Thread: Racing tech question: Audi R18 and Peugeot 908 steering wheel.

Racing tech question: Audi R18 and Peugeot 908 steering wheel.

This is a feature of the Audi R18 that I noticed in a HQ Audi Sport Press photo posted in HQ on Flickr and at quattroholic:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Y0GW45JbiW...t%2B2%2B16.jpg

If you look on the back of the wheel, there are two sets of paddles. The lower set is obviously for gear changes, but what's with the upper set? Under the rules, it can't be for KERS or a hand clutch. About the only thing I can see them being used for is a back up for the main paddles or to select an engine map to control power/torque at the rear wheels like on the McLaren MP4-23 F1 car in 2008.

Of course, if anyone has seen Alex Wurz' twitter photos, it seems that the new 908 uses the same wheel.

Any theories on what the extra paddles may be for, and what other cars have a similar layout as far as is known?
    Last edited by Chernaudi; 03-29-2011 at 08:39 AM.
    Power to me is having the ability to make a change in a positive way. Don't dream it, be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chernaudi View Post
    This is a feature of the Audi R18 that I noticed in a HQ Audi Sport Press photo posted in HQ on Flickr and at quattroholic:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Y0GW45JbiW...t%2B2%2B16.jpg

If you look on the back of the wheel, there are two sets of paddles. The lower set is obviously for gear changes, but what's with the upper set? Under the rules, it can't be for KERS or a hand clutch. About the only thing I can see them being used for is a back up for the main paddles or to select an engine map to control power/torque at the rear wheels like on the McLaren MP4-23 F1 car in 2008.

Of course, if anyone has seen Alex Wurz' twitter photos, it seems that the new 908 uses the same wheel.

Any theories on what the extra paddles may be for, and what other cars have a similar layout as far as is known?
    Im highly skeptical of my own guess, keeping that it mind, mabey its for the last gear? For years now, Audi has had the 5 speed transmission and only with this new model they went to the long overdue 6th. Perhaps, they were rushed when developing the transmission and threw the 6th on late for some reason requiring an individual selector from 5th to 6th and back down again.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

As the selector input is sequential then adding a gear is only a "drive" option for the control system. So dont think it woudl be that.

But giving better control over things liek brake balance adjustment or traction controls or any of teh myriad of other controls woudl seem liekly rather than more twiddly knobs the F1 variety is covered in.

Maybe it's his iPod control ????

EDIT: I mean, they've run out of space on the 908 for sure
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 03-29-2011 at 11:11 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

They also have/had them in F1, and on top of my head I think I've read somewhere it's for the clutch?
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

LMP cars typically still uses foot clutch, even though they don't actually use it when driving. F1 does without it since I think its hard to package it in the tub. I think the BBC broadcast over the OZ GP weekend said Ferrari's steering wheel have 7 paddles behind it....2 for shifting, I think 2 for clutch, and others maybe for a KERS/DRS/blah blah.

As for what Audi's paddles are for, thats really anyone's guess...they are all just switches....so conceivably they can be set to be anything...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Lighting and or Pit speed control, maybe even engine start.
    Also known as:
    CTD and CrashTestDummy

I'm thinking that they could be for traction control because of the R18 being a RHD car and there not being a lot of room on the dash for a normal dial, but with the multitude of dials on the wheel itself, that's just a guess.

They could be redundtant or useless, but since the wheel is probably a proprietary design by Audi Sport (built under license by a subcontractor), it's pretty easy to say that it has some purpose.
    Power to me is having the ability to make a change in a positive way. Don't dream it, be it.

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    LMP cars typically still uses foot clutch, even though they don't actually use it when driving. F1 does without it since I think its hard to package it in the tub. I think the BBC broadcast over the OZ GP weekend said Ferrari's steering wheel have 7 paddles behind it....2 for shifting, I think 2 for clutch, and others maybe for a KERS/DRS/blah blah.

As for what Audi's paddles are for, thats really anyone's guess...they are all just switches....so conceivably they can be set to be anything...
    Ain't gonna lie, that WAY too many paddles
    Buy a car for you, not for other people

Thread Information