Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Car ownership, advice welcomed

I presume the 152km job takes a lot of open road driving. The Panda may be a little bit too small for the job.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    I've actually considered that. I know VAG cars are overall reliable, but often requires little fixes, especially for what regards the lights and sometimes injectors. All DIY works, but they just add up to the overall cost.
    I would not entirely agree with your statement regarding VAG reliability. My daughter has a Polo, (older than you are looking for, the Polo that is ), but it needed new steering swivel pins after just 100,000 kms. On top of that the battery seems to empty itself rather quickly for no apparent reason....(yes, we changed it).
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I'd probably go for whatever was newest and best value on the day. You've got a pretty poor selection there

pushed for a choice I'd go the Panda. Paint it something bright and cheery and loon like an Italian supermini should.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    If it's for the GF I reckon the Panda. I know my sister likes the idea of rolling in something called a Panda, which is about as ringing an endorsement as a car can get from her. [disclaimer: not really]. Also I kinda like them for some reason.
    I like the Panda myself, would love to get a 100hp model, but it's slightly out of the budget and too much powerful for the new law. Damnit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I presume the 152km job takes a lot of open road driving. The Panda may be a little bit too small for the job.
    It's actually a boring road, single lane, with an increasing number of speed cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I would not entirely agree with your statement regarding VAG reliability. My daughter has a Polo, (older than you are looking for, the Polo that is ), but it needed new steering swivel pins after just 100,000 kms. On top of that the battery seems to empty itself rather quickly for no apparent reason....(yes, we changed it).
    There you go, I just realize I considered injectors failing at 60.000 km something "ok"...

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    I'd probably go for whatever was newest and best value on the day. You've got a pretty poor selection there

pushed for a choice I'd go the Panda. Paint it something bright and cheery and loon like an Italian supermini should.
    That's why we'd like to get one of this:

It's surely no enthusiast car, but it's funky.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

The Qubo rocks and doesn't look that "regular", that's for sure .

However, the Polo would save you a lot of money. They cost an awful lot of money, yes, but last time I checked VW's resale value was untouchable.
    Still, I'm a fan of the Ibiza... I dunno.
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore GS/E View Post
    The Qubo rocks and doesn't look that "regular", that's for sure .

However, the Polo would save you a lot of money. They cost an awful lot of money, yes, but last time I checked VW's resale value was untouchable.
    Still, I'm a fan of the Ibiza... I dunno.
    the resale value is what you pay when you buy a second hand car....so untouchable is tantamount to out of reach.....too expensive, so no money saving, but money spending.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I would buy the Seat Ibiza, probably with the 1.4 TDI.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Well my car has 153.000km and 17 years and everything works perfectly.
    It's actually a boring road, single lane, with an increasing number of speed cameras.
    Still, the bigger car will probably be more comfortable. It will also have a larger fuel tank. 35 litres aren't much for a 150km daily commute.
    That's why we'd like to get one of this:

It's surely no enthusiast car, but it's funky.
    That's just a bloody van...!
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Well my car has 153.000km and 17 years and everything works perfectly.
    Glad you admit that you drive a VW.....

It's a Passat with an identity crisis.
    Visca Catalunya!

Checked something like 10 dealerships or more, only found a few cars that could match the requirements:

- 2003 Renault Clio 1.2 Dynamique, 136.000 km, 4.000 €
    all options, except maybe AC (which would be a no go), but we couldn't check the car first hand as it was at another facility affiliated with the dealership.

- 2005 Honda Jazz 1.2, LPG system installed, 191.000 km, 5.500 €
    All options, runs like a cloks, but definitely too much for the miles and it's MOT check (or whatever it's called) is at the end of the year.

- 2004 Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi Ghia, 71.000 km, 4.500 or 4.800 € couldn't remember
    Another car I couldn't check first hand, so it's a question mark.

- Peugeot 206 1.1 XTS, same price and conditions as above, no idea on the miles though, the car has yet to be retired by the dealership.

- 2005/6 Lancia Ypsilon 1.2 16v, 91.000 km, 5.800 €
    All options, slightly damaged bodywork but I'd be fine with that, it's just a bit over the budget.

That's it, basically. There were other I wouldn't consider for many reasons. I definitely wouldn't stand having a Daewoo/Chevy Matiz...

The Ford seems like the best bet, if it has the basics.
    Visca Catalunya!

Major letdown, it appears the 2003 Clio is too damn light, as it comes at 910 kg and already has 55 kW. Only the 5 door version is OK with 935 Kg.

Damnit.

I'll call for the Ford tomorrow, the Fiesta should weight around 1.100 kg so no problem there. Stupid new law.

Major letdown, it appears the 2003 Clio is too damn light, as it comes at 910 kg and already has 55 kW. Only the 5 door version is OK with 935 Kg.

Damnit.

I'll call for the Ford tomorrow, the Fiesta should weight around 1.100 kg so no problem there. Stupid new law.

is this a joke????

Damnit.

Why is the Clio too light? I don´t get it. Wouldn´t a lighter car give you better gas milage?
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Thread Information