Thread: Porsche 918 goes on sale, new Porsche hybrid racer and latest carbon-fibre track toy

Porsche 918 goes on sale, new Porsche hybrid racer and latest carbon-fibre track toy

Following two spectacular concept cars, Porsche have now opened the books for the production version of the 918 Spyder supercar. Like the earlier show cars, the new road car will feature a hybrid drivetrain that consists of a mid-mounted V8 and two electric motors bolted to the front axle. The combined peak output of three is well over 700 bhp. Although just rough sketches have been released, the styling looks similar to that of the original 918 Spyder Concept that starred at Geneva last year. Porsche promise lightning quick performance combined with very green consumption and emission figures. Priced at a hefty 645,000 Euro, the first 918 Spyder is expected to be delivered in the summer of 2013.
    Meanwhile Porsche continue their hybrid racing program with a version 2.0 of their 997 GT3 R Hybrid that nearly won the Nurburgring 24 Hours race last year. Unlike the batteries used for the 918 Spyder, the GT3 R Hybrid features a flywheel fitted next to the driver to store the energy for the electric motors. Among the changes compared to last year are more powerful electric motors and a considerable drop in weight.
    To feature hybrid engined cars more accurately, we have tweaked our spec table. This can now hold more than one engine. Both the 997 GT3 R Hybrid 2.0 and 918 Spyder articles sport the new spec table.
    Altogether more conventional is the BAC Mono announced late last week. Built by Briggs Automotive Company, the minimalistic sports car features a carbon-fibre monocoque and a highly tuned Cosworth four cylinder engine. Weighing in at just over half a ton, the compact machine can accelerate to 100 mph in less than seven seconds. Although mostly intended as a track-day tool, the BAC Mono is actually road legal.

Enjoy the links:

2011 BAC Mono - Images, Specifications and Information

2011 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG Coupe - Images, Specifications and Information

2013 Porsche 918 Spyder - Images, Specifications and Information

2011 Porsche 997 GT3 R Hybrid 2.0 - Images, Specifications and Information
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I'm inpressed by the Cosworth engine in the BAC Mono, 280 bhp is alot of power from a 4cylinder engine.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Honda was just a bit shy of that power 10 years ago. Being such a small manufacturer, I wouldn't be surprised if they could avoid bothering about some emissions related parameters. Also, with such a light car, the engine and gearbox are way less stressed.

I'm actually impressed by the way Cosworth is getting back into the market.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Near the middle of the middle of middle England.
    Saving the planet at 199mph? I like the sound of the 918 Spyder.
    Buying a car and not driving it is like buying a meal and not eating it.

"Oh sh*t, we're going..25!!" - A dear friend of mine.

Price however is around 800,000 mark though, so pretty much double porsches previous supercar.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Honda was just a bit shy of that power 10 years ago. Being such a small manufacturer, I wouldn't be surprised if they could avoid bothering about some emissions related parameters. Also, with such a light car, the engine and gearbox are way less stressed.

I'm actually impressed by the way Cosworth is getting back into the market.
    It is based on a Ford engine though, which was previously (or still is) used by Caterham.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

The only thing about the 918 is the price, it’s so expensive compared to other supercars.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by thebrochureman View Post
    The only thing about the 918 is the price, it’s so expensive compared to other supercars.
    Compared to which cars?
    I can't actually remember about another (new) supercar with a price below 1 million, almost regardless of the currency. Only the Gumpert Apollo is cheaper than this, mainly because of the steel frame I'd say, and it's not that new even if it was revised last year.

Just keep in mind that when the Carrera GT was available for a bit more than half the price of this, the SLR McLaren had a similar price, the Enzo was available for about 6-700.000 € and a Zonda was slotted in between. Can't remember how much a CC8S/CCr was going for in those days.
    Incidentally, both the CGT and the SLR were produced in more than 1.000 units, explaining the relatively lower price.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Compared to which cars?
    I can't actually remember about another (new) supercar with a price below 1 million, almost regardless of the currency. Only the Gumpert Apollo is cheaper than this, mainly because of the steel frame I'd say, and it's not that new even if it was revised last year.

Just keep in mind that when the Carrera GT was available for a bit more than half the price of this, the SLR McLaren had a similar price, the Enzo was available for about 6-700.000 € and a Zonda was slotted in between. Can't remember how much a CC8S/CCr was going for in those days.
    Incidentally, both the CGT and the SLR were produced in more than 1.000 units, explaining the relatively lower price.
    I am not say the Koenigsegg Agera is better, and it may not be a direct rival but it costs £875,000 thats under a million. I understand why it costs so much, but i was just saying that the only downside about the 918 is that it cost so much.
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by thebrochureman View Post
    I am not say the Koenigsegg Agera is better, and it may not be a direct rival but it costs £875,000 thats under a million. I understand why it costs so much, but i was just saying that the only downside about the 918 is that it cost so much.
    875k £ is about 993.000 €, that's to say 1 million €
    The 918's price is below 800.000 €, while both the Pagani Huayra and the Bugatti Veyron costs over 1 million €.

So, I can't really see why it should be considered too expensive given the market we are talking about. It will surely be produced in many more units than its competition, but then again it will also justify its price with its technology, supposing possible owners will care about both the price tag and what's really under the bonnet.

In my posession in a week or so will be this....which is the closest I will ever get to having one of them!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I aint know "rookie"
    2006 Ford Mustang 4.6 V8 Premium GT
    2008 Chrysler 300C SRT Design
    2007 Alfa Romeo Brera 2.2
    1972 MG Midget 1275

Thread Information