Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shanghai round-up with news from Audi, Rolls-Royce, Subaru and Volvo ...

Shanghai round-up with news from Audi, Rolls-Royce, Subaru and Volvo ...

Today more news from the 2011 Shanghai Auto reached our desks and we decided to round it up before the New York show kicks off in earnest tomorrow.
    Audi followed up on the A3 Concept shown in Geneva with the similarly styled A3 e-tron Concept. Under the shapely panels the two show cars differ substantially; the e-tron uses a sophisticated plug-in hybrid system that consists of a 208 bhp TFSI engine and a 27 bhp electric motor. Using just the lithium-ion batteries, the Audi has a range of up to 34 miles.
    Meeting a particularly Asian demand, Rolls-Royce took the wraps of the long wheelbase version of the popular Ghost. The car features a 17 cm longer wheelbase, which is all used to provide the rear passengers with additional space.
    Subaru provided a preview of an upcoming compact crossover model by revealing the XV Concept in the Chinese metropole. Like most Subarus in the current line-up, the XV sports a four cylinder boxer engine and an all-wheel drive system.
    One of the boldest releases in Shanghai was this Volvo Concept Universe. The large sedan features an unusually low mounted grill and an engine cover that is almost shaped like the bow on a ship. The profile and rear-end of the Concept Universe are considerably more appealing to the eye.

Enjoy the links:

2011 Audi A3 e-tron Concept - Images, Specifications and Information

2011 Rolls-Royce Ghost LWB - Images, Specifications and Information

2011 Subaru XV Concept - Images, Specifications and Information

2011 Volvo Concept Universe - Images, Specifications and Information
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

That Volvo has some very strange styling. The 544-esque front is simple enough, though oddly executed, the side profile is Jag/Taurus with a little Audi, and the back is Jag with BMW lights. I am confused as to what Volvo's Chinese overlords are attempting to say with this car.

I'm far more interested in the distance between the front wheel and the front door, which seems to be quite big. And they say this underpinnings will be used in the next generation of Volvos.

Is rear wheel drive back in Sweden?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

One thing that stood out to me were the rear wheels on the Rolls, they look to be cambered out and not flush with the body like the front ones. Anyone else see that or am i being tricked by an optical illusion?
    Last edited by Cobrafan427; 04-20-2011 at 07:13 AM.

The only thing I don't like about the Concept Universe is the boat line running from the centre of the car out to the sides. Square or bust, Volvo.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    That Volvo has some very strange styling. The 544-esque front is simple enough, though oddly executed, the side profile is Jag/Taurus with a little Audi, and the back is Jag with BMW lights. I am confused as to what Volvo's Chinese overlords are attempting to say with this car.
    I think they're saying 'We, as a commitee, have many different things we want to see in a big car.'
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

I does indeed look like it was designed by two different design teams which weren't allowed to see what the others were doing.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I'm far more interested in the distance between the front wheel and the front door, which seems to be quite big. And they say this underpinnings will be used in the next generation of Volvos.

Is rear wheel drive back in Sweden?
    V12. Believe me. I don't see any other reason for such a long bonnet.
    But the Design is arkward. Why are they channeling one of their ugliest cars ever? The Amazon looked MUCH better, yet they've styled it too look like the hunchback Volvo of the 50's -.-
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore GS/E View Post
    V12. Believe me. I don't see any other reason for such a long bonnet.
    But the Design is arkward. Why are they channeling one of their ugliest cars ever? The Amazon looked MUCH better, yet they've styled it too look like the hunchback Volvo of the 50's -.-
    the bonnet of an I-6 should be of equal length to that of a V12....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Except that Volvo's I6 is mounted transversely nowadays.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Except that Volvo's I6 is mounted transversely nowadays.
    I think the point was why a bonnet in general would be so long...a V12 would take up the same space as an I-6
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Dudes, it's just a concept. It could even have two V12s and 8 electric motors hidden somewhere while at the same time being made of clay and cardboard.

Or it could be an awesome toy which will never be produced. Hello Furai.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Or it could be an awesome toy which will never be produced. Hello Furai.
    Doesn't look much like a Furai, now does it?

And by the way, the new Impreza is proof the Subaru has finally lost it.

Completely.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Doesn't look much like a Furai, now does it?

And by the way, the new Impreza is proof the Subaru has finally lost it.

Completely.
    No, it doesn't look like a Furai, but contrarily to the Mazda this Volvo could be just a clay model or just like that it could have a proper chassis and even a V24, without that meaning something worth of notice for Volvo's production car.

I don't think the Impreza is half bad, and they just announced the STi is now a different model (a la Skyline and GT-R). Entry level Impreza has always been unimpressive cars with unimpressive specs. This at least it's a good downsizing effort, and could be the base for a good future STi.

Assuming you're referring to the actual new Impreza just unveiled in New York and not this green concept.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Yes, the produtcion model.

The specs aren't bad, but I'm much more concerned by the styling.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information