Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the Tablets really for?

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami View Post
    The more I read, the more convinced I become that the tablets a nothing more than novelty items or toys.

While I´m far from being an Apple fan boy. Apple does have a few good things going for it.

- The OS, very stable and mostly virus free
    - The quality of it´s harware, top notch I would have to say. I still have a white bullet shaped iMac that is about 10 years old and is still going strong.

But as far as the tablets go. I see no use for one, at least in my case.
    You're right about the OS and all... hardware, maybe not. My white MacBook is going strong, but the case has minor cracks. This version is prone to cracks.

My cousin has an Ipad2, he just sold his original IPad. He told me to get one, to check e-mail, browse and stuff, but it's of no use for me.

The OS, very stable and mostly virus free
    - The quality of it´s harware, top notch I would have to say. I still have a white bullet shaped iMac that is about 10 years old and is still going strong.
    HP Laptop 9 years old runs Windows NT and never had a problem

Still the same "argument" tho'. Spend the money on equivalent providers then you got the same quality. THe problem was the PC industry started a race to the bottom to maximise market share. A few stood against it ie IBM. Even HP lost the place for a while

But it's true and why Apple defend their closed environment so tightly.
    An open expandable system is never going to be as reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    my only tablets are asperins.
    WIN!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Because the iPod Touch is far too convenient. Hence the need for an iPad.
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

My daughter was given one from her University along with most al the students I think. Great selling job by whoever got that order. That said she has purchased all her text books on it and uses it for her readers. I think this is a great use as it is lighter and more manageable than a laptop. It also saved us a lot of money in buying the soft versions of the course materiel as opposed to the hardcopy. She also doesn’t have to carry around heavy books. Downside is the games she can waste time on when lectures get boring I guess…
    I would like one for my music cheat sheets for gigs. It is small and self lit and I could have all our songs on there and call them up much easier than the folders I have all the music in. Perhaps one day when they become a bit cheaper.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

One of my mates is studying Medicine and did a similar thing with an iPad - purchased his textbooks on the device for easy carrying and reference. I see the point of it that way, but for the moment Tablets are consumers of information, not creators. the iPad still needs a main iTunes enabled computer to sync with, and until that changes, I'll stick with the iPad mini, thankyou very much
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by crisis View Post
    My daughter was given one from her University along with most al the students I think. Great selling job by whoever got that order. That said she has purchased all her text books on it and uses it for her readers. I think this is a great use as it is lighter and more manageable than a laptop. It also saved us a lot of money in buying the soft versions of the course materiel as opposed to the hardcopy. She also doesn’t have to carry around heavy books. Downside is the games she can waste time on when lectures get boring I guess…
    I would like one for my music cheat sheets for gigs. It is small and self lit and I could have all our songs on there and call them up much easier than the folders I have all the music in. Perhaps one day when they become a bit cheaper.
    Wow, she was given one? Wish that happened at my university. The closest off campus used book store just closed down this last semester. Now we need to buy books off of the main campus book store, and some professors write their own books so you can't find them off campus.

Personally, I prefer books just because of the distraction factor that you noted. There's no way I could be checking Facebook on paper.

Maybe my age is begining to show here, but I´m at a a loss what the iPad and other tablets are for? I know they are hugely popular due to the number of them sold world wide.

But why? What do people use them for? Can you get any work done on them? Or are they mainly for organizing contacts, e-mails, playing games and watching video?

I know they are lighter and more practical to carry than a laptop, but do they have the functionality of a laptop? For my money, I would much rather have a laptop.

Any thoughts?
    Wow, this is exactly the thing I've been thinking just yesterday. Their big advantage is that you can hld them as a book and read or watch something from a big display, but that doesn't make much sense for me personally. If I wanted to browse the web or watch video I would prefer a laptop, for music or quick web access there are mp3 players and smartphones which are way more portable and convenient. Reading books from the screen is anyway worse for me than reading a proper paper book.
    After all, you should have some bag or something with you all the time for a tablet if you take it somewhere, you can't just put in into your pocket like smartphone.
    Maybe I'm also old, but I can't feel the tablets yet as well. Maybe later, when laptops will be like dinosaurs, I'll get it...

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Wow, she was given one? Wish that happened at my university.
    I imagine it is absorbed in the cost of the course. That said apparently you only get to keep it if you complete three semesters.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

^^^^ Dead simple "salesman" at work in the Uni. Up the semester fee by $799 and offer a "free iPad"

Where do you put margin notes and scribbles quickly and simply during a lecture/lab ?
    Never get the same "feel" or immediate indicator with electronic notes/highlights.
    Just a generational thing I suspect

Also, for tech books I always found the need to flip back and forward and various sections that again just doesn't doesn't work on any reader

Love readers for fiction though and reference
    Just prefer the ink-like displays rather than standard laptop/netbook/iPad

As ntoed, those brought up with books think and use books in a specific way and we then look for readers to match those. New gen brought up on ereaders will use different operation modes.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    One of my mates is studying Medicine and did a similar thing with an iPad - purchased his textbooks on the device for easy carrying and reference. I see the point of it that way, but for the moment Tablets are consumers of information, not creators. the iPad still needs a main iTunes enabled computer to sync with, and until that changes, I'll stick with the iPad mini, thankyou very much
    That´s exactly it, Tablets are great for consuming information instead of creating it. It´s for that very reason that I´m so surprised at the popularity of these things. Sure I can see how they would come in handy for a student as they can download the textbooks they need, but once they have read the material, they still need the functionality of a laptop or desktop PC to get the term paper done.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Quote Originally Posted by crisis View Post
    I imagine it is absorbed in the cost of the course. That said apparently you only get to keep it if you complete three semesters.
    I see. Still, that's a pretty cool program.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    ^^^^ Dead simple "salesman" at work in the Uni. Up the semester fee by $799 and offer a "free iPad"

Where do you put margin notes and scribbles quickly and simply during a lecture/lab ?
    Never get the same "feel" or immediate indicator with electronic notes/highlights.
    Just a generational thing I suspect

Also, for tech books I always found the need to flip back and forward and various sections that again just doesn't doesn't work on any reader

Love readers for fiction though and reference
    Just prefer the ink-like displays rather than standard laptop/netbook/iPad

As ntoed, those brought up with books think and use books in a specific way and we then look for readers to match those. New gen brought up on ereaders will use different operation modes.
    The other thing you could do is not pay and drop out. You can't really opt out of any fees, at my university at least. I never use the buses or go to the gym but the school charges me for it anyway.

I don't remember the last time my school fees were used to directly affect the student in such a way.

I think there quite cool, although in some cases they are pointless. There more of a cool gadget than something you use for work, although in some cases they could be useful for work. Sorry for the change in subject but I’m considering buying a iphone 3Gs and i wanted to know if anyone has one and are they any good?
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by thebrochureman View Post
    I think there quite cool, although in some cases they are pointless. There more of a cool gadget than something you use for work, although in some cases they could be useful for work.
    Seeing as they are not very good at creating content. I don´t see how they could be usefull for work. Unless you work with photoshop

Sorry for the change in subject but I’m considering buying a iphone 3Gs and i wanted to know if anyone has one and are they any good?
    Three my friends have the iPhone 3Gs. It´s not bad. What do you plan to use it for? If you´re going to use it for FaceBook, Twitter and media, look into an Android phone also, but with at least Android 2.2 (Froyo) installed. If you´re going to use it for e-mails mainly, BlackBerry has by far the best e-mail client of any smartphone.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Three my friends have the iPhone 3Gs. It´s not bad. What do you plan to use it for? If you´re going to use it for FaceBook, Twitter and media, look into an Android phone also, but with at least Android 2.2 (Froyo) installed. If you´re going to use it for e-mails mainly, BlackBerry has by far the best e-mail client of any smartphone.
    I plant to use it as a normal phone, but i plan to use it as a ipod quite a bit. The reason why i am considering buying it is because it i whant a an ipod touch and also a good phone and a iphone has them both in one.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

I plant to use it as a normal phone, but i plan to use it as a ipod quite a bit. The reason why i am considering buying it is because it i whant a an ipod touch and also a good phone and a iphone has them both in one.
    In that case, the iPhone 3Gs will work for you just fine. And you can sync it with iTunes on your PC no problem. Call quality is also excelent. Go for it

Thread Information