Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone With A Motorcycle?

Anyone With A Motorcycle?

Just wondering if any of you guys own a motorcycle or ride them?

I recently acquired my endorsement so I now have a NYS Motorcycle License.

Now I'm in the market for a bike so I'm looking around to find something. I took the MSS (Motorcycle Safety School) course already. Safety is my main concern. Looking into a sportbike (600cc) or a naked bike for now. I felt like a 250 is going to be too slow and i'm going to outgrow it pretty fast.
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

There are trillions of threads like this on the internet, and they all say the same thing; what I am about to say.

If a 600 is your first bike, you will drop it, and there is a fairly good chance you will be injured or even killed.

My strong recommendation is that you start on something like a Honda 250, Triumph Bonneville, et al for your first season(s) or you may not be riding anymore.

I would also suggest you thoroughly look into injury/accident/death rates for new motorcycle owners, safety strategies, and all that shit.

Motorcycle riding is far more dangerous than car riding, and a 600 is a death rocket - especially for a new rider. My friend is a very smart man and an excellent Googler and looked into motorcycle safety for months before he decided to get his licence and buy a bike. He decided to get a Honda 250 as his first bike, and then maybe graduate to a Monster 696 or 796. A 250 will still be pretty fast, and the feeling of riding a motorcycle will give you a greater sensation of speed than the same acceleration in a car.

I think a new 600 can hit 60mph in about 2.5-3 seconds. Also, I believe insurance will be ridiculously expensive on a bike like that.

Food for thought - do your homework, and make a smart decision.

^Listen to this man.

Yep, listen to the Canadian.

A 600cc bike is probably the worst option. A supercar-like performance delivered by an engine way too rev happy, will result in you always riding from 8.000 rpm on because under that rpm the power is much less. Thing is after that rev things start moving a bit too fast, not only for a novice.

As weird as it may sound, I think liter bikes are slightly safer for novice riders as there is power also at low revs. That said, I think street sportsbikes like the R1, GSX-R 1000 and the likes are basically nonsenses.

Say the man who almost broke his neck on a 5 bhp, 95 kg scooter a few years ago...
    Ironically, I just sold my Axo bike jacket on ebay. I still have the broken helmet though.

Some entry level Ducatis should be fine, not too much power and decent torque at low/mid revs. Talking about the Monster and the SuperSport (which was discontinued a long time ago).
    I'd avoid all naked bikes from Japan. The same power of an R6 (or thereabout) with a softer chassis and suspensions? NO thanks. Same for all the others.

So exactly what Kidty said, I wouldn't advice buying anything more powerful than say 60/70 bhp, and that's plenty of power for something that weights 1/10th of a car. Probably too much already.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Kitdy, you know a Triumph Bonnie is either a 790 or an 865, right? They're air cooled, so not so powerful as a water cooled 600 but still about 60bhp which is plenty in a bike. They're also rather heavy for a novice. 250cc is definately a good idea for a novice, especially if safety is your biggest concern. Get something relatively cheap so it doesn't matter when you drop it in the car park (we've all done it) then in 6 months or a year look at moving upwards. If you've not planning on flying down motorways, 250cc is heaps - my mate has a 250cc scooter that he's ridden very comfortably 3 hours up country, he had no issues with power.

Heck, if safety is your main concern you ought to be asking about protective gear and defensive riding techniques.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

hmm interesting, in the UK it's the 1000cc bikes we guide the new guys away frmo and tell them to get a 600cc and if it's needed to fit a 33bhp limiter to it ( legal for some licenses ).

The 600cc bike is more stable and has the grunt when you need to use power ( once you learn sensibly ) to steer out of trouble.

Riding a 600cc also means you pay more attention. I've seen "lazy riders" on 1000cc who find that when the need to use power to make the bike turn tighter they are sitting in the wrong gear. Thus why you'll find lots of 1000cc EX-riders

GOD, do not touch an entry level Ducati and only touch an upper one if you've the cash to maintain it.

Leon, you've clearly not been near many 600cc Jap bikes.
    I'm NOT a riding god and *I* can ride a Bandit ( naked, "soft" ) as fast as many on sports bikes and regularly keep up with 1000cc'ers on road runs. I just have to work a lot harder -- whcih I then prefer

If you do go for a smaller 250cc bike then definately make it the plan to be a short term gap and FOCUS on using it to improve riding skills to get up to a much safer bike.

BUT, you are in NYC ? I'd not ride the streets on ANY bike and wait and get a car license
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    hmm interesting, in the UK it's the 1000cc bikes we guide the new guys away frmo and tell them to get a 600cc and if it's needed to fit a 33bhp limiter to it ( legal for some licenses ).

The 600cc bike is more stable and has the grunt when you need to use power ( once you learn sensibly ) to steer out of trouble.

Riding a 600cc also means you pay more attention. I've seen "lazy riders" on 1000cc who find that when the need to use power to make the bike turn tighter they are sitting in the wrong gear. Thus why you'll find lots of 1000cc EX-riders

GOD, do not touch an entry level Ducati and only touch an upper one if you've the cash to maintain it.

Leon, you've clearly not been near many 600cc Jap bikes.
    I'm NOT a riding god and *I* can ride a Bandit ( naked, "soft" ) as fast as many on sports bikes and regularly keep up with 1000cc'ers on road runs. I just have to work a lot harder -- whcih I then prefer

If you do go for a smaller 250cc bike then definately make it the plan to be a short term gap and FOCUS on using it to improve riding skills to get up to a much safer bike.

BUT, you are in NYC ? I'd not ride the streets on ANY bike and wait and get a car license
    Wasn't saying 600 bikes are slower, let alone Jap bikes. What I said is based on the behavior I had myself when I drove a friend's CBR, and his same thoughts on the subject. I actually couldn't find a relatively novice riders with a 600cc bike not agreeing with that, to an extent. Meaning it first takes them to understand you're not insulting their bikes, just asking how they ride it.

I see you're point on the 1000c use of gears, and it's true. On the other hand given we are talking about a novice rider, I don't think he should use power to get around corners or anything.

Entry level Ducatis aren't that expensive to maintain, really.
    Even more with the newer models.

I suppose a Bandit should be cheaper to buy though, especially over there. As far as I understood, Ducatis tend to be even more expensive around the world.

250cc, 250cc, 250cc, 250cc.

The other thing to keep in mind on this topic is that it's a lot like owning a super car. If you go and buy a Yamaha R1, or Ducati 1098 or (God forbid) a Hayabusa, you are never going to use more than about 25%-30% of its capability unless you go to a track. So while you'll never need or use the full power, virtually, ever; buy a 250cc and you'll be able to use a lot more of the bikes capabilities far more often which IMO makes for a more enjoyable experience unless you live in Germany or next to a track.

Also, and this is a point I didn't think of but I think needs reiterating since it's been mentioned, the insurance cost of a 1000+ cc machine will be insane... indeed the insurance on a 250cc will also be insane but not quite as horrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    I actually couldn't find a relatively novice riders with a 600cc bike not agreeing with that, to an extent
    Think it may be roads and/or cultural differences then.
    talking about a novice rider, I don't think he should use power to get around corners or anything.
    That's the problem with the smaller bikes the rider seldom learns the skill to use the throttle and lean angle of the bike to steer it. SO .... when if they ever find themselves needing to turn tighter for whatever reason - avoid something - then the lack the MAIN skill on a bike to lean and throttle. THe suspension dips and the bike turns tighter it doens't need to be much faster. Seen dozens of guys screw it up when they msot need a skill to find they never learned it. You can't learn it on tarmac on a light, low power bike.
    But again, most lieklyt a difference in national bike riding styles and roads

Entry level Ducatis aren't that expensive to maintain, really.
    Even more with the newer models.
    Not at UK prices and service intervals and costs
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

That's the problem with the smaller bikes the rider seldom learns the skill to use the throttle and lean angle of the bike to steer it. SO .... when if they ever find themselves needing to turn tighter for whatever reason - avoid something - then the lack the MAIN skill on a bike to lean and throttle. THe suspension dips and the bike turns tighter it doens't need to be much faster. Seen dozens of guys screw it up when they msot need a skill to find they never learned it. You can't learn it on tarmac on a light, low power bike.

Not at UK prices and service intervals and costs
    Just consider I learned how to ride a bike through my early days on the aformentioned scooter, a 50cc Gilera Runner.

Considering its ungoverned top speed was about 95-ish km/h, I was almost every time flat out, so I've learned to get over corners differently, as the additional power at high revs/speeds (CVT) was zero or very minimal.
    I've found a very little pressure ont he rear brake was doing the job most of the time, or even just realizing you can lean even on a scooter, even if you look ridiculous.

The problem about being always riding shotgun is that you don't really judge the road because you think you can't get into troubles with so little power. Wrong. It's a bit worse with 125cc/250cc scooters as you have much more power, and also much more weight.

Fortunately for me, it didn't take much to realize that, and when I got my accident I wasn't even riding foolishly. Just to show that shit happens and power isn't the only reason why people die or keep living on a wheelchair.
    I knew a guy, bit younger than me. He was a riot on two wheels. Then one day he was quitely riding home, got distracted and I think he lost the scooter on a manhole or something, and hit the sidewalk. That was the last time he could feel his legs.

I think some of the worse riders own the Yamaha T-Max.
    No as fast as a bike, as much as expensive, less agile, maybe just a bit more comfortable.
    Porsche Cayenne comes to mind.

I find that I lean and power out of things more on my 105cc postie bike than on my Bonnie, my feeling being that that's due to it being a light, low power bike. I don't want to brake if I don't have to, so powering through things is the options I take. The Bonnie I find is harder to lean suddenly into things due to its high weight and high polar intertia (heavier wheels and whatnot). I really like its stability when I am leaning through things and hitting rough roads and whatnot (been chucked off the seat a few times..) but it's not the fastest reacting bike. TBH I think most riders would be surprised at just how much fun it is to hurl a postie through a series of tight corners.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

First bike was a Honda 125 ... old and tired, so likely up there with your postie
    Bonnie has quite a tame head rake iirc so direction change is going to be challenging.
    I've realised when I was reading and putting in my tuppence that I ride the TT circuit and was reflecting more of those experiences and Scottish twisties more than town riding For town and in traffic the nimbler/lighter 250 is liekly better.

Coolie -

Just some quick food for thought.

I'm 22 now, but occasionally rode a 250 starting around age 14. With minimal experience, I bought a 2004 Yamaha FZ1 (1000cc) when I was 19.

I've never ridden a 600cc bike, but honestly, I handled the FZ1 just fine. It was big, heavy, and powerful - but I always respected it and never rode outside my capabilities, and never even attempted to test the limits of the bike or my own riding skill (besides accident avoidance, which you'll experience AT LEAST monthly).

It all comes down to your maturity level; nobody wants to admit that they themselves are an idiot, but you need to have the self-awareness to predict whether you're the type of person who will kill themselves on a motorcycle. I think if you truly comprehend what you're getting yourself into, as I did, then you'll scare yourself into being a safe rider.

Besides, it doesn't really matter what bike you're riding when some idiot is texting on his phone and abruptly turns in front of you, leaving you zero time to react. You become equally dead on a 250 or 1,000. I highly recommend watching motorcycle accident footage prior to making ANY purchase - you need to know the realities and the danger.

LiveLeak.com - Redefining the Media

Be warned ^^
    Last edited by TVRs4eva; 04-20-2011 at 08:22 PM.
    Reutlingen/ San Francisco

coolieman, did you not just recently cruise at night in one of your cars at like 130 mph?

Guys, do you think that a guy that drives like that should ride a 600cc bike?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    coolieman, did you not just recently cruise at night in one of your cars at like 130 mph?

Guys, do you think that a guy that drives like that should ride a 600cc bike?
    Rhetorical question is rhetorical, still necessary.

I do remember his reviews on the family's cars, which is way I advised low powerful bikes, even if I do agree with TVR. Idiots are idiots, no matter what they are riding, and idiots driving a car without respecting others are still iditio driving a car without respecting other folks on the road, no matter what you're riding.

Thread Information