Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the Tablets really for?

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami View Post
    In that case, the iPhone 3Gs will work for you just fine. And you can sync it with iTunes on your PC no problem. Call quality is also excelent. Go for it
    Thank for the info, it may be a while until i actually buy the iPhone 3Gs because I’ve only had my phone i've got now for 1 year, also i'm save most of my money for the future for when i learn to driving.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by thebrochureman View Post
    Thank for the info, it may be a while until i actually buy the iPhone 3Gs because I’ve only had my phone i've got now for 1 year, also i'm save most of my money for the future for when i learn to driving.
    You´re welcome, if you´re gonna wait a while to buy the iPhone, you might want to wait until June or July, that is when the iPhone 5 is rumored to be released
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

If it's a phone you want buy a decent phone.
    If it's a phone that can takes pics then buy one with a decent camera.
    If you want tunes you can only buy from iTunes and apps you can only buy from Apple store then stick to iPhone.
    Maybe the iPhone will get the hardware to match the competition by the time the 5 comes out .. but by then they've all jumped on the apps bandwagon and the only reason for an Apple brand disappears ?

only slightly :tongue in cheek:

Even angry birds is now out on other platforms and as far as I can see the only BIG thing in the iP/hone/ad in last year !!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    If it's a phone you want buy a decent phone.
    If it's a phone that can takes pics then buy one with a decent camera.
    If you want tunes you can only buy from iTunes and apps you can only buy from Apple store then stick to iPhone.
    Maybe the iPhone will get the hardware to match the competition by the time the 5 comes out .. but by then they've all jumped on the apps bandwagon and the only reason for an Apple brand disappears ?

only slightly :tongue in cheek:

Even angry birds is now out on other platforms and as far as I can see the only BIG thing in the iP/hone/ad in last year !!!
    True, you can get Angry Birds on Android as well But you have to admit that the iPhone 4´s retina display is just gorgeous.
    Last edited by taz_rocks_miami; 04-10-2011 at 02:00 PM.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Apple can market anything. They're unbelievable. A few years ago everyone (myself included) thought touch screens were a bit silly. Now they're the most popular phones around. Tablets are the same, they're like a handicapped laptop that costs twice as much, but people want them because Apple made them want them.
    All about the t-tops

Compared to others I find the iPhone 4 quite undersaturated and it in fact makes the camera look worse than it is ( imho it's not that good ). Find the colour wheel strength lacking in comparison with amoled. Resolution it wins on , but by the time I hold an iPhone at arms length it's screen looks not better than others machines. I think the hype on IPS was overplayed and iirc they used 10" viewing distance to jsutify it as "better".
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

To play devil's advocate for a moment, if your point is that a tablet is just a broken laptop then you're missing the point. The majority of people out there are just consumers of media, they've no great need to be creating it. Also, to have an ipad (not sure about the android ones) you need a PC anyway, so you can still do the small bit of creating you need to. For the majority of people for the majority of what they do, a tablet is all they need.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    To play devil's advocate for a moment, if your point is that a tablet is just a broken laptop then you're missing the point. The majority of people out there are just consumers of media, they've no great need to be creating it. Also, to have an ipad (not sure about the android ones) you need a PC anyway, so you can still do the small bit of creating you need to. For the majority of people for the majority of what they do, a tablet is all they need.
    So they're like a budget laptop, because some people don't need all the stuff a laptop lets you do? They also cost more. My netbook cost me about $320. Compared to the current iPad 2 pricing, which starts at $580. And you can spend $800 up-speccing the hard-drive, at which point it's still a few hundred gig short of the lappy.
    I'm all for paying more and getting less...wait a minute, no I'm not.

It's not sold on any form of logic, it's sold through marketing alone, because people want it. But it's not like buying an Alfa or a Lambo based on passion because it's just a gizmo. You're spending a ridiculous amount of money on a device that will be superseded in just months, and will spend most of its life in a drawer because it doesn't have a use.

That said, it is kinda cool. Cool like the Veyron. Fun to play with, very well executed, but those who buy it either have too much money or not enough sense.
    Last edited by TVR IS KING; 04-10-2011 at 08:29 PM.
    All about the t-tops

Except that it's not really just a budget laptop, what with all the app ecosystems and nicer screens and whatnot. There's always a cheaper way to do things, and it's true that a budget lappy can do much of what a tablet can do, but for a lot of those things the tablet probably does it better. Sure, it's a flashy nice toy in a lot of ways but I wouldn't call someone an idiot for buying one if they use it a bunch, which most people I know who have one do.

ah the trick of Apple marketing wins ... the screen is NOT any better than decent alternatives.
    The app ecosystem is still 99% games and naff apps doing things you'd expect a decent app on a computer to do . It's mainly a TOY and as a toy it's a damn good one. My nephew can give us HOURS of peace playing "angry birds"
    I do think it legit to call them an idiot if they use it for lots of web browsing though as the Flash "ecosystem" is bigger than Apples "app ecosystem" and users are considered by Apple to be idiots for wanting to use it
    cat ..... pigeons ........ retire

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami View Post
    You´re welcome, if you´re gonna wait a while to buy the iPhone, you might want to wait until June or July, that is when the iPhone 5 is rumored to be released

If i wait for the iPhone 5 comes out maybe the iPhone 4 will become cheaper, then i could get the iPhone 4 instead of the iphone 3Gs.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

ah the trick of Apple marketing wins ... the screen is NOT any better than decent alternatives.
    The app ecosystem is still 99% games and naff apps doing things you'd expect a decent app on a computer to do . It's mainly a TOY and as a toy it's a damn good one. My nephew can give us HOURS of peace playing "angry birds"
    I do think it legit to call them an idiot if they use it for lots of web browsing though as the Flash "ecosystem" is bigger than Apples "app ecosystem" and users are considered by Apple to be idiots for wanting to use it
    Subtle Troll is Subtle.

Apples great success is as much the marketing as the ease of use. I chose an iPhone over an Android product simply because I'm pretty lazy really when it comes to sorting out my phones. Having already built up my iTunes ecosystem (not necessarily buying music, but certainly storing it) it was a logical choice. Apps are neither here nor there for me, but I like the design and I like the screen (Which I think does pretty good for Colours, I see AMOLED as incredibly oversaturated and, in a dark room when it lights up, searingly bright). I'm also a bit of a Res junkie (no real reason...just what I like )

Having said that Android is an excellent platform for what it is, they are just two different ways of making money. Android is an Ad based system - the O/S is free, the Apps allow advertising, the search program enables advertising, the system works. Apple get their money at the front end with app and music payment.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

I was comparing screens to netbook screens, given the usual comparo to a tablet is a cheap laptop. I'm also not talking about just ipads here, but tablets in general. If you want flash on a tablet, buy a Motorola Xoom. But again, I very rarely miss flash when browsing with it disabled, but that's my habits. If you like to punch the monkey, go right ahead.

I just picked up a Xoom for my mom's Birthday(yes I am one of those anti-Apple people), and its actually pretty decent and since both of my parents uses Gmail the google integration is very complete. My parents are by no means powerusers so I expect they will be sticking primarily to the core functions, that is checking emails and browsing internet. Only problem now I think is that its still somewhat buggy and incomplete(Browser is crash prone, SD slot is disabled) but knowing Android most of that should be fixed down the line.

I don't have a tablet of my own but knowing how I use my Android phone some times I can definitely see myself buying one down the line, maybe when quad-core super-duper HD tablet comes out.... Compare to a netbook which I have travelled with on a borrowed one, the experience on the Xoom is much better as you don't get the feeling of you are running on a crippled PC...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

hey Pimento, we're not in to punching anyone - symbian or otherw wise ... or trolling sublte or not

IB4R know what you mean about other displays and thankfully can have the option to turn the brightness down to make up. Can never turn the saturation on the Retina up But Apple's integrated auto contrast/brightness adjustment makes it 'easier' imho.

RM's comments are equally important - that the Android world is still not there yet, but close enough for some to "jump the chasm". Kind of like the iPhone revisions and the iPad revisions ... the first ones lack some "necessary" features and they come later.

For me ...a dn we all have differeing needs and desires, the iPad form factor is wrong. It's cumbersome to hold for periods of time. The 2 has made the weight a bit better but it still puts rotation on the wrist that is uncomfortable after a while. For reading text the e-ink is still streets ahead in day and night conditions and VERY easy on the eyes.

I think the differentiator is a web developer/user or a web 'consumer', the latter the target for the iPad and a good fit for those who dont mind missing some of the flash features on websites. Was brave of Apple to hold the line and will be interesting to see how well CSS5 really manages to replace all of the flash experience. So far not been convinced ... but neither too upset as mates and I getting plenty of business from customers who want their web pages dumbed down for iPad

Thread Information