Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Close call...

Close call...

Itīs incredible that no one got killed. What is not clear on the video (at least to me) is where did the piece wood come from?

Take a look: Video: a very close shave - BBC Top Gear
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

If you look at left you can see it get run over by the trailer's left wheel and then flipped up !

OUCH.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

That's crazy! I guess it's good that the camera was running. If not the insurance company may never believe it!

Why the hell was he filming!?

Jeez! That reminds me a lot of my previous damage. Same situation, with a builders van in front of me kicking up a large piece of plywood in a tunnel. It hit me on the left front. I guess I was lucky, when I see this! I only needed to replace the bumper, headlight and fender. It cannot be said enough, please secure your loads properly!

Something very similar happened to me as well when we still had the BMW. A small metal bar (which I presume was one the road) got under the wheels of the van I was following and hit me, fortunately, on the left A-pillar. Quite a scary situation.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Because of the stupid trailer and truck blocking the highway!?
    Also known as:
    CTD and CrashTestDummy

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    I thought the very same thing.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

That would be genuinely scary if I was driving that car.
    Buy a car for you, not for other people

Quote Originally Posted by Brix View Post
    Because of the stupid trailer and truck blocking the highway!?
    Actually, that's a good guess. Correct sir. Apparently the driver of the struck car is a marketer, and intended to complain to the truck companies about how their drivers are blocking two lanes, poor conduct, etc. Someone dug up the full story.
    All about the t-tops

This kind of accident is very to happen but can happen with anyone and no one can do anything about this as there is no ones fault. Only one advice Drive safely.

^^ hmm advanced driving schools say you can avoid these things
    ( I know I was being told when doing bike advanced rider training with police trainers the many things I missed to do to ride safer )

In this case, pay attention to the road ahead.
    Leave sufficient gap to see ahead of the lead vehicle of any possible dangers.
    Leave sufficient gap to respond to potential dangers.
    observe, obserce, observe.

Having said that though --- as I argued with an Edinburgh police rider on one of my 1-1 regarding a pot hole --- you cant possibly see something so small so far away. His response ? Well I did and that is down to training and observation. Lost the argument at that point, swallowed my pride and listened more closely to their advice

But in this case my view is still "shit happens"
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Such observations skills are also good for when it's wet and there's a manhole cover in the middle of a bend.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Such observations skills are also good for when it's wet and there's a manhole cover in the middle of a bend.
    For sure on the bikes !!! ( damn I forgot I kept getting my helmet slapped for doing that too )
    Aside, my first compeltely destroyed car was a MISSING manhole cover which front wheel "ditch hooked" in and spun me into a lampost. That I was "practising" and had it sideways through the roundabout at excessive speeds was perhaps a contribitory factor to me missing it Never told dad - it was his car - that bit SO yes, even old farts like me who "preach" safety and control on public roads was an idiot once ! Blue Hillman Avenger if you must know .... and 2 broken and 3 cracked ribs and a torn groin muscle and chest brusing after being knocked out .... taught me a lesson ( roll cage and full harness of course ... took me another 2 years before I learned to limit stupidity to track and rally stage )

There's a manhole cover on a bend between me and work.. when I want to remain dry on a rainey morning (motorbike is much dryer than pushbike or bus!) I have to watch out for it.

Unfortunately for people like us (that is, most of the board members here I imagine) it takes a loss of control to truely appreciate being within it. Hopefully only one loss, but yea.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Thread Information