Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: What are the Tablets really for?

The weight thing I noticed as well, so did my parents. They both noted its surprisingly hefty....playing Angry Bird with it sitting on my lap is no problem, but I can see it being tiring if you try to read a book on it or something...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

GOing to be intersting coming in to summer how often the iPad 2 shuts down when it gets over 70 degrees internal
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

The lack of Flash is a deal breaker for me (even if I was interested). While I have a flash blocker on my browser, I still use far too many sites with flash videos to tolerate Apple's no-flash attitude. It's one thing on my phone where I expect a limited browsing interface. It's not OK on something that takes the place of my laptop for browsing. Especially since I just got a new 11.6" laptop.

That said, I will say that the touch interface is very nice for browsing (not at all for typing). When working with a touch screen laptop it was so nice to simply touch the browser tab I wanted to visit.

I don't like the iPad purely because it is, for all intents and purposes, a large and more cumbersome iPhone in both philosophy and execution. I like the way an iPhone works but it makes sense in a smaller form factor for me.

Never had a problem with brightness or contrast from the Retina display - I actually find the viewing angles really good.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Except that the larger screen and higher resolution allow for some different app interactions. They are close, but ipad is not literally just a larger iphone/ipod.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

When I started this thread, I thought a lot of people would come out to ¨defend¨ or al least explain the usefulness of the tablets in comparison to a laptop and thus confirm why they have become so popular. But I haven´t seen that and I´m quite perplexed as to why so many people have bought one
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami View Post
    When I started this thread, I thought a lot of people would come out to ¨defend¨ or al least explain the usefulness of the tablets in comparison to a laptop and thus confirm why they have become so popular. But I haven´t seen that and I´m quite perplexed as to why so many people have bought one
    Consider this. I suspect most of the people posting here are ones that do a lot of internet posting as well as reading. For us the lack of a good keyboard is a killer flaw. Also, it's quite possible that on average those who would post on such a thread are those would see a tablet as too limiting. Personally, I am waiting for a nice low cost fusion of the technologies. I really like a touch screen interface but not the lack of a keyboard. I did XP with a touch screen on a 13" XGA screen. It was actually quite nice. Tablets aren't quite right for me but a really slick tablet like computer with a usable keyboard would be tempting.

yep, culver, I'm waiting for the obvioux to me when iPad launched and built on experience of "fast on" laptops. ie two machines in one. Asus nearly there
    The screen detaches and can be used/carried around as a low power, long battery tablet, but "docks" to the keyboard where processing, space and keyboard exist for real work.
    Much better than the original PC based tablet with rotatable screen and even the Dell new one with flippable display as when you want tablet for convenience than you dont need the processing power.

In my family we are actually big iPad ( and also iPod ) owners. Brothers and sister use them for web access, social network activities and ..... letting nephew play angry birds The limitiations are too high for me, but no barrier for brother. He is an Apple design devotee tho' so the decision making is biased
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

MS is talking about Windows 8 being compatible with ARM procs and fast/instant on capabilities, so there could be something interesting announced in that space in a year or so. The problem with the physical keyboard thing is that they seem to add quite considerable bulk. One of the selling points of new phones and tablets being announced is how thin they are, each one vying to be thinner than the last. I'm sure there's a market for a tab with a keyb, as youse are saying you'd probably be more likely to buy one with a keyb than without, but it's probably more of a niche than a huge market segment. Of course, there was that keyb dock for the ipad, but no idea how well that sold. I've not heard of keybs for the android tabs though so I don't imagine it set the world on fire...
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

I think a lot of people buy them because they think there cool and they want the latest gadget, not because they really need them. When a teacher asked a kid at my school why he brought one the kid said "because there cool" it just shows that some people only what them because then they’ve got the latest gadget.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by culver View Post
    Consider this. I suspect most of the people posting here are ones that do a lot of internet posting as well as reading. For us the lack of a good keyboard is a killer flaw. Also, it's quite possible that on average those who would post on such a thread are those would see a tablet as too limiting. Personally, I am waiting for a nice low cost fusion of the technologies. I really like a touch screen interface but not the lack of a keyboard. I did XP with a touch screen on a 13" XGA screen. It was actually quite nice. Tablets aren't quite right for me but a really slick tablet like computer with a usable keyboard would be tempting.
    Completely agree.
    I'm sort of curious to check the Acer with the double touch screen, but the lack of a graphics card is like nonsense.

The Asus Pieter mentioned could be a good option if the processing power is good enough when connected to the dock. Being related to the EEE family, I'd suspect it's quite low on power for just about everything more than facebook or more than 10 tabs on firefox. Let alone decent speed with photoshop or engineering programs...
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

For I think for a great deal of people and their daily computing needs, a tablet(and somewhat by extension, a netbook, difference I think is mainly form factor, like phones with and without keyboard) will be enough to satisfy their need. A lot of people who just have a computer for internet, e-mail, social media and even occasional video watching, a simple computing device like that is enough for them. Granted I think most of that can be done with a smartphone nowadays, something with a bigger screen is easier to spend time on. If you really have needs for robust computing and/or just try to play "real" games on computer, you'll always end up with a real computer.

A geek though will always get something like a tablet to supplement their PC for more menial task...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

New Acer ICONIA 484G64 (Mar 2011) | OfferStation.com

The double touchscreen instead of keybaord I'm intrigued to try !!

ICONIA 484G64
    RM3,699•Intel® Core™ i5-480M Processor
    (2.66 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 2.93GHz,
    3 MB L3 cache, 35W TDP)
    Mobile Intel® HM55 Express Chipset
    •Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64bit)
    •640 GB HDD / 4 GB DDR3 RAM
    •Dual multi-touch screens, 14" HD Acer CineCrystal™ LED-backlit, supporting up to 10-finger touch

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    New Acer ICONIA 484G64 (Mar 2011) | OfferStation.com

The double touchscreen instead of keybaord I'm intrigued to try !!

ICONIA 484G64
    RM3,699•Intel® Core™ i5-480M Processor
    (2.66 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 2.93GHz,
    3 MB L3 cache, 35W TDP)
    Mobile Intel® HM55 Express Chipset
    •Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64bit)
    •640 GB HDD / 4 GB DDR3 RAM
    •Dual multi-touch screens, 14" HD Acer CineCrystal™ LED-backlit, supporting up to 10-finger touch
    Does look quite interesting. I wonder how the touchscreen keyboard feels like on a day to day basis?
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

^ I was pleasantly surprised when I tested an led keyboard a while ago.
    Quite quickly got used to no physical feedback, tho' the speaker generated click could be annoying to those around.
    Would hope it accepts written and with speech recognition now so good even I'm thinking the end of the keyboard is looming anyway
    At least with thsi format it is full size keys so suited to our fingers rather than those of a 10 year old on phones and a 12 year old on iPad/Xoom

Thread Information