Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What are the Tablets really for?

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Ya, just noting that for people in general it's not hard to live without a laptop.
    my point was more that when you are a travelling worker, you can do without a tablet, but not without a laptop.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Well, if all you are doing is editing photos and writing things, you can work on a tablet if you want to. You'll have better battery life and a lighter tool if you do, which is a plus. It all comes down to circumstance - for many who travel for work then a laptop is certainly the best tool for the job, but for the general public a tablet is probably all they need. I know for the odd occasions I travel around a tablet would do everything I want.

In any case I'm just belabouring that old tired point - it all comes down to personal preferences and requirements. There's really nothing more to it than that.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

"savage" in the UK we have had doctors with no paper for a while in many forward looking hospitals and surgeries.

That was my only point.

The apple "sell" is working well at convincing much of service industry to spend more on "flasshiness" ( yes pun IS intended ) and require apps to be rewritten where IF Apple had been less obsessed with trying to force their way then the apps woudlnt' NEED to have been written -- back to "flash"

re battery life, it's one of the biggest cons Apple have done in pulling wool over the eyes of the many sheep IF you restrict a laptop from the last few years to no multi-tasking, limited web activity, no flash ( video running constantly consumes power ) THEN you can get much more life than the "Published" figures. But till Apple marketing started nobody bothered too much.

BUT, having created the market everyone has to leap in or lose $$$$ .... it's the computer equivalent of the SUV market. A FEW need it and use it but many will buy becuase they think it has benefits.

it does, but for $800 you can get a lot more for your buck ... as is true anyway with Apple in all merket segments.

BUT, it is sexy, looks good and works for simple stuff and for that we have 3 in the family But my daughter took her netbook to Italy for 3 months, not the iPad. One iPad sits and pretty much it's only use is reading books ( tho now replaced with a Kindle ) and playing games !

As Pimento says tho personal preferences.

EDIT: as henk says .... my charity sends lots of people to areas where whilst the communications on paper looks sufficient ( some have beter 4G networks than UK ! ) the poor support and the high costs mean you'd NEVER not take the work with you. So we have netbooks in the office which deliver 7 hours ( measured in practical use ) AND have all the apps and data from the desktop in the office.
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 05-09-2011 at 01:14 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    "savage" in the UK we have had doctors with no paper for a while in many forward looking hospitals and surgeries.

That was my only point.
    My point was more in response to the question posed by "taz_rocks_miami" which started this thread, where he was not able to ID a purpose for tablets, including the iPad, beyond the superficial.
    The examples I gave, merely identified a purposeful function for the tablet/iPad format which didn't limit them to playing games, social media, and watching movies on a plane.

I have been an avid Apple user since the days of my Apple IIe, and I currently run an iMac & a MacBook Pro. As of yet I have been unable to personally justify buying an iPad, though every now and then I have been tempted.
    ...and I am using an Android cell phone, not an iPhone.
    Regards,
    Savageduck

"The machine does not isolate man from the great problems of nature, but plunges him more deeply into them."
    Antoine De Saint-Exupéry

we sensed the "Apple-love"
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

They are for douchebags who like to pretend they have lots of money. Also they provide hours of enjoyment when you are bored.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

angry birds ftw

Thread Information