.

I guess the economic crisis does make feel itself.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thumbs up

Definitely a cool track car. I would compete with the atom and x-bow but that price tag competes with a Mercedes SLS or sports car like that. Is it going to be a limited edition car or are they going for production?

well, first the JEDI et al aren't road level. But caterham et al with biek engines are granted
    Next a second hand DB9 is a lardy arsed trackday car and not worth eeven thinking will come to 1/10th the experience of a lightweight racer --- now if you mean the racing DB9s then add a couple of zeros on the end of the price

Price wise you're in Radical territory and top of the special engined/tuned 7-esques.
    Build quality comes in to it I'd say,

But once you are into spending that kind of money on a track-toy then when you look around you find lots of skip caps in seriously tuned Evos who've sunk thatr kind of money into making a lardy arsed car fast. AND in case of a friend who competed and EVO for a few seasons he went through 4 diffs in one season at a cost of £17K each.

SERIOUS trackday toys dont come cheap.

Personally I think this looks fantastic and way better than the likes of the Lotus 211 and even the Radical is now looking "old"

Being "road legal" opens up MANY more options for tracktime than non road does. At last shakedown for the OMS we encountered road legal guys doing similar and under track rules they cant run them together So 8 hours at the track and we got in total about 40 mins in the OMS .... but we also got about 3 hours in the '8 so all well

So there are advantages as well as just the basic "bragging rights" Do wish them success ... way better looking than the Craparro
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Luckily for you Europeans that is considered a street legal car. In America that would be considered a race car because it doesn't have doors and is completely open to the elements. I guess I'll be left dreaming for one.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Do wish them success ... way better looking than the Craparro
    That we can agree on. It's great to have a new British sports car company which isn't using a design which they have bought from a bankrupt British sportscar company. It looks amazing from every angle. Infact the exposed tyres at the rear remind me of this. Most of all, it looks less like a kit car and more like an £80k car.

I forgot that some track day organisers aren't so keen on non-road registered machinery (not to mention noise limits). But if I had to spend £80k on a road legal track car I would go for a Radical SR8. The Powertec V8 is a great piece of engineering, and is a better use of motorbike engine than two Hayabusas put together

I think I'm actually starting to like the BAC though. Cant wait to see some videos of it in action ... I think the sound will be the clincher for me.

^ The Powertec is based on the GSX engine block dimensions and the RPA uses the heads as standard. So not that much better use of two hayabusas

Can understand you wanting the SR8. As I said, for me the Radical look is now "old" and a bit "meh".
    You do get the chance to ahve a passenger in a Radical tho' and nothing makes you smile more than putting the fear of god in your passenger as you get to the first corner
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by 250gto boy View Post
    Luckily for you Europeans that is considered a street legal car. In America that would be considered a race car because it doesn't have doors and is completely open to the elements. I guess I'll be left dreaming for one.
    Isn't the Ariel Atom now imported over there as well?
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    ^ The Powertec is based on the GSX engine block dimensions and the RPA uses the heads as standard. So not that much better use of two hayabusas
    Well that shows how much I know about motorbike engines!

^^^ no probs, but it is their own block casting and crank. Not sure of pistons and rods on the latest engine, early 'busa based V8s were just replacing the crank as you said

Quote Originally Posted by 250gto boy View Post
    Definitely a cool track car. I would compete with the atom and x-bow but that price tag competes with a Mercedes SLS or sports car like that. Is it going to be a limited edition car or are they going for production?
    Well their going to make 50 cars per year, so you could call it limited production. Thinking about it the price is not too high because people serious about racing will pay the money, and compared to the Caparo T1 price tag of £300,000 it looks cheap.

How is price tag competing with the SLS that cost £157,000
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Isn't the Ariel Atom now imported over there as well?
    I don't think so. With all the car shows I've been to I still haven't seen one. And a lot of the rich guys want one but can't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by thebrochureman View Post
    Well their going to make 50 cars per year, so you could call it limited production. Thinking about it the price is not too high because people serious about racing will pay the money, and compared to the Caparo T1 price tag of £300,000 it looks cheap.

How is price tag competing with the SLS that cost £157,000
    I got my euro and pound count wrong that's my fault cuz we use dollars. But 50 per year seems pretty limited to me. How many years will they make it?

Thread Information