Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The Saab story.

Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

^ Good news, Ferrer.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

Well not so fast on that last one, apparently.

New owners still struggling to secure rights to use Saab name
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Well not so fast on that last one, apparently.

New owners still struggling to secure rights to use Saab name
    Wow.. Good thing to remember next time you buy a car to make sure the purchase price includes the name. It could devalue the sh#t out of your Beemer!
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

It did hurt BMW.

They thought they were buying RR and Bentley (then owned by RR) but only got RR...
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco View Post
    It did hurt BMW.

They thought they were buying RR and Bentley (then owned by RR) but only got RR...
    Actually it wasn't owned by RR at the time. Vickers was selling the car company but RR had rights to the name (and likely still does). IIRC BMW was going to buy the whole thing which was fine with RR. They got no money from the same but they owned the rights to the name. BMW and RR were partners in the aircraft engine world (BMW be a junior partner in this case as RR is one of the big 3 in the field). VW came in and offered Vickers more money so Vickers, correctly, said VW wins. However, RR, who wasn't going to get any money out of the deal, said no. The compromise was in many ways the death of RR. Basically the whole RR-Bentley company went to VW while BMW got only the name. Both companies tried to say they got what they really wanted. Again, there might be some truth to it. VW clearly has grown Bentley and they were probably right that you could take Bentley down market (you know, in to the slums of Mercedes V12 land) while RR really had to stay at the very top of the food chain. A car that's even more exclusive than Ferrari. So VW took what they got and really did run with it while also keeping some of the old school stuff around.

BMW, had to start from scratch... and created some really ugly stuff. But, BMW can claim they got the most prestigious car brand in the world.

I quite like the BMW RRs.. I think they done good. Mostly ditto for VW Bentleys.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

I like the BMW RRs too, the feel like proper Rollers, arguably even the Ghost.

Turbocharged Phaeton is a no go though, altough amazingly VW has managed to leave the Brooklands alone and has done a pretty excellent job with it.

Bentley's being sportier (if such a word can be used in this context), one wonders what they could've done being owned by BMW...
    Visca Catalunya!

Hi fellow auto-lovers!
    Hope you're treating life as well as I do?. I was (am) a great admirer of SAAB. I was really sad that after the latest Chinese bid was not accepted, SAAB directors(or whoever it was who was calling the shots) gave up and sought bankrupcy. I dont get any news after that. Lots of speculations and rumours going around the net, but no concrete plan or brain-storming, seems like. Anyone here know what, if anything, is going on with SAAB. Has it been declared bankrupt or is it butchered bryond recognition? Thanks. Best regards from,
    ...anwar...

More on the swedish rollercoaster.

NEV deal to buy Saab delayed
    Visca Catalunya!

Visca Catalunya!

Can't someone put a bullet in this zombie corpse's head?

Thread Information