Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel cars in America

More diesel in the US would be much better. Especially since right now it's cheaper than premium and not much more pricey than regular. In New Jersey which has the cheapest gas in the country, so cheap that by law all gas stations have to be full serve, diesel is 24 cents cheaper than premium and only 6 more expensive than regular using credit of course.

I wish I saw this thread earlier to jump in on it. I currently drive 2 diesel vehicles and I love them. The third, Audi Q5, when the US gets the diesel version it will probably be swapped. Diesel makes so much sense for a daily driver. The torque is right there when you need it for instant passing power. It also provides great gas mileage and is more efficient when idling. We all know due to thermodynamics that diesel is a much more thermally efficient fuel too. As an engine it may not be as much fun because you can't rev it up and the power curve doesn't get stronger but it works well.

Our BMW 335d is amazing, the best car i've ever driven. So much torque and power. The car id ridiculously fast and can easily be tuned with a chip to go even faster. It is slightly slower than a 335i. The engine is very smooth and sounds great. very powerful and returns great mileage. If driven gingerly it can put out over 40mpg. It easily hits 36mpg. Driven hard highway i get around 32mpg. I usually get 34-35. in the city it gets high 20's

My sisters Jetta TDi is also really nice. for a small engined car it doesn't feel like a 4 cylinder, has lots of power when you need it and it pulls great on the highway. Easily getting 40 mpg and never below 30. It makes so much sense.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220 View Post
    The torque is right there when you need it for instant passing power.
    I guess this is what it comes down to as far as performance. How often do drivers need to overtake on a daily basisis (here in Adelaide in the metropolitan area = 0) vs how many time do you use standing start acceleration?
    Country driving is a different matter and perhaps freeways which we here are largely spared from…

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220 View Post

Our BMW 335d is amazing, the best car i've ever driven. So much torque and power. The car id ridiculously fast and can easily be tuned with a chip to go even faster. It is slightly slower than a 335i. The engine is very smooth and sounds great. very powerful and returns great mileage. If driven gingerly it can put out over 40mpg. It easily hits 36mpg. Driven hard highway i get around 32mpg. I usually get 34-35. in the city it gets high 20's
    What is the purchase price differential between you BMW and the similar petrol model?
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

those statistics are well researched and good information for someone who is buying a new car. but for me, buying a used car, i already have a price range picked from between $20,000 and $25,000. So if I were to buy a diesel or petrol the only difference would be how old is it or how many miles are on it. in most cases you can get more mileage from a diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by crisis View Post
    I guess this is what it comes down to as far as performance. How often do drivers need to overtake on a daily basisis (here in Adelaide in the metropolitan area = 0) vs how many time do you use standing start acceleration?
    Country driving is a different matter and perhaps freeways which we here are largely spared from…

What is the purchase price differential between you BMW and the similar petrol model?

$2,100. $40,050 for a base 335i and $42,150 for a base 335d.

335i gets 17/28 mpg 335d gets 23/26 mpg. Of course the epa ratings for gas engines is always more liberal but for diesel its more conservative.

not to mention BMW has a $4,500 eco credit refund on the 335d. so that puts your price down to $37,650. its cheaper than a 335i. When we got ours we received a $900 tax credit too!
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

I am glad I have someone on my side. I always thought it was funny that NJ gas was so cheap and they are one of the only states that you can get full service from... I am from upstate NY so I know about gas prices... I am seriously thinking about getting the Jetta TDI because it is such an affordable care and you can get 50mpg with it if you drive correctly. I also think that a BMW 335d would get more than 26 considering my 525i was able to accomplish an average of over 32mpg with premium gasoline.

Quote Originally Posted by FastDriver View Post
    those statistics are well researched and good information for someone who is buying a new car. but for me, buying a used car, i already have a price range picked from between $20,000 and $25,000. So if I were to buy a diesel or petrol the only difference would be how old is it or how many miles are on it. in most cases you can get more mileage from a diesel.

Go test drive a new Golf TDI, it'll serve the purpose of being a diesel car to get around, and it'll drive plenty nice as well....Plenty of get up and go even compare to GTI....starts at $24k, with trim level pretty comparable to a more expensive car. Being new it is also covered with warranty....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Ah, I hadn't understood you Pieter.

But still we have this thing caller corners. Which means that speed will not necessarily be constant (especially here in lazy, dirty, latinland). And that's where diesel really takes an advantage from petrol.
    we were talking US style, where corners are far less frequent than here
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by crisis View Post
    Petrols can overtake perfectly well, too. And for both you have to use the gearbox.

That diesels have torque everywhere and always accelerate fast is a plain lie.

EDIT As for cost studies and a massive argument, we already did it here:

Diesel or petrol? - Page 4 - Ultimatecarpage.com forums
    Last edited by Ferrer; 05-10-2011 at 11:23 PM.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by culver View Post
    The exception being diesel trucks have been popular for a while.
    It's ok though, because apparently the done thing there is to get them spewing as much soot as possible.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

That diesels have torque everywhere and always accelerate fast is a plain lie.
    but that is also not was is normally being said. It is better to state that Diesels have (abundant) torque in rev regions that you normally use, which makes it a rather comfy engine.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    but that is also not was is normally being said. It is better to state that Diesels have (abundant) torque in rev regions that you normally use, which makes it a rather comfy engine.
    Mid-range is good indeed, like most turbocharged engines (including petrol ones), but powerband is narrow.
    Visca Catalunya!

i quite highly recommend the polo tdi.. i think it was a 1.6 or 1.8. was quite a bit of fun and frugal.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    i quite highly recommend the polo tdi.. i think it was a 1.6 or 1.8. was quite a bit of fun and frugal.
    Fabia...

Visca Catalunya!

Mid-range is good indeed, like most turbocharged engines (including petrol ones), but powerband is narrow.
    and so is mated to a different gearbox and diff ratios to use the TORQUE and not require such a wide powerband.

The problem of trying to compare an engine in isolation for cost/benefits

Fabia VRS really is a special tool and there are times I've been surprised when I've driven her car at how quickly you make progress.
    BUT, on a purely *PERSONAL* value I prefer to use the gears and have a high revving engine. Purely an aesthetic.

Of course tho' FWD and a heavier lump is a fight it cannot win
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Go test drive a new Golf TDI, it'll serve the purpose of being a diesel car to get around, and it'll drive plenty nice as well....Plenty of get up and go even compare to GTI....starts at $24k, with trim level pretty comparable to a more expensive car. Being new it is also covered with warranty....
    I was thinking more of a family sized vehicle as i mentioned before, but the GTI is a good car if you don't have kids

Thread Information