Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What are the Tablets really for?

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    ^ I was pleasantly surprised when I tested an led keyboard a while ago.
    Quite quickly got used to no physical feedback, tho' the speaker generated click could be annoying to those around.
    Would hope it accepts written and with speech recognition now so good even I'm thinking the end of the keyboard is looming anyway
    At least with thsi format it is full size keys so suited to our fingers rather than those of a 10 year old on phones and a 12 year old on iPad/Xoom
    Andriod already has an excellent speach recognition feature called ¨voice to text¨, you can dictate an e-mail or SMS with about 90% accuracy. But since this a Windows device, I don´t know how advanced their speach recognition software might be
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

New Acer ICONIA 484G64 (Mar 2011) | OfferStation.com

The double touchscreen instead of keybaord I'm intrigued to try !!

ICONIA 484G64
    RM3,699•Intel® Core™ i5-480M Processor
    (2.66 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 2.93GHz,
    3 MB L3 cache, 35W TDP)
    Mobile Intel® HM55 Express Chipset
    •Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64bit)
    •640 GB HDD / 4 GB DDR3 RAM
    •Dual multi-touch screens, 14" HD Acer CineCrystal™ LED-backlit, supporting up to 10-finger touch
    As I said, two screen and no graphics cars is fail.
    But I'd still want it in a parallel universe where I could afford it.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

I presume the keyboard ( as most liekly ) will be a DisplayPort interface.
    The HM55 chipset is DirectX 10.Not sure what Acer are doing here but standard "cheap" systems have been using 128Mb dedicated graphics memory. Which for single screen resolution in a 14" display woudlnt' be too bad. BUT I dont see any games operating that well across two screens
    Still not what I want which is a screen with enoguh smarts/space to be a pad and a dock that then frees it to focus on only doing the GPU role and leave trhe app to the i7. Maybe time to get back in the design business
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

My dad uses his (a Motorola Xoom) as a travel laptop, he would use it as an e-reader too if he didn't have a Kindle already. I think they are semi-useful. You can get work done on it (my boss uses his iPad for editing and sending in photos from the field) but other than the games and apps, surfing the web and browsing the internet it isn't all that useful other than as an e-reader but there are smaller and arguably better purpose built e-readers.

People in journalism thought that e-readers were going to be the saving grace of the industry but that hasn't happened yet and I kind of doubt that it will. E-readers are the better bet.

I have thought of one use for a tablet for me...watching movies on airplanes!

PSP or phone screen is too small, laptops are a pain to travel with, and i am too worried about breaking one, and battery life isn't good enough. a 7 inch tablet would be a perfect alternative.

This of course means, i dont have a tablet because i cant justify spending more than 200$ on something i will only use 3 times a year! Maybe in a year or two once some good cheap ones come on the market.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

I've used my netbook to watch movies on flights. The smaller size of the netbook makes it easier to use in the plane vs a larger 14-15" computer. I can see the 7" tablet being even better but I also agree that $200+ is a lot for those rare flights.

Quote Originally Posted by culver View Post
    I've used my netbook to watch movies on flights. The smaller size of the netbook makes it easier to use in the plane vs a larger 14-15" computer. I can see the 7" tablet being even better but I also agree that $200+ is a lot for those rare flights.
    I was thinking about a nook color since its only 250$ and its a tablet + e reader. But the battery life in junk (8hrs reading!) and i think the e-ink is better for reading than a normal lcd or whatever screen the nook has.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami View Post
    When I started this thread, I thought a lot of people would come out to ¨defend¨ or al least explain the usefulness of the tablets in comparison to a laptop and thus confirm why they have become so popular. But I haven´t seen that and I´m quite perplexed as to why so many people have bought one
    The iPad is reaching a degree of sophisticated functionality in specialized areas such as medicine. With the move to digital practice management, the iPad is replacing rooms full of patient charts & the Rx pad.
    http://www.macpractice.com/mp/ipad/
    and
    http://masterofpublichealth.org/2010...ng-healthcare/

Then for the photographers here, there is the ability to use WiFi to download shots from your camera to iPad in realtime as each shot is taken. ...or if you prefer, shoot with the iPad tethered to the camera and import directly into the photo-editing software of your choice.
    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...=7-10055-10851

Anyway here is a good source for information on useful iPhone/iPad apps to move beyond the just initial offerings such as social networking, games & books.
    http://www.bestappsite.com/category/...s/photography/
    Regards,
    Savageduck

"The machine does not isolate man from the great problems of nature, but plunges him more deeply into them."
    Antoine De Saint-Exupéry

thing is "savege" all the "apps" that have now been developed to view things on iPad ALREADY EXISTED for other platforms and esp in medicine where withotu the server and infrastructure for secure and reliable sharing it coudlnt' happen.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

thing is "savege" all the "apps" that have now been developed to view things on iPad ALREADY EXISTED for other platforms and esp in medicine where withotu the server and infrastructure for secure and reliable sharing it coudlnt' happen.
    What you are saying is somewhat like saying, since they have already developed word-processing software, and browsers, why would they need to develop another?

However, the changes are happening, and in some cases have already happened.

What is happening now is a "polishing of the Apple" if you will. The implementation of the medical, education, and photography applications alone are quite exciting.
    Personally I believe the photographic applications are going to prove very interesting. since they can function without a home/base, or studio WiFi network. They can function wholly as an iPad/iPhone "Hotspot" without any server support.

Regarding the medical application. I have witnessed my own doctor's transition from a paper practice to 100% digital. He has told me that there has been a great reluctance among older established practices to make the change from paper to digital, but he has seen the change starting in modern teaching hospitals moving to private practices. Now in our community in California some 95% of medical practices are digitized with tablet(including iPad)/laptop/& iPhone/Android applications.
    All of his practice's patient charts have been digitized. He carries an iPad with which he accesses my chart. He updates the chart. Any prescriptions are made electronically and posted to the pharmacy of my choice. Any orders for lab work are placed via the iPad, and follow up reports are returned to him via iPad. The same goes for XRay and any other referrals and reports.
    He is able to have his iPad with him on hospital calls and update the chart in realtime using 3G, soon to be 4G connections.

...and granted, while there are implementations of all of this stuff on other platforms, the offerings for the iPad and Apple are elegant and work without apparent hiccough.

To relate this to the automotive World, we certainly have moved on from the vehicles available to us in the 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, etc. all of which served their purpose for the time. Things will change, they always do. The same is true of how we adapt the tablets to new purposes, and how we adapt old procedures to the tablet.

The iPad and Android tablets might be trendy toys for some, for others they are very functional useful, and vital tools.
    Regards,
    Savageduck

"The machine does not isolate man from the great problems of nature, but plunges him more deeply into them."
    Antoine De Saint-Exupéry

we were discussing the usefulness of an i-pad yesterday, and the conclusion was, yes, you can live without an ipad, but not without a laptop.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    we were discussing the usefulness of an i-pad yesterday, and the conclusion was, yes, you can live without an ipad, but not without a laptop.

That is an assessment I totally agree with. It does not mean, however, that the iPad is without purpose.
    Regards,
    Savageduck

Antoine De Saint-Exupéry

I could live without my laptop if my work provided a desktop instead and a USB key that gave me secure remote connectivity into my work network from whatever PC I attached it to (they exist). There's always an alternative.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    I could live without my laptop if my work provided a desktop instead and a USB key that gave me secure remote connectivity into my work network from whatever PC I attached it to (they exist). There's always an alternative.
    perhaps I should have added that "my work" travels along with me. I would hate te be dependent on such a connection if I had to operate from Tajikistan....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Ya, just noting that for people in general it's not hard to live without a laptop.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Thread Information