Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can a car be too secure for normal driving and have therefore no fun.

But if he is thinking about Swift Sports and 2 1.5s, the Elise is very removed from those in terms of running conditions. Furthermore, how easy will it be to service a Lotus in New Zealand?

An MX-5 manages to be a sportscar in a more or less similar vein to the Lotus, without all the day to day incovenients.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

An Elise costs about NZ$40-60,000. Well outside the NZ$15,000-25,000, I am looking at spending. Also servicing may also be more difficult here in NZ.
    We work to live, and to live is to drive a BMW 330i at speed.

https://www.facebook.com/BMW330iMSport/

Quote Originally Posted by kiwitt View Post
    An Elise costs about NZ$40-60,000. Well outside the NZ$15,000-25,000, I am looking at spending. Also servicing may also be more difficult here in NZ.
    I was going by USD you can get a used one for between $25,000 and $30,000 american dollars. I just looked on ebay.com

Not sure of US, but over here be VERY wary of Elise on eBay
    A thrashed Elise is not a pleasant drive
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    yeah pimento I agree on the reason the industry and officialdom does it BUT i do think that then we jsut end up with worse drivers.
    Personally I'd put a 6 inch spike pointing up from the steering wheel for the first year of everyone driving so they concentrate and realise there ARE consequence to driving around in a dream
    haha what that was my idea for dealing with new license holders great minds etc..
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwitt View Post
    I had considered the Integra as well ... I give this some thought ... and that is another car like the Celica ... which in 5 years time maybe very "rough". So todays cars are the only real option.
    there will always be pristine examples of older cars around if you take your time searching. a friend picked up an immaculate hardtop first gen mx5, complete with supercharger.
    failing that, i do think older cars should be an option if you want something you can push harder at lower speeds.
    given their classic status you'll be able to find something in pristine condition - a datsun of some type, Mk1 GTI, etc etc

hairdresser's car my ass!
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore GS/E View Post
    Just asking... was the Opel Speedster/ Vauxhall VX220 sold as a Holden in Australia? If it was, I'd recommend that.
    I agree, but I would.
    I have never had fun in anything front wheel drive. Just sayin.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

VX220 is rwd and lotus based iirc?
    as for FWD integra typeR, mk1 GTI and mini coopers are a barrel of laughs when you hit the twisty's
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by crisis View Post
    You need to drive an original Mini, dude. Or a Moke.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

I agree, but I would.
    In an FWD there is so much more space to have real fun.....and as Russell mentioned, try the handbrake move in an original Mini...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

yah it's shame that the likes of the Clio Cup cars, Saxo and Corsa/Nova tuned/UK setup versions dont get to your shores
    But Suzuki Swift Gti ?
    All "fun" cars and can keep up with the best ... again light weight makes up and if you remove the extra stuff even more fun. Because of class structure I compete in the same as all those cars in the RX8 and on the sprint tracks I think they're having more fun than me
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I'd add the Mk1 new Mini to the fun front drivers.
    Visca Catalunya!

to each there own. I find having the tail wanting to break away one of the best feelings. I guess in a way it is the antethisis of what most people are looking forward in a car. In complete contrast to rail like handling. But to me its fun.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

yah it's shame that the likes of the Clio Cup cars, Saxo and Corsa/Nova tuned/UK setup versions dont get to your shores
    But Suzuki Swift Gti ?
    clio cup 182's have quite a following here, more so than the megane sport i think!
    i only just saw a swift gti with 240hp at the wheels those and the starlet gt's run rings around more powerful cars on tight circuits

to each there own. I find having the tail wanting to break away one of the best feelings. I guess in a way it is the antethisis of what most people are looking forward in a car. In complete contrast to rail like handling. But to me its fun.
    The Cooper S Mk 1 felt far more tail happy than the 118d, despite being front wheel drive.
    Visca Catalunya!

Not sure of US, but over here be VERY wary of Elise on eBay
    A thrashed Elise is not a pleasant drive
    I would suggest looking at it in person before buying it of course. You can look on multiple other online car buying sites as well. I like Dupont Registery personally. Good for finding cars and houses and boats...

here is one for about $35,000:
    http://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/...?itemid=911252

Thread Information